Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

An idea for more excitment to the game!

257 members have voted

1. 1. Please read message below fully before voting! :)

• No keep the maps and monsters as they are!
    • Yes, make these changes!

I'd rather they not be stackable so a high level player can't carry 50+ of them.

Maybe make the effect's duration depend on the player's level. Basing it on an attribute or nexus would probably be better. That way the player has to spend pickpoints for the increase. Sort of like getting the MM perk now, except in stages instead of plunking down 5 pp in an all-or-nothing deal.

I like the idea generally, but how would a player recognize an aggressive monster vs. a regular one? Or should we assume every monster is potentially aggressive?

Dave

I'd rather they not be stackable so a high level player can't carry 50+ of them.

Maybe make the effect's duration depend on the player's level. Basing it on an attribute or nexus would probably be better. That way the player has to spend pickpoints for the increase. Sort of like getting the MM perk now, except in stages instead of plunking down 5 pp in an all-or-nothing deal.

I like the idea generally, but how would a player recognize an aggressive monster vs. a regular one? Or should we assume every monster is potentially aggressive?

Dave

Base it on Charm?

It would be nice to have an alternative to MM for people that want to take occasional trips to Grubani to buy books. I started a noob character to try some things. He bought his first few grubani books just by making a run for it but the higher end books are more expensive. It would be nice to be able to rent a guard or something at Grubani docks to give a better chance of arriving at the bookseller with your gold coins intact. The single-monster amulet wouldn't help much since trolls, cyclopes, and chimmies are all fairly likely encounters.

I agree with the amulet idea, it gives you a choice so you can use it if you need to get past them to keep something, like when your mining. But you could also have the excitement of sneaking by the monsters if you want to. But what would happen to the ppl that already have the mm perk, I mean if you suddenly got rid of it would every1 that had it get there pp's back, and what would happen to all the mm cloaks in game?

- Kougria

Base it on Charm?

Perfect! I was thinking "charisma" from my D&D days - I couldn't remember the equivalent attribute here.

It opens up a whole new set of potential curses, too. Setting someone's charm to 0 would render the amulets useless.

How are attacks by current monsters on non-MM players decided now? Is there a fixed probability, or can it be modified by player characteristics?

Dave

I changed my opinion. I did not really think it through enough. I go Against this idea. I prefer things the way they are.

Edited by sparhawk

I really like this idea. i find it would make it more rp orriented. Resting in taverns because of monsters :)

There was a previous time like that. You couldn't go outside and try to train without getting bunnypwnz0rzed. Pardon my leet. If I may, it's only going to mean more dead and quitting newbies, from my view point. :/

If I may also agree with Ttlanhil, my vote goes for no, aswell.

i say...DO IT!!!

i think it would be pretty fun to have this in the game. it also gives a reason for stealth!! that's always fun? right? ^^

plus maybe we can have a use for the shield spell now?

and if things don't work out with this, we can always change it back, right?

so, lets take a risk, and have some fun!

-kat

It'd certainly promote teamplay... but, still, we'd need to make the towns larger, and more defensible... I don't like the fear element, but nuisance monsters (such as Leprechauns or highwaymen) who try to loot you on minor maps would make sense... just have higher level monsters on major maps, ie. where the best resources are to be found, (or maybe a castle/fort style map, as Swiss, duran, etc. looked into before).

Remember, too, if this is introduced, we'll need a sizeable safe area for newbies, and reminders of the monsters in the tutorial.

w000000t so this means there will be more monster spawns??

I vote for the change bc i think like Hc the game needs more spawns

I actually think it's a great idea. In fact, that was kinda our original plan for the monsters..but there'd be amulets for different types of monsters that denoted you as a friend(so they wouldn't attack). Like a goblin amulet, one for orcs, trolls, etc..

This will make crafting a better skill =)

Edited by mauriciom

If I may, it's only going to mean more dead and quitting newbies, from my view point. :/

Newbies die already at the hands of the Whitestone gargoyles and Portland goblins, not to mention Mother Nature using lethal force to defend her lilacs. (I nearly quit over that myself. Bee stings to discourage AFK harvesting are one thing; making me lose an hour's flowers was uncalled for. But that's another rant.) At least under the proposed change newbies that previously couldn't afford the Monster Magnetism perk or cape have some hope now.

Dave

I like the idea, although i don't like the idea of travelling to harvest something and being killed and loosing everything..

Guest Jondor

Bad idea.. this game is way to much about fighting already. Try to work on making it more fun for those who prefer a more peaceful career. Afaik there are only tree area's 100% save: IP, DP and Nortcarn, WS is save during the day and everywhere else those who like can run for their life and belongings..

Edited by Jondor

I agree with MoJo...

More monsters = more spawns = more fun!

But travelling with harvesting items like from mine-to-storage and being killed on the way isn't good idea... We can switch capes, from ex cape when harvesting to mm cape when travelling but what about when we harvesting outside caves (flowers in example)? When we put on ex cape, monster will kill us, when not, harvesting will be much slower...

Okay, so working from previous ideas:

You could have a simple Amulet of Protection that would give you 1 minute of monster immunity against all monsters, sold for 50gc by a Gypsy NPC on Isla Prima. This is targeted at newbies. Crafters cannot make them. 1 minute should be enough to avoid most monsters when exploring. Probably a good idea to make this one non-droppable too, just so that newbies don't get too pissed at spending their first 50gc on buying protection, only to die and lose it by accident. Non-stackable too, which would probably make it less attractive to higher-levels who need the extra inventory space.

Higher up, we have Goblin Charms, Gargoyle Charms, and various other monster charms which can also be bought from the Gypsy for higher prices, or can be crafted. These give you a time of protection equivalent to your charm level. So, a person with 15 charm who uses the Goblin Charm would stay protected for 15 minutes from all forms of goblins. If you want an hour of uninterrupted titanium harvesting from PL to WSC, buy 4 Skeleton Charms, 4 Goblin Charms and 4 Gargoyle Charms and use one of each every fifteen minutes. (ie. effects of different charms are stackable... you can charm more than one type of monster at a time).

Going further on, you could have Cursed Charms, which would give you only a probability chance of protection against all monsters, but also use your charm in another way. For example, if you use a Cursed Charm, there's only a 70% chance it will work to protect you against all monsters, BUT if you do get attacked, your charm level is added to the damage points that you do to the monster. So a person with 15 charm level and a Cursed Charm may not be able to avoid combat, but he still stands a good chance of winning it (+15 damage to each successful hit on the monster). Those could be useful for people looking for a fight in maps with different monsters.

~Shouja~

I agree with the medallions idea-that at least gives you some protection, and you have to be a little more thoughtful about where you go and what you do.

As for newbies, they'll still have Isla Prima. I don't think it's so bad that this game is hard--I always liked that about it ^_^

I like this suggestion but there is one more thing that should be changed.

Levels monsters stop attacking should be set in stone a little more.

We know goblins stop attacking at 21 def and skellies/gargs stop attacking at 26 def. I am level 42 def. right now and no other monster has stopped attacking me. The next one up is orcs at 51 def...kinda a bit spread apart

Those should probably be looked at a little more is what I am saying.

Edited by Lord_Vermor

If I may, it's only going to mean more dead and quitting newbies, from my view point. :/

Do we really need more people?

People quit. You need people to replace those people.

Not that its relevant to this topic...

I was thinking how many people have said, "I had so much fun running through a dangerous monster map without monster magnetism" or "it was so fun when we had to run away from the goblin in portland". And yeah, it was so much fun because there was a higher level of excitement! It made the game more a game.

Agreed 1000%

So, what if we placed aggressive monsters, on almost all maps...but, now keep reading!! :icon4: But, there would also be towns and cities on these maps, and these would be semi safe areas with town guards as NPC's guarding them(they'd kill of any monster that goes past them, but there is a slight chance that amonster can sneak in). In addition to that, you'd be able to Rent-A-Guard, for a pretty low price for in game minutes. When you have that body guard with you, the monster would only attack them, and not you. Of course you still have mm(which I really hate the fact that there's a perk for that but oh well :D).

This would not change pk maps/areas-they stay as they are. This is just for monsters.

Also note that we wouldn't just throw whatever monster on whtaever map. There would be low lvl monster maps(like ws, portland, votd), and medium lvl monster maps. There might be one or 2 higher lvl or medium lvl monsters mixed in, but it would be rare if at all.

Do you think this is a good idea? Would you like to see it in the game?

As to the rest of this, why bother? If the mm perk stays as it is now, and the mm cape is available to wear to any newbie and noob in EL (no level restrictions and fairly cheap and VERY easy to come by), how does this add anything at all? Everybody that doesn't have the perk will throw on their cape. In order for this to even be worth the effort, mm perk and cape need an overhaul, if not downright removal.

Edit: I would agree with this conditionally: mm perk be removed and mm cape have a level requirement to wear/use it. A LOT of the fun of the above scenario from the past was that we had goals...the goal to wear the cape that protected us, and the goals of which def level finally stoppped certain monsters from attacking us. (I do agree with LV that should be reworked as well, there are too few goals there).

Okay, so working from previous ideas:

You could have a simple Amulet of Protection that would give you 1 minute of monster immunity against all monsters, sold for 50gc by a Gypsy NPC on Isla Prima. This is targeted at newbies. Crafters cannot make them. 1 minute should be enough to avoid most monsters when exploring. Probably a good idea to make this one non-droppable too, just so that newbies don't get too pissed at spending their first 50gc on buying protection, only to die and lose it by accident. Non-stackable too, which would probably make it less attractive to higher-levels who need the extra inventory space.

Higher up, we have Goblin Charms, Gargoyle Charms, and various other monster charms which can also be bought from the Gypsy for higher prices, or can be crafted. These give you a time of protection equivalent to your charm level. So, a person with 15 charm who uses the Goblin Charm would stay protected for 15 minutes from all forms of goblins. If you want an hour of uninterrupted titanium harvesting from PL to WSC, buy 4 Skeleton Charms, 4 Goblin Charms and 4 Gargoyle Charms and use one of each every fifteen minutes. (ie. effects of different charms are stackable... you can charm more than one type of monster at a time).

Going further on, you could have Cursed Charms, which would give you only a probability chance of protection against all monsters, but also use your charm in another way. For example, if you use a Cursed Charm, there's only a 70% chance it will work to protect you against all monsters, BUT if you do get attacked, your charm level is added to the damage points that you do to the monster. So a person with 15 charm level and a Cursed Charm may not be able to avoid combat, but he still stands a good chance of winning it (+15 damage to each successful hit on the monster). Those could be useful for people looking for a fight in maps with different monsters.

~Shouja~

That's a very good summary of what could be. Oh and the amulets should be droppable-remember newbies level 1-7 I think, don't loose items when they die.

Edited by Roja

I like the idea, and I'm not a big fan of battling in general. It would provide another to earn ATT and DEF exp without as much hunting and crowding around spawn areas.

Will there be mini-monsters for the weaker and newer players? Things like imps, lizards, kobolds or insurance salesmen?

First off, so people know where I'm coming from - I'm not mainly a fighter, but I have been training recently on Female Orcs. That, and I can easily defeat gargoyles unarmored (though Large ones do give me problems at times).

That given, I must agree with the sentiment given by Hc - We do need more monster spawns (not everyone can be on at odd times like 3am Eastern US time (like I can) and see wide open spawns for the taking, and when people are on, there's so much competition over the ones there are). However, I do not feel this is the way to do it.

This idea adds no real depth to the game, just more opportunities for hack-and-slashers, or newbie-scammers.

Already, the game far more caters to fighters than any other skill. As part of my argument, I present this - when I was oa 72, I was still largely ignoring my fighting stats in favor of manufacture, alchemy, and the like. I earned oa 73 in about 1-2 weeks. Then after oa 73, there was the talk of MM not being 100% anymore (later this was declared as only pertaining to Arctic Chimerans). As I really didn't want to be attacked by anything, I felt I should train my a/d till I had at least enough to take on orcs - I was fighting gargoyles at the time. Well, I was able to get from oa 73 to 74 in about 2-3 days.

In most of the skills, you pretty much top-end by level 40; when your combat skills are 40, you barely have started - and I feel that really is dissuading to people who don't want depthless han-n-slasher chars.

In short, while more spawns may be needed, the need for something for the other skills is FAR greater, IMO.

On a sidenote - I was thinking: why not "reverse" defense ignore monsters in certain areas? You could have, say, a gargoyle in WS who really wanted a challenge, so he'd ignore people he knew were to weak to fight him (unlike the current attacking anyone under the def level, they'd attack over it). An idea I've had, needs work if it's even liked.

Another idea, for the sycophants who like running like newbies, have them be able to pay for a monster to be sent after them, with declining health something like summons?

Do we really need more people?

YES!

The natural cycle is that the game invariable loses people - so if we don't grow, we'll shrink and die (and we DON'T want that).

Besides, not all newbies are annoying imbeciles - after all, remember, you were new once.

EDIT: I think that the MM cape at least needs to stay as is - as many problems as it can cause, it is hardly worth it for me to have to be able to fight chimmies if I want to write something for a given area.

Edited by Arnieman