Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest carofino

Will there be a character wipe after beta is over?

Guest carofino

There was a post on this sometime back where a mod said that characters never will be wiped, but was not very clear about weather its for the beta server only. I want to donate money to the game but only if all the hard work I put into my character stays. Will there be a character wipe? If so, do we have a time frame? What happens when the game is no longer in beta to existing characters? When beta stops can we transfer beta characters to the main server. Again this is all so I can make the decsion to donate money or pay a monthly fee. I know you would lose most people that are playing now if you did a wipe, including me. Thanks in advance for the answer.

we don't have a beta server, the one you're on is the real thing.

it's called beta because there's still a huge amount of changes and development planned in how the game works.

when new skills are added, you'll find you probably have 0 in them, etc, but don't expect char wipes.

there are also test servers, where some of the rules don't apply (you can test bots and code and such, for example), and since they're not the real thing, they can have char wipes... but that's not something anyone should have to worry about

i know that we are only really here to help develop the game etc, but i thought the whole incentive for people to play was that when the game was finished, veterans of beta would hold an advantage over others, and i feel we deserve it, all that time etc...if you are joking, you hide it very well indeed Mr Entropy.

hmm anyhoo

Well EL in my opinion will have to change level system some day, because a newcomer needs well over a year of hard work to be able to compete at the highest level. And that hard work is mostly clicking, its not really challenging and its too repetitative. Most of the folk will stick to it for a while and give up.

I can hardly talk about el objectively, but i recently tried a game (also beta) whitch was fun at the beggining but then i asked: Hey how long will it take me to be able to fight the top guys. Answer: about a year or two. I didnt log in anymore :D

Roleplaying is ok. Unless you want to roleplay a fighter :)

@Dagar (below): Afcourse it is possible, but is still limits the potential of the game because not all people are like that.

Edited by shasso

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I've found that it is possible to play a game and enjoy it, without "being able to compete with the top guys". Go figure.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I've found that it is possible to play a game and enjoy it, without "being able to compete with the top guys". Go figure.

I fully agree. The Eternal lands experience is not only about levels, there are a lot of other things you can do. Having said that, I also see a discrepancy when it comes to fighting, and eventually some changes will have to be implemented (like the new skill system)

Based on past history there can be no guarantee that there won't be a wipe. Just play for enjoyment.

Based on past history there can be no guarantee that there won't be a wipe. Just play for enjoyment.

Based on the word "beta" there can be no guarantees at all. *shrugs* Maybe we should put up a definition of the word on the "create a new character" screen :P

my highest level is in community involvement, and that's not something they can easily wipe ^_^

that said, I do hope that no wipes happen, however if there's something like a global level adjustment(all alch'ing activities get half XP, so all peoples' alch XP gets halved, that sorta thing) to ballance the game, I'd accept that

as to fighting... the problem is that there's just so much more to do. other skills max out at around 40, there's still stuff to fight at twice that

C'mon, bring on the character wipes already! I wanna get some of this mud off my hands! :D

(jk, who needs wipes when you have the Nordflaq River?)

BTW, on an unrelated note, when we reach over 900 players online on the main server, we will have another server on, whch will be the same world and rules and everything but on that server there will be a total wipe, so the servers will be totally different from eachother in terms of players and stuff.

And no, there will be no transfering users between servers.

BTW, on an unrelated note, when we reach over 900 players online on the main server, we will have another server on, whch will be the same world and rules and everything but on that server there will be a total wipe, so the servers will be totally different from eachother in terms of players and stuff.

now that sounds like an excellent compromise between people keeping their levels&such, and new players being able to compete...

only thing on this, it'd be niftykeen to be able to send messages back and forth, maybe even buddylist linked... though once you get more than a couple servers keeping that working will be a hassle, I know

That would be impossible, as the player names on other servers will not be reserved. So everyone will be able to create characters on new servers that already exist on the other servers.

That would be impossible, as the player names on other servers will not be reserved. So everyone will be able to create characters on new servers that already exist on the other servers.

I know, and it wouldn't be simple, but it'd be possible to do a /server1:player17 sorta thing... but that may be better left to the bot makers(like the old guild messengers) anyway

cant continend 2 be on a diff server?

Then you can only play in the second continent when you make a new account on the 2nd server, that would suck ...

Well EL in my opinion will have to change level system some day, because a newcomer needs well over a year of hard work to be able to compete at the highest level. And that hard work is mostly clicking, its not really challenging and its too repetitative.

Ehm. Those people on the 'highest level' did so. If it was all removed, they'd have to do it a second or third times, and the newbies only once.

If I may.. when people bring up this reasoning, it gets extremely annoying. It may sound logical, but it's not. Once those newbies got to the uber levels, they'd have to restart, for the new newbies to be able to compete. ^_^

Then you can only play in the second continent when you make a new account on the 2nd server, that would suck ...

I imagine that if this occured, they'd be connected in a manner that'd allow your character to switch between them.

Edit: Oh. And no, there is no planned reset. There is no intended reset. But as was emphasized, there's no possibility of being sure.. I may point out the time the server went up in blue smoke, about june or july last year.

Edited by Hazor

I imagine that if this occured, they'd be connected in a manner that'd allow your character to switch between them.

Edit: Oh. And no, there is no planned reset. There is no intended reset. But as was emphasized, there's no possibility of being sure.. I may point out the time the server went up in blue smoke, about june or july last year.

If the continents were on seperate servers, a way to travel between them as if taking a boat. >.<

Edited by Hazor

Different servers would mean different top 50 lists..ect

Perhaps one server that holds the character information, and any additional servers temporarily load it for gameplay, then resaves on to the main server when a person logs out.