Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Unicorns

Seems I forgot some of my negative ideas... guess that's what happens when you post long posts before going to sleep.

Can only chat local.
From a roleplay standpoint, you'd think that to talk to your friends or other people, you'd need a messenger to reach them, and you could think of the #gm's and /pm's as NPC messengers.
Again, what person would talk to someone who did such an act?
You'd be without the help of your guild, unless you met one of your guildmates in local chat.

Harvest events only negative (MN pissed, cave walls, bees)same reasoning as my idea about the gods, the harvesting god wouldn't look favorably on you for killing a unicorn.

Loss of #beam me.would probably only work while #beam me is still used.
same reasoning as gods.

Hmm, my idea with the time was to make them so long that the chance of being able to afk through them wouldn't be very likely, or at the very least, pleasant. However, if time can't really be done, maybe a new NPC could be added, as a keeper of the Unicorns and a priest to all the gods. You would have to do a momentous quest (again, without the benefit of NPC help (storage, shops, Wraith...) to get him to perform a ritual for you, to restore the gods favor and remove the punishments. This could also give rise to a new map, a universal god temple/shrine, devoted to the Unicorns.

just a few more ideas.

EDIT: code fixing, and some more added.

Edited by Arnieman

lol with 30 Br's i can stay like 3 hour on fluffy for sure :)

Hey iv been thinking about this now for the last few days, and from what you guys have been comming up with, even though great ideas, and please dont take any offence because none it intended, but to do something like hellspawn, loosing items and loosing exp would be really annoying and i think it would put people off EL as well as killing unicorns.

Does anyone agree, iff you dont send me a message and i will be glad to descuss ideas.

And i would be glad to give ideas, take in ideas and opinions to help EL progress, it is one ledgend of a game and i thank the creators for what they have done

Edited by Cilestiel

I was thinking that maybe as a punishment for killing the unicorn you would/could become 'ghost-like'. Your char would become greyed out so as ppl knew what you had done. This would mean that you could not talk to anyone (pm, gm etc) as well as not being able to use storage or buy/sell items. This punishment would continue until the player has fulfilled a quest set by the Unicorn God.

maybe you cant trade with anyone for an hour?

172681[/snapback]

As they said before it would be to easy for your character to sit afk for an hour.

As punishment for killing or harming a unicorn, would it be possible to reverse the effects of the character's actions some percentage of the time? For example, a poison spell affects the caster, not the target. Heal or Body Restoration removes material points instead of restoring them. Physical attacks can bounce back and hit the attacker instead.

If you implement a karma system, the percentage of times that a spell or attack backfires is proportional to the amount of negative karma (similar to the way a character's low manu level increases the odds of losing ingredients). Otherwise, a fixed percentage would do.

With a low reversal percentage the curse could be made permanent without destroying the character. Or you could make the curse removable by completing a quest or some other atonement. Either way it wouldn't be circumvented by a "kill the 'corn, go on vacation" trick.

Dave

You know what... KILL ALL UNICORNS! Make it a REWARD to kill them, like you get lots of att exp and lots of def exp. Get a tag at the end of your name (Ux x=number of unicorns killed) BECOME A UNICORN MURDERER! This is the way it should be. And make people start to look evil, grow horns, red eyes, etc. After all, everyone is evil at heart. Muhah I love this idea.

i think it would put people off EL

I don't think negative punishments for killing unicorns would put people off of EL. In fact, I think it adds kind of a nice touch. Besides, no one is forcing you to kill that unicorn, take a negative perk, etc. Choosing whether to kill would require thinking since you have to weigh the benefits and costs. Same applies for negative perks.

Edit(s): Added quote. Realized I can't quote properly, so fixed that.

Edited by Tanyia

---Punishments (curse):

. Etheral or food points blocked and player cant increase them.

. Can't use magic or even get healed by remote heal spell.

. Potions dont work.

. cloaks dont work.

. Gets negative karma.

---Rewards:

. Drops some ingredients to make rare armors, items or weapons.

---To break the spell:

. Since the only way to give someting is using trade window, trade with unicorn X

amount of SR's or BR's. (huge amounts till the karma is restored)

If the punishment is too high, most ppl wont even bother, so i think for a fighter this will act as a break for awile, making the player less active on training and making him buy the potions (since his food level is negative he cant make the potions himself).

This are just a few ideas to add to the bucket.

Regards,

epervier

Edited by epervier

:lol: Urika (which is probably spelled wrong) :P

well i was thinking and remember reading 'when you drink the BLOOD of the purest beast (which is the unicorn)' then damnation shall follow in some way, shape or form. So instead of something happening when you kill the beast the bad thing happens when you drink its blood.

Example, mix unicorn blood with something to make an invunerabillity potion, which causes invunerabillity for a period of time, but the drinker is slowed conciderably in attacking, and the health is drained 20% of the total health each muinet untill killed, or some kind of antidote is taken. Which is also made from unicorn something.

What do u think B)

Edited by Cilestiel

how about u get half ur health points till u die

Ok, put items in storage suicide and play again. That is not a punishment.

173239[/snapback]

No map change after the potion was taken, untill effects taken effect and worn out, so the person may choose to be fully armed B) , or to be naked. :P

Still, you take a mate, drop the things and suicide. :P Its only a little annoyance. Unless you make all the inv unable to be dropped, until the effect passes.

A few thoughts from PolarBear01

Possible punishments

Loss of XP or attributes

Receive a random negative perk for a limited period e.g. 1 week

or all negative perks for a set time - how annoying would it be to have hellspawn for a week

Rewards

The reward must be worthwhile, not just XP but a new rare item perhaps a cloak or horned helm

If we are adding new creatures , how about a few polar bears to liven the place up.

Well since you don't want time period, how about Hellspawn for X amount of spawns? They couldn't go afk for a week to get rid of it, and it's pretty painful. And they couldn't just enter/exit/enter/exit rinse and repeat because of the walk. I think it would keep people from killing unicorns.

For people with hellspawn already, how about they go to hell 100% of the time until they've spawned X amount of times?

And for not being able to use #gm, channel, local, etc., most people already have their friends on AIM/MSN/ICQ/etc., so that wouldn't really hurt.

Since it's ethereal, how about losing all the SRs/BRs/Essences/etc. in storage and inventory when you kill one? That would hurt. Also, how about losing any magical sword? Losing random sigils? Disabling teleporters?

I like the random lightning strike, but I think there should be random lightning strikes in the first place... Like when it's raining and you're carrying metal things?

Whatever the Punishment will be, It absolutely has to be something that's very, very Painful yet is something that the Player Can And/Or Must Live with, if they wish to continue playing. It must be so painful to continue playing that, if a Player wishes to continue to play, they'll either need to live with the pain or Suffer through it to cure themselves.

If Hellspawn is given, Then the only Way for the player to rid themselves of it is to do a Quest; A very long Quest that takes them to many, many Maps (Perferably Many PK Maps.) Add that to having No Storage NPC access plus Health, Mana, and Food Levels remain at 0 (OK, Maybe at 1 for Health) while Mather Nature Absolutely Dispises them and the only NPCs that will talk to them is the Quest NPCs, One of them is a God Priest which will only talk to you after finishing yet another Quest!

But that's the worst case situation. There are many things that could be done.

OK, I only have one thign to say....

Giving people negative perks (considering they dont' get pick points and that the perks are just temporary) is still a horrible idea. OK, there are very few people, but some people do have all the negative perks already...like me...

I have every single negative perk except geletin bones...and have had it that way for over 6 months...plus I play fairly often. It's not that bad...

The pkable thigns sound fun though...random lignghting too.

Also, someone said havign all skills set to 0 and having them recover 1 per minute seems like a great idea...but if you have PKable with that it makes it a huge risk for hte personw ho just killed the unicorn....

I think the PK, and random lightning sounds great...but with Pk-able there should be at least a little bit of a delay before it starts, esp. if it is tied in with dropping of a/d and/or p/c...the reason for that is because you will have people sit next to unicorn spawn and as soon as someone kills it, they will go up and pk the player and take the reward. That would make the reward, worthless to the person who takes the penalty, there needs to be a little bit of time to take it to storage.

Also with the pk-able aspect I think the amount of time it lasts should be based on whats in your inventory, because its no real punishment to be killed with nothing on you. Yes, it does suck to run around for a week and do nothing but be pk-ed but maybe there should be a starting amount of time, and values set on items to take down the time as long as you are wearing them. Such as (just using numbers to show what i am talking about) 1000mins of pk time, but if you are wearing a serp that worth 100 time off and plate thats 200 time off, you would be down to 700 total mins, and so long as you dont take them off it stays like that, but if pk-ed and you lose it you still keep time off because you lost the item! (Again just using numbers to show what I mean, depending on how great reward is should reflect time of being pk-able.) So people may be a little more inclined to still carry stuff, so if they were pk-ed it would be an actual punishment. The better stuff you wear the less pk-time you would have. Wereas, if the serp would be 100mins off a iron sword should only be like 2 mins LoL :D But as someone said before this would only be a punishment if your a/d and/or your p/c was dropped because if one of the "big dogs" of el became pk-able they are just going to collect from all the noobs that think it is smart to attack them! :) Well that just another idea to throw out there.

a good drop would be a stone or horn, with which the next item u manu/craft/pot gets an modable/enriched item

172000[/snapback]

Like that idea! A choice not a chance on an EFE or Pot of Extra mana!

I hate the quest idea... this unicorn thing is way over-blowen!

Unicorns will just be forgot about with all these extremely bad punishments <_<

:P heh what about when you hold unicorn horns in pk maps.. you dont have to wait 10 seconds to attack someone :unsure: and the horn only last a limited amount of time?

Well, One thing I can suggest to give a adquate answer to this topic, as well as improve the overall game, would be to rework the whole concept of Perks.

The whole system of Perks need to be redesigned and I think that if it is going to be redesigned, it should be greatly improved overall.

But, one debatable suggestion for a curse would be that all Animals Will attack you. This may not be all that bad for most players but it can be annoying if they Swarm you for a few days. Nothing like not being able to take a step before having two Bears Multi-Jump you.

Kami I think your ideas with the Karma system & curses are the best so far. As it will open the door for other things and be easier to implement them when the time comes...and combining with with god-blessings, or a way to pay it off at a high price for godless folk is a great idea, imo. It will really bring the storyline more into the game as well.

172254[/snapback]

I don't like the idea of the karma system very much, it would introduice definite and limiting notions of what's good and what's evil into the game, which is not very exciting imo. What I find great about EL is that people are completely responsible of their actions, so choosing to be good or evil is entirely up to them, without a build-in game moral to incite them to be either.

There's no way that we can make a punishement that only lasts for X in-game days..it's just waaay too easy for that player to sit afk, and no we're not going to police afk unicorn-killers.

172254[/snapback]

The punishment could be a dreadful and permanent curse, for which, if the player wants to see it lifted, he would have to accomplish a very tough quest .

e.g.:

The unicorn is immortal, so when its mortal flesh is destroyed, its spirit/ghost remain to haunt its killer and, for example, makes the player incapable of doing any magic.

To make the spirit/ghost of the unicorn stop haunting him, the player would have to perform a very difficult ceremony, using very valuable and rare items, to help the spirit/ghost of the unicorn reincarnate itself and go away, hence lifting the curse.

As reward, there could an item that, when worn, give you some sort of good positive protection, and which can be used once to inflict instant and certain death in a fight.

Edited by reciproque