Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bharain

PK: Rules of Engagement

I've spent quite a lot of time sitting around PK and something has come to my attention:

When guilds are at war the only people fighting are the strongest ones online at that time.

Wouldn't it be more fun if PK was full of people of many strengths all fighting each other? To this end i suggest when war is declared a few rules are agreed on:

1) Sort your members into "weight categories" (based on iknow combat level) and only fight people within your own weight.

2) No tag teaming in single combat. All this achieves is taking rostos from people and making them less willing to fight. They already lost if they're trying to flee.

3) Don't make it personal. Keep communication and trade open, don't bagjump your "enemy", etc.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

This does make plenty of sense, however, if two guilds were at war, do you think that they would actually take the time to sort everyone in weight catergories?

I honestly don't.

Most of the time it's just- 'an enemy! Must KILL!'

and yes, i do agree that it does make people less willing to fight, and it is a pain for them to always be on alert and running when it comes to pvp.

But, if we take a look in RL. What happens with fighting there?

Lets say you are a small scrawny person...not very strong. And a huge buff man sees you and you hate each other very much. Would he hold back in kicking your ass? No...not unless it was in public and there were cops around ;p

Just like gangs...they'll do anything to get the other gang to fear them or w/e their goal is.

-kat

If PK was like this it would be 100x more fun, killing people who are lower lvls than yourself is boring

But i doubt it will ever happen, certain guild and people (not mentioning any names toomass) just kill anyone with a red tag, is kinda sad. Ages ago when the top people only had 50/50 a/d it was much more fun, everyone had a chance to fight and win.

I think it could be fun. if you could get your items back if you die, lol. Since thats not likly to happen I best wait for a No Drop day :)

P.S. My guild doesnt have any enemies at this time.

Edited by Sweettea

.... certain guild and people (not mentioning any names toomass) just kill anyone with a red tag, .....

:):D

(Btw, this belongs in suggestions)

Edited by Rend

Please forgive me, but what are enemies meant for if we shouldn't kill people with red tag?

he didn't say that, he just ment it would be more fun if people only fought their own a/ds so then everyone can participate.

I support this idea :)

I think its a great idea and i think it will not work in that way, no time to know the enemy weight but if ent make a change on the game who will block ppl with diferent stats attack each other it could work

example a 60s a/d char can only attack other 60s char, 70s to 70s, 80 to 80s...

And please sorry about my english :)

I think its a great idea and i think it will not work in that way, no time to know the enemy weight but if ent make a change on the game who will block ppl with diferent stats attack each other it could work

And please sorry about my english :D

I don't like the idea of hard coding limits, we still need villains :)

Also i'd like to be able to take revenge on scammers/bagjumpers or people who attack in pvp :)

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Sure, make as much sense as posting a suggestion on the General Chat part of the forum.

As this post has nothing to do with development i didn't feel it belonged in "Development > Suggestions - General, Misc" and fitted better in "chat about various stuff in the game.".

And please sorry about my english :)

I don't like the idea of hard coding limits, we still need villains :D

Also i'd like to be able to take revenge on scammers/bagjumpers or people who attack in pvp :)

u won't hear me AGREE w/ those for villians often, but here i do. i don't think people should be sujected to classes globally. i think there maybe should be certain areas like certain "civilized" arenas that impose classes but they should still have a bit of difference between them so there is some challenge. possibly 1-2 of the less populated PK maps as well (would help them become populated) which would be great for "civilized" wars.

the rest of the arenas, and MOST of the PK maps should no only NOT have this feature but should ALWAYS be multi-combat that way even several weaker players can take a few stronger players down to even give the top fighters some sort of challenge to where they don't have to pick on just 1 weaker player they can actually challenge themselves. at least then we would know the difference between the civilized and the villanous that deserve anything that any1 can impose on them.

btw, in my guild, our policy is to only choose fights w/ those w/ no less than 3/4 of our own Material Points, since w/ the privacy feature it's the only guage we can reliably go by. exept if the combat system gets fixed, or if there is any other way we can find a situation of a general melee, because then we won't have time to choose our targets.

Hmm - no real comment to this, as I see the only real way to fix the problem to be a change of player mindset - if you want the most fun out of your fights, choose some that actually last at least 5 blows. I mean, I know how boring it is for me taking on gargs, and it's not a total sure bet I'll win, but it's almost guaranteed unless I'm doing something stupid - I can only imagine how boring it must be for the 100+ a/d PKers taking on the <20 a/d newbies...

On a related matter, I don't see how this is a game development issue, so I'm wondering what this is doing here. Then again, I'm just a player, so what do I know anyway? :D

I would love to see some Etiquette in PK, but...

there is one problem - such rules are not forcable in any way.

Vanyel

Demoncowboy if all the maps were multi people would be able to attack trainers all the time and that would suck because if you dis ur partner is still screwed

On a related matter, I don't see how this is a game development issue, so I'm wondering what this is doing here. Then again, I'm just a player, so what do I know anyway? :(

Because the only way it's possible is to make it coded into the game. Relying only on player mindset is useless.

On a related matter, I don't see how this is a game development issue, so I'm wondering what this is doing here. Then again, I'm just a player, so what do I know anyway? :(

Because the only way it's possible is to make it coded into the game. Relying only on player mindset is useless.

Ah - I knew there had to be some reasoning behind it. Thank you for clearing that one up.

Still not sure how a development solution can help this any, but if it can, that could help the game some.

my 2cent...

the real 'problem' is that pk is very expensive. If you fight people that can kill you, you need good gear and a rosto. If you die the rosto is gone, plus several potions and health essences and maybe even some item broke. That's a loss of more than 12k gc. If you win you have still a loss.

I fight stronger players quite often, because I think it's fun. But I die a lot and already lost a quite a few rostogol stones. After some time that's really annoying, because there's no fun anymore if you have to work several hours, to get the money for one single fight. So it's only natural that players pick on the weaker ones.

Demoncowboy if all the maps were multi people would be able to attack trainers all the time and that would suck because if you dis ur partner is still screwed

i merely suggested that all the "lawless" PK maps that weren't lvl coded would be multi. that way ppl might still trian there in decent size groups, and when 1 person goes in there attacking trainers the rest could, (and probably would) jump on the attacker, making them think 2ice about doing it again.

as far as the "civilized" pk maps and arenas, make only 1 of those MAPS (not arenas) multi combat for the "civilized" wars. i hope that cleared that idea up a tiny bit more.

my 2cent...

the real 'problem' is that pk is very expensive. If you fight people that can kill you, you need good gear and a rosto. If you die the rosto is gone, plus several potions and health essences and maybe even some item broke. That's a loss of more than 12k gc. If you win you have still a loss.

I fight stronger players quite often, because I think it's fun. But I die a lot and already lost a quite a few rostogol stones. After some time that's really annoying, because there's no fun anymore if you have to work several hours, to get the money for one single fight. So it's only natural that players pick on the weaker ones.

well any good fight that's going to give u any decent experience is going to cost u in ESS, BRs, SRs, etc. whether ur training on monsters, or ppl. i choose monsters that sometimes kill me when my dialup lags too much, or i'm just being stupid and not paying attention. and i use alot of stuff and it is expensive, (well not too expensive for me i make my own pots/ess and sell some to others for the armor i need) but i also get VERY good exp per creature.

in PvP situations, whether to the death or not, if you want good exp then its going to be expensive. a 50/50 a/d fighter could make 10k exp fighting 100 ppl their own lvl, or can fight 1000, ppl w/ an a/d of 10/10. ( numbers were just made up on the spot to show the point, no math was applied) imo it's alot easier to find 100 ppl that would be more willing to fight, than having to trick 1000 ppl into it against their will.

my 2cent...

Oh, i agreed with Kl4uz, OMG. :)

Yeah, you spend rostogol stones and the opponent too.

So if you lose rostogol lost, if you win you see a funny deathmessage of an enemy. If you kill lower levels you get with the death message some newb itens.

And it has the possibility of your uber crown or sword breaks while fighting. And there are Branch of Destructions created for destruction of yours best itens.

So in pk you dont get almost anything and risk losing yours stuff. Thanks, i think i will stay on fluffies/chims till pk get feasible again.

From reading all this I had an idea I dont know if it would be possible.

An arena fairly large but only one where you can train say you must agree like a trade to fight or maybe only people within a certain range of your skill, in the arena you can pvp fairly safely but have say a reduced amount of exp so that you can go to normal pk to risk death but get faster exp.

From reading all this I had an idea I dont know if it would be possible.

An arena fairly large but only one where you can train say you must agree like a trade to fight or maybe only people within a certain range of your skill, in the arena you can pvp fairly safely but have say a reduced amount of exp so that you can go to normal pk to risk death but get faster exp.

Err... exactly in what whay restricting pk will make pk fights more frequent and more fun? :D

Oh, if you want to train without nobody harassing you, you can opt to buy a guild map for a guild, and a bot to protect a small pk area inside. :P

The pk maps are usually empty because there are little to nothing to gain there (except def exp while training pvp), and lots to lose.

Edited by Lorck

As I was perusing through the outlaw part of the forums I came across a newbie complaining about being killed and "bagjumped"

Now this newbie came out with the idea of a no death pk area called a training arena which we all know would not work as everyone would flock to it and afk train

but it got me thinking a training arena where people dont have to worry about pk......what would do that

then I clicked

How about a training arena that does no drops similar to no drop day

You can still die hence you have to use ess etc but when you die youdon't lose your items...that way you have to do the walk of shame come back and try again

people stop flooding the forums with crap crybaby pk charges and people get to do serious training also you could induct a weight range in this arena so that someone like fireballs couldnt attack me (:icon13:) as he is wayyy to strong and it would be pointless

Just a thought for the devs ...not to mention a challenge