Eternal Lands Official Forums
Nyxl

[Death message]What or who killed me ?

Something has been eating me for a few weeks, now.

Circumstances : Nordcarn "blue" cave was still a PK-area at the time. I was mining and shuttling sapphires, having met and greeted a few decent trainer & trainee couples. All was going well until I pressed F1 to check on my chat log. Murphy's law being what it is, I soon saw a red message saying "Nyxl has gone to see his/her maker" or similar (mind you, I'm not a Norwegian Blue Parrot, I'm a Silver Tatsu; I have whiskers, not feathers).

No log of who did it to me. Not the slightest brag, banter, boast or taunt. My guess is that the winner did not want me to congratulate him on earning 2 health essences (which is really what I wanted to do). Quick investigations led me to think that it was either a CA$H or a Viking. Nevermind that.

I've also noticed, being curious about the new creatures, that the same lack of log message about what killed you happen when you confront any creature (nice underworld for Irilion, by the way).

Here's my suggestion (the point of this topic), or question.

Is it possible to mention the name of the creature or player that gets your head, when you die ?

*Imagines dying of Radon breathing and reading the message : Mother Nature : Gotcha !...

Just think of all the spam you would get on a multi combat map if 8 people were killing you ... or you only see the one person that did the killing blow and not the fluffy and others that assisted.

Just think of all the spam you would get on a multi combat map if 8 people were killing you ... or you only see the one person that did the killing blow and not the fluffy and others that assisted.

Person has met his/er maker! the killing blow was struck by Player, assisted by APlayer, Player17, a fluffy rabbit, a mountain chimeran wolf, and RandomMage!

it need not be spammy

Yes, of course, I meant only the one that landed the lethal blow. Anyway, I doubt one would be as stupid as me and look elsewhere when on a multi-attack, PK-area... :D

actually i'd vote for that too i'd like to know what got me sometimes as well because i'm doing something stupid like chatting in F1 in the wrong place - or in the case of my dialup - just lagging it would b a great help at times

I wouldn't say this is a must-have, but I definitely would not mind it... First 2-3 days I played EL, I didn't even know portland had bob the gob on it, but a couple of times I went afk to come back and find myself in the underworld.

I think it is a great idea. I was wondering through KF one day (just wanted to see how long i could last 1.30min btw) and all i saw was a dwarf run up and me and splat i was dead. Would be nice to see who did, just so I could say to my mates!

yes, usefull to look back in ur logs who did the final blow on a enemy

and who killed who after many fights

Yup, just a message who hit the final slash, that would be nice :icon13:

Piper

Or.. who did most damage ?

Yup, just a message who hit the final slash, that would be nice :D

Piper

Or.. who did most damage ?

well i'd still want to know who got the final hit and who was the 1 who walked onto my DB but maybe we could add both like maybe we could add a message that said both that wasn't spammy like:

in case of multiple ppl attacking and 1 making final strike and 1 other doing most dammage:

You were killed by soNso greatly helped by WhatzIsFace, any other attackers weren't worth noting

in case of multiple attack where final blow was done by person doing most dammage:

You were killed byWatzmahoozit - any other attackers weren't worth mentioning

and a kill by a single attacker would be obvious ...lol no point in typing that

While we're at this, could we have all death messages starting with the same pattern, like #DM for example?

#DM: virtut took a long walk off a short pier

which combined with the original suggestion would be something like:

#DM: virtut took a long walk off a short pier. the killing blow was struck by Player, assisted by APlayer, Player17, a fluffy rabbit, a mountain chimeran wolf, and RandomMage!

That way we can use grep and wc to see how manyy times we died or how many pplp we killed.

Thx :D

Edited by Ornitorrinco

While we're at this, could we have all death messages starting with the same pattern, like #DM for example?

I would suggest without the #, because that's used for commands. But DM: <message> would work for me. I think it could be quite handy.

# is commands for everyone, not just mods (though they have more to choose from). I mean, guild messages - #gm. or joining a channel - #jc <number/name>. What if you want to use the keyboard to check the #date, or if there's a random #day, or even to set a #mark on a map? (there's more, but I just wanted to put a few down.)

How about not goign AFK and/or looking at the console in dangerous places?

well that still isn't going to fix lag - server or otherwise - it honestly does get annoying when u lag FPS shoots up to around 200 or so but exept for client-side animation everything is still then all of a sudden underworld loads and u'r there w/ no clue what put u there

How about not goign AFK and/or looking at the console in dangerous places?

It's still handy to know.

And it also happened to me that I was in a PK map, more people around me. Then suddenly one of them attacks me and kills me. How do I know which of them was it? And how should I remember 4-5 people who I don't know anyway?

Yup, just a message who hit the final slash, that would be nice :P

Ditto

Yeah good idea, its annoying when somthing/someone kills you with out you seeing