Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Random days

IMO it's rubbish....

Why dont you get to work on some new stuff, like weapons and armors instead of such a useless ideas...

What about tit plate? or maybe some two-handed swords? or dual wield weapons (and skills also)... think about that....

Agreed.. total rubbish... can you imagine trying to make some plate and cuisses and such on a bad day and forgetting to check first.. or deciding, "Sorry, I can't manu today for ya" because of it??

I would just not play at all on bad days.. what would be the point??

I agree, get to work on new features and UI enhancements.. You mentioned elsewhere Entrophy that you have played WOW and like some of their ideas (IE item cool down).. Loss in a game sucks! don't add more please!

- Wizz

I'm against some of these bad days, aswell. It'll be extremely hard on the newbies to be unable to eat, or have their skills not work.. Especially fighting.

All that'll come from days like being unable to eat, or not being able to make things without the worry of losing it all, is going to be everyone starting to fight, or not play for then. When that many more start fighting, it'll mean excesses of overcrowding, which will mean many more arguements about 'stealing' spawn points, meaning grudges and flamefests.

My vote goes in for being against any of it..

I think you should finish your current projects in EL before starting on something like this.

This is not a bad idea, but I think the day of fasting is rubbish. If the game ever gave that message, no one would play for that time period.

A very interesting idea. However my tuppence worth...

Each special days could have both positive and negative aspects

Characters could take advantage of the day, avoiding some activities, while persuing others instead. If its just purely a bad day, then a lot of people will probably just log off and do something else for the duration (at least it would get them to save!).

Why have days random and not anticipated?

Random occurance of special days does make sense if the effects are either good or bad, but not if you make them balanced.

It would be interesting to have a calendar for the game world, with special events falling on particular days (annually, cycles of the moon, celestial movements, etc). This could be used for other things as well. To the casual observer, such events would appear semi-random.

Interestingly, if events occur on different cycles, then they could occur in conjunction -- double (triple...) conjunctions could be days characters plan ahead for.

Ok, I think that there is more mileage in tying events and special days to an EL world calendar and celesital cycles, which would really only work if the effects for any day had some degree of balance.

Great idea, close enough to my "EL calendar" for "special items" concept where good and bad days were known in advance: like "EL independance day" in rememberence of the day when EL broke the 500 online players record, "Server Doom's Day" in rememberence of some of the worst server crashes, etc. (see also the suggestion forum for my and others ideas on the topic).

Anyway, I love it and think:

1. 10-20% chance for a special day is enough

2. special days should have a random number of effects (1 to 5).

3. special days could have good AND bad effects

4. each effect should be rated from -10 to +10 so that the server sums up the points and gives a rating : "that is going to be your worst day ever", "prepare to cry" or "Woohoo, good day for getting married" ... ways to say how good or bad it is.

5. could Instinct and/or Charm affect the chances of the good/bad effect ? that would get this attribute into the game at last.

PS: point 1 and 2 could be replaced by : Every day is special day with 0 to 5 special effects, with zero having more chances to happen.

Edit: sorry Trollson, I hadn't checked your entire post. This calendar thing is exactly what I thought of, somewhere on the suggestions forum.

Edited by Sildegaar

Hmm I like it and I dont.....

Special days adds interest definately, but I would be concerned if logging in surrounded by bears or monsters, if they were suddenly aggresive - they are in a great many maps, and would kill a great many players. TBH it would seriously make me not play on a real bad day, except maybe an hour stocking up on rabbit fur on IP - hundreds of players at IP would cause some problems I think.

Ordinary good/bad days when certain skills gain/suffer will guide players to play another skill for a while, or avoid certain places. They are good/bad days on which to do certain things, not good or bad days for everything This would be good, adding variety to the game.

What if the Gods got angryabout something, and the 'bad day' would continue until followers of that god had made a sacrifice? Maybe the attack god stops all attack exp until followers of the god kill 1000 wolves? (make it a mid-level so that most followers can participate) Then followers of the gods would need to work together to calm him down again. If they achieve the sacrifice within half a day, then the god could be so pleased he gives 20% extra exp to followers for the remaining part of the day - turning a bad day into a good day ? Then players have a controlling influence over the 'quality' of the day.

What if the Gods got angryabout something, and the 'bad day' would continue until followers of that god had made a sacrifice? Maybe the attack god stops all attack exp until followers of the god kill 1000 wolves? (make it a mid-level so that most followers can participate) Then followers of the gods would need to work together to calm him down again. If they achieve the sacrifice within half a day, then the god could be so pleased he gives 20% extra exp to followers for the remaining part of the day - turning a bad day into a good day ? Then players have a controlling influence over the 'quality' of the day.

Now that I like ;)

So in effect there is a global quest for that day (ie, time limit)? Bad effects until quest is complete, good effects for the remainder of the day if it is successful.

Can the server keep track of the number of a particular item created, or creature killed, during a day? Once the quest total is reached, sacrifice (give) these items/skins to the respective priest to attain an xp bonus?

I like the holidays/festivals. For different ones we can have speacial events. A Festival of the Moon, there could be a wolf outbreak. A holiday in rememberance of the Great War, the Fall of Bethel, the Great Cataclysm (Dah' Big Crash), The Discovery of Irilion, Role Playing Day (All people must be in Role Play when speaking on public channels or in public, exception is Market, and activities for fun), the Gnome Games (Hold a bunch of silly contests and celebrations concerning Gnomes), and days celebrating the gods, where there are invasions, parties, give-aways, and gifts to the god's worshippers, and others.

DN

I think you should finish your current projects in EL before starting on something like this.

Well, duh.

I never said that I will implement it ASAP.

This is not a bad idea, but I think the day of fasting is rubbish. If the game ever gave that message, no one would play for that time period.

Cool, less bandwidth and lag for those who's life is not dependent on powerplaying :confused:

Cool, less bandwidth and lag for those who's life is not dependent on powerplaying :D

Oh, no! Teh blasphemy! An RPG could be about something more than just levels? NEVER!!!!!11111oneoneone

Seriously, there is more to life than a pretty number and a "stat". Get out and explore other, non-quantitative skills your character was born with. (Directed outward, just building off the quoted post.)

Edited by Arnieman

Oh, no! Teh blasphemy! An RPG could be about something more than just levels?

Let's remove levels from EL and see how many people continue to play it. :battleaxe_rune:

Days of fasting sounds okay, I guess...

Great ideas here :)

Just try to keep the good and the bad events 'even' :P

Cheers!

- SisteMa`

Edited by sisteMa`

Oh, no! Teh blasphemy! An RPG could be about something more than just levels?

Let's remove levels from EL and see how many people continue to play it. :battleaxe_rune:

I was just being sarcastic with that statement - I don't advocate any removing levels from EL; just wanted to point out that some things in the game that actually tell the real worth of a character can't be measured with a number.

In a simpler form - Who cares if you're unable to eat for a day - just go do something you never do, or see something you never see, or talk to someone you never talk to... Or, if you can't take it, log off and leave us that can cope in peace.

The whole point is to have good AND bad days to balance each other out. There really is no point to having "bad" things that aren't bad.

(This reminds me of when people complain their negative perks are too negative :) )

Nobody is complaining the good things are too good...

The whole point is to have good AND bad days to balance each other out. There really is no point to having "bad" things that aren't bad.

(This reminds me of when people complain their negative perks are too negative :) )

So true. So lets make the bad things worse!

(This reminds me of when people complain their negative perks are too negative :P )

Wise words, make the whole day thing optional, if you want the good ones, you get the bad ones too! :evilgrin:

And since nobody wants the fasting day maybe we should have a Hellspawn day instead? Now that I think could be interesting! And while no eating destroys every gameplay, hellspawning would force people to be creative. :P

At least (if they chose to not change maps) they would socialize more.

Yes...worse. Let's have a day of NO WALKING! Or a day of mute (no talking).

Every time I come to this topic, I like the idea even less.

No problem, just sit down and teleport where ever you wanna go, and for no talking: Write your message on the floor with bags! :P

A day of fasting wouldnt be that much of a problem for fighters tho, and if you dont wanna fight you can always go and harvest something.