Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrMabuse

I wish more details when a Game Update is made

Hi (and Hellau & Alaaf)

I wish more details when a game update is made.

see: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11862

Bugs fixed:

- Some bugs regarding manufacturing near npc's

This says nothing.

- Is is possible (again) to manufacture at Storil or other Storage NPC's?

- Is a path to store an item changed?

Questions over questions

You have a valid point. However, 'Bug fixes' usually mean bug's that were identified and were fixed server-side. So there is absolutely no need for you to know.

The loss of being able to manu/alch at Storil was not a bug, it was deliberate.

Then it should be divided in bug-fixes client-side and bug-fixes server-side.

I'm not interested in the server-side bug-fixes.

But I wish more details if a game update is made, especially in those things which concern me as a player. The information politics could be better.

Then it should be divided in bug-fixes client-side and bug-fixes server-side.

I'm not interested in the server-side bug-fixes.

But I wish more details if a game update is made, especially in those things which concern me as a player. The information politics could be better.

Ok. Generally, you will be informed of bug fixes client side a little better (i.e. A NEW CLIENT). Therefore, you will know which is a client-update/client bug fix.

As you said, you were not interested in server-side bug fixes, which is why the description in Mihaim's post was so vague - it doesnt completely concern the player.

EDIT:Damn typos!

Edited by Placid

If you need more information and since the client is open source you can always get it yourself.

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc diff -D "2004-08-15" -N
elc > CHANGES

I'm sure that will give you an extensive list of ALL the things changed in the client code since the last release :D

Perhaps the better term is "gameplay fix".

For example:

Crafting God Quest, the NPC's says something like "we need 150 Life Essence, ... put the 150 Magic Essence in your Storage"

This is a bug-fix (for the programmer or quest-writer) and a gameplay-fix for the player.

If you write an update announcement you can write:

- Fixed Crafting God quest

or

- Fixed Crafting God quest, changed the text "life essence" into "magic essence"

The last one is (in my opinion) better, it's more specific, you are not confused.

@Sadez you forgot that I must check out the source first and then that I must type "vi CHANGES<enter>" ;-) ...and on the AS/400 everything is better

Edited by DrMabuse

@Sadez you forgot that I must check out the source first and then that I must type "vi CHANGES<enter>" ;-) ...and on the AS/400 everything is better

OMG!

Someone using AS/400! :huh:

I have one such machine in my room, but it seems to be not working properly :(

Regards

Chryzopraz

Also, if info about items added would be a bit more detailed, it would be great. Alot of

people are asking about new items after an update and majority of them can't find any

entertaiment in sitting and trying various combinations of items to get the right one...

Regards.

About the sitting and trying to find the right combination thing - it all goes back to the game's philosophy. We want to encourage people to explore and try out new things. Those that have the patience to do so should be rewarded for their time and effort. If they choose to make money by selling the recipe, that's up to them, of course. Keeping the recipe hidden is also so that players won't get bored so fast of the new items, because it'll take time to discover them.

Yes, it can be frustrating for some people - if not most people. Fine. If a player really cannot be bothered to try and find out, they will just have to buy the recipe from a player who DID find out. Time = money.

Besides, it's not as if the recipes are never released. Eventually they are posted or leaked. So all players will eventually get to know the recipe. It'll just take time.

-Lyn-

Like Sadez said, if you really want to see all the details in the client bug fixes, then look in the CVS and you can see everything.

Well, I do underestand not telling how to find the secret places, Jokers spawns etc. I love

the idea. But for me and many people trying various combinations in manufacture windows

is only the waste of time. There even was a thread on General Chat about that.

Regards.

I don't understand you here, Platyna? Why are you willing to waste your time? Why don't you just wait a few weeks, until the info is leaking somewhere?

...and on the AS/400 everything is better

OMG!

Someone using AS/400! :P

I have one such machine in my room, but it seems to be not working properly :(

Ooooh... AS/400's!! :D

I've worked with them since 1989, so if you want to contact me, I may be able to help :angry:

About the sitting and trying to find the right combination thing - it all goes back to the game's philosophy. We want to encourage people to explore and try out new things. Those that have the patience to do so should be rewarded for their time and effort. If they choose to make money by selling the recipe, that's up to them, of course. Keeping the recipe hidden is also so that players won't get bored so fast of the new items, because it'll take time to discover them.

Yes, it can be frustrating for some people - if not most people. Fine. If a player really cannot be bothered to try and find out, they will just have to buy the recipe from a player who DID find out. Time = money.

Besides, it's not as if the recipes are never released. Eventually they are posted or leaked. So all players will eventually get to know the recipe. It'll just take time.

-Lyn-

I would say that the chance of finding out things like:

1 wood handle, 12 Titanium, 1 EFE , 4 serpent stones, 1 EWE , 20 AE. Hammer needed in inv.

is virtually non-existant.

So first there should be an idea of what the item actually is, then some logical steps to point ppl in the right direction.

Example:

A new item was added; it protects your legs against the weather on Isla Prima.

We know that pumas withstand cold very well and so does wolves.

This would be fur pants, which have a formula of: 2 puma furs, 1 wolf fur, 4 leather, 10 thread.

The smart guy, would maybe think of leather pants and get some ideas there (7 leather, 10 thread), I hope you get my drift.

But isn't this already the case? Didn't you know some of the new items are the three types of axes? And that there are new clothes? This is exactly what you suggested, Derin.

On the other side, the suggestion was, that, together with a new client update, there will be available a detailed list of changed or new items, with their exact formulas. Imho this would be a waste of development time, as all the neat new things, all the easter eggs are publicly available at once and immediately. I think this will annoy any player who is kind of the explorer type.

But isn't this already the case? Didn't you know some of the new items are the three types of axes? And that there are new clothes? This is exactly what you suggested, Derin.

On the other side, the suggestion was, that, together with a new client update, there will be available a detailed list of changed or new items, with their exact formulas. Imho this would be a waste of development time, as all the neat new things, all the easter eggs are publicly available at once and immediately. I think this will annoy any player who is kind of the explorer type.

Well maybe not what the formulas are, but at least whether or not there even is one...there were people trying to figure it out before it existed. Now that is frustrating.