Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

Level reduction equipment

I may have missed the plot altogether, but I would really like equipment that lowers your attack and defence levels.

I am referring to something that allows you to keep training on animals that you have passed the defence level for, eg -5 levels in defence, a level 23 player could have a decent challenge against Bob the Gob again.

If the item was a cape that allowed one of either attack or defence reduction, a player could focus on a particular strength and round off their character's levels.

Feel free to pick faults, or point me to a post that says the same thing that has been refused, I couldn't find any but then I could only think of a couple of suitable keywords.

Edited by LabRat

I think level - reduction suggestions havent been on here because at first it doesnt seem appealing to delibarately lower you levels, but your explanaition makes it something to think about

I dont know if I am pro or against this one ... there could be some negative side effects hidden which I dont see atm but you make it seem like a nice idea.

I for one like my a/d to be the same level.

Then people would stay forever on the monster they like because of drops or whatever, I think it will only make some spawns really crowded, like ogres are already crowded some people like their a/d exp so much that would stick forever on it.

I though of this at least a million times, if not more :)

But then I think that, if this was implemented, very bad things would happen. For example, i trained in ogres for about 20 levels, from 45 to 65 a/d or so, moreless. Wich such mechanism, I would be training ogres until 80 a/d :P Why? Cause the drops are much better, they do far less damage than orcs, and they respawn at the lightning speed :P Same goes for trolls if you dont mind not taking any attack experience, they do have even better drops. So, you could pass from gobs to big gargs, and from them to ogres and from them to fluffy it you wish.

Solution:

More monsters with different qualities that are best for you at that moment of a/d

There has allready been a large extra input for lower up to medium-high monsters in the past few months

The gap between current and next monster is a lot less allready

Only between ogres - arctic chim we could need some more monsters and than there is quite a lot of variety to choose from new lvls up to top lvls

I wouldnt complain if there would come even MORE monsters, but in that area new monsters are most usefull to introduce I think.

yea u can train on higher level monsters, but the gap from orge to cyc after you can pwn0rz orges fast and move to cycs you become an infant in the hands of a beast

why would we do that when you can just train on high lvl monsters? x.x

Because some higher levelled monsters give better att than def experience (or vice versa)

I just turned my attention to trolls for training. Good defense EXP but hardly any att exp

So I would like to go back to armed male goblins for my att experience to level my a/d again

That's where this might come in the picture

In my previous post I wasnt trying to give negative commentary to the variety of animals/creatures ingame, on the contrary, I tried to say I like the additions in new monsters in the past few months. Armed skells, Phantoms, Armed fem and male orcs, the mini-men, etc. But maybe a few new ones in between Ogres - Fluffies - Chims (- and/or above) for more variety there, since allmost all I hear ingame or on Forums is bitching about to few Ogre/Fluffie Spawns. I aint training on ogres yet but with my levels I could, so I cant yet tell for myself, but from what I hear I keep my fingers crossed when changing to ogres.

Maybe now with the coming new monsters like Giants and those Furry Ice Man (Yeti's? iirc)

So, hardly any b*tching from me for this cool game :) allmost only thumbs up :P

this doesnt make any sence

Yes, it does, if you could train on ogres at 80 a/d, with the drops of ogres but taking 2-3k exp for each critter, you would not say that... Though, anyway, you will never get that advantage if you have an high p/c. It is a matter of choices, if you plan to train on creatures, this is a good thing, if you plan to pvp, this does not matter, since you need huge p/c.

Anyway, this would harm the dinamics of the game, wich is why I dont like this. At least, at the current stage.

yea u can train on higher level monsters, but the gap from orge to cyc after you can pwn0rz orges fast and move to cycs you become an infant in the hands of a beast

Armer orcs. There are plenty if you look around, and they are good exp in both a/d.

this doesnt make any sence

Yes, it does, if you could train on ogres at 80 a/d, with the drops of ogres but taking 2-3k exp for each critter, you would not say that...

...i would. one of the best things about lvling up is that now you can kill that cycs that used to chase you thru grubani, why would you want to go back to when you couldnt? ...also, ogres suck>.< even at the rec lvl for them you only get a few hundred att xp per ogre (unless you have like 10/20 p/c), would never want to stay on them longer than i had to.

Obviously, your experience is quite different from mine with ogres.

Im at 78/71, and still can get near 800exp from an ogre. Maybe you dont know about the concept of self limiting p/c to raise a/d and overall quicker :angry: Read what I say in my post, before answering, please.

Why would you want that? To quote myself "It is a matter of choices, if you plan to train on creatures, this is a good thing, if you plan to pvp, this does not matter, since you need huge p/c".

And another reason, you can wear off that item, and continue killing clops, if that makes you happy. So, it is a good thing if you want to train.

Having cleared that, I still say that I dont like this proposal. I was just explaining with I think that LabRat thought to propose this idea. To raise exp, is good, but well.... First, combat skills do not need more experience, instead, I would put a capo on the system... It is by far the most easy exp and way to level overall, overall (lol) at higher levels.

Im at 78/71, and still can get near 800exp from an ogre. Maybe you dont know about the concept of self limiting p/c to raise a/d and overall quicker :icon13:

IMO 800xp per ogre sucks >.<

about the actual topic though- when you are new killing gobs for 20/20 xp or w/e 20/20 xp is alot because you only need 10k xp or so for the next lvl, when you need 500k-1mill for next lvl that old 20/20 xp isnt going to cut it, even if the fight evens out to a good one and the lowered a/d results in higher xp from the gob, it just wont be enough to be worth it. :icon13:

why kill a bunny when you can take a beaver? :):icon13:

Ahh ghengas, 800 exp from ogres suck at those levels, now I train in armed orc and get +2k exp from each.

At the levels you are supposed to train in ogres (60~ a/d), you get 2k+ or so from each ogre. And at 45 a/d, with a tit long you get also around 2k exp from ogre). Not a bad deal at that stage :ph34r: Of course, those numbers does not apply if you are 40/40 p/c and 45 a/d, in that case, go to the arena, and forget about monsters, wich is what this topic is about.

But that is not the topic. The topic is that there was a reason for that proposal. Still, Im not supporting that reason.

Edited by m_bee

Having something which temporarily drops your level to make monsters more challenging (and increasing their experience value) seems like a fudge to get some of the reset exploit, without the pain of re-levelling.

Then again, in future there could be curses (etc) which reduce levels (recovered at 1/min as usual), which could be exploited for the same ends.

Or the suggestion could be interpreted as a desire for more variety in opponents at a particular level of ability. While adding more monster types is expensive (in terms of development), a complementary approach is to vary the strength of monsters, to give an decent overlap in abilities with the next higher/lower rated type.

Since sizes can now be scaled, this could be used to give a visual representation of a creature's adjusted strength. So look for smaller Ogres to begin with, and avoid the really huge ones :ph34r: Drops percentages would have to be adjusted as well of course!

Variable monster strengths originally suggested in the Drops constrolled... thread.

Additional options:

• Creatures start small when spawned, and increase in size the longer they live, upto some maximum at a decreasing rate. Thus if you spawn sit you'll only be killing worthless puppies, so spread out and find the bigger beasties.
  • Slightly off topic; but shouldn't creatures recover from damage if they survive a combat? (I don't think they do, but I maybe wrong). I would suggest a growth boost after a kill (not after just surviving, which could be exploited!), but this would be pointless if they didn't also recover as well.
  • Slightly off topic again; there could be a chance that a creature that kills gets blood lust, red name and ignoring Monster Magnetism (as in an invasion). Again, not worthwhile unless creatures recover from damage.
Edited by trollson

I dont like the idea of being able to lower your level to get more exp. It seems like cheating the system. However from reading what labrat orgainally suggested it soundly like he ment doing it so they still auto attack you, meaning you dont have to chase after them as much.

I like this idea, as long as there's a limit to it (to stop afk training) so maybe we could use this as a potion (i would say spell to, but must fighters have a high magic level, meaning its easy for them to use). So the potion could make all monsters, and maybe animals to, attack you on sight for a few minutes, or maybe if its possible it lasts for 5 mins but every minute the area in which the monsters has to be to auto attack you gets smaller, but thats harder to code and doesn't really add much so just have them auto attack you for a few minutes would work.

Ahh ghengas, 800 exp from ogres suck at those levels, now I train in armed orc and get +2k exp from each.

At the levels you are supposed to train in ogres (60~ a/d), you get 2k+ or so from each ogre. And at 45 a/d, with a tit long you get also around 2k exp from ogre). Not a bad deal at that stage :P Of course, those numbers does not apply if you are 40/40 p/c and 45 a/d, in that case, go to the arena, and forget about monsters, wich is what this topic is about.

erm... my a/d is mid 60's and i have very normal p/c for my a/d and if i got 2k xp from ogres i would be at the ogre spawn 24/7, its more like 700 and it sucks, lvl reduction equipment so i can stay on sucky ogres longer than i gotta? no ty.

At the levels you are supposed to train in ogres (60~ a/d), you get 2k+ or so from each ogre. And at 45 a/d, with a tit long you get also around 2k exp from ogre). Not a bad deal at that stage ;) Of course, those numbers does not apply if you are 40/40 p/c and 45 a/d, in that case, go to the arena, and forget about monsters, wich is what this topic is about.

erm... my a/d is mid 60's and i have very normal p/c for my a/d and if i got 2k xp from ogres i would be at the ogre spawn 24/7, its more like 700 and it sucks, lvl reduction equipment so i can stay on sucky ogres longer than i gotta? no ty.

I have ~2800exp, you are fighting with a sword or something?

I bet more like different concepts of what a low p/c is. I know a lot of people who trained in ogres for ages, and did not like when they had to leave ogres, cause of the good drops and exp that they were having on them.

why would we do that when you can just train on high lvl monsters? x.x

Maybe when there are not enough monster spawns?

When i try to go to bethel to train on desert chims (the right monster for me), there are lots of people there (asgnny, toomass, mufossa, nitager, masterpiter, azrakan_falcon, ohmygod, ziara, ulubatli and others) and only 3 spaws.

So i need to come back to storage and teleport myself to the place of the fluffies (where i get crappy exp) and make a fluffy spawn busy. And i bet some of them are there because mountain chim spawn is busy too, so they need another monster.

Note that some of that players should be training on mountain chimerans for exp, but instead they train on des chims for drops (and i think its perfectly honorable and cool by doing that, nothing against them) and get exp in pvp training.

Edited by Lorck