Eternal Lands Official Forums
Zaer

Magic Suggestions

The point is, that making p/c detrimental to the stronger spells means you have also limited the mages max emu. The mage needs to be able to last in pvp and pve. Limiting emu makes the mage less effective in instance invance type Situations. As well as limits training. Also, we dont want mages being OP, but we want them to be able to hold their own when it comes to pvp and pve.

In a sense, it would be better for a mage to be able to fire several weak to moderate spells than it would be for them to fire a few OP spells.

Edit

Though high lvl mages should have a few powerful spells in their arsenal that would cost a lot of mana.

Edited by Affliction

The mana thing is a good way to look at it

Mage clothes give mana, CoM gives mana, Vital/Will give mana, So a full mage kit with attributes has loads of mana, not good for fighting with low HP, but good for casting and summoners.

I see people speaking about specializing the char in combat or magic. Why should we be forced to do that?

Anyway, as long as we can buy PP with hydro bars and removal stones, it simply can't be done.

I think the only way to avoid strong fighters to cast strong spells is to change the attributes on clothes.

Just give neg attributes for magic on all armors and add neg attributes for fighting on mage clothes. Thus, you have to choose the clothes you want to wear according to what you want to do.

Just my 2 cents.

I see people speaking about specializing the char in combat or magic. Why should we be forced to do that?

Anyway, as long as we can buy PP with hydro bars and removal stones, it simply can't be done.

I think the only way to avoid strong fighters to cast strong spells is to change the attributes on clothes.

Just give neg attributes for magic on all armors and add neg attributes for fighting on mage clothes. Thus, you have to choose the clothes you want to wear according to what you want to do.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that changing the clothes (and possibly tweeking attributes) is the vehicle for change when it comes to helping people specialize as a mage. But there still needs to be revisions and additions to the spell list to help balance the power and effectiveness of mages in combat.

#Edit

To your initial question about being forced to specialize: This thread is not talking about forcing people to specialize in one or the other, it is about providing the option to specialize. If things were implemented in a manner like I suggested, then those who like the system as it is would stay the same, with not changes. On the other hand, in line with my suggestion, people who wanted to do more specialization in magic would have the means.

Edited by Affliction

That can be done by requiring extremely high magic nexus for casting extremely powerful spells, so players can't put many pickpoints in human nexus and can't wear extremely good armor or weapons.

Just my 2 cents.

:)

Piper

`

150 hydro bar spend and ure back in track of fighter path :P

Then lets do something very evil:

The lower your phys/coord is, the more powerful your (best) spells are :P

In other words: if you have high p/c, you get a malus on strong spells.

And voila, strong mage, weak fighter :D

Piper

Wonderfull idea!!!!

W/R improve magic (as it is)

P/C decrease magic (new change)

Loved that!

Didn't wanna start a new thread so here:

Was doing 100-120 invance, I knew I was gonna be gate keeper so I brought in some magic essence to remote heal. After a while I realized you have to be pretty much on top of the other player to be able to remote heal. So .. was thinking.

Make the distance you cast spells proportinal to magic level and/or rationality. For at least defensive spells, so people don't yell at me for being able to harm from 45miles that way.

And of course add more magic spells, AoE, Buffs and debuffs to be used on Summons/Monsters/Players. Not gonna name any cause thousands has been named just pick from those.

Mages are pretty useless in PvE, you can't harm your way through the mobs, it would be far too expensive, no useful buffing for yourself or teammates (Shield spell can't be cast remotely and isn't dependent on rat/mag) etc.

Not quite true - otherwise why would there be quite a few "mages" out there doing exactly this (using harm on mobs, healing fighters etc) in invances and even some instances I've been to?

(edit: typos etc.)

Well, if the discussion is about adding some new inst(v)ance toy for very high level players, then maybe I should get out of it. I'm not as old and experienced, but really haven seen or heard of anybody using magic for every day hunting and really don't see it as a practical option. I have tried it and, in some limited cases (LD on PWs; poison on Achims) it might hardly work, but cerainly not for general every-day use. That is what I would like to see most, magic being a practical career choice, not something to be financed by farming or harvesting.

So please, whatever the way of change, make magic closer to financing itself, same like you can get money for equipment&healing from melee and even some extra.