Eternal Lands Official Forums
robotbob

Thief - new skill as a anti-farmer?

(I searched :P, every thread I found was about bag jumpers lol)

{welcome to bullet list mania, sorry }

Right off, I never expected such a skill in this game, but perhaps it would be

an addition that ends up as a solution. I also expect this has a snowballs chance in hell.

New skill: Thief. thievery

How:

• Spell like tools: (Examine inventory, Remove 1 item from inventory)
  • Chances of fail or success, based on your thief skill and perhaps their thief\perception.
  • dependent on dex levels. require a build that isn't a natural pker.
  • not able to steal from monsters, would only make farming easier.
  • must be done from invisible state, so 50 magic is a requirement.

Success:

• You gain the item or a percentage of the gold coins based on level.
  • You gain experience in the skill.

Failure:

• You are tagged pk-able (red) for [insert time here] minutes.
  • Suffer instant health damage. (Run! OO)
  • When and if you die, character is stuck in a cage or pillory for some time in [map]
  • (logging off has no effect)

Where:

• Not just Pk areas, but NOT at storage. (or thieves would camp storages only)
  • Helps change hands of ingame items and resources beyond pking (no drops in pk anyway)

Yes, eek. but how is this a solution to what?

• Farmers can't afk'd farm yetis etc without being alert.
  • No one will bring every special armor, every potion, ever sword they own to pk anymore.
  • It would make equip item selection more important, since there is no penalty for hitting max emu.
  • Gives people that wish to play a evil aligned character an alternative to bag jumping.
  • Makes teamwork outside of pk exist beyond bag mixing, Find a binding? find out it was stolen too

I know "omfg no wai :) ", but add it to the anti famer spice up the game list something something list :/

lets camp harvest spots and steal those rare stones from harvesters ^^

it would increase goldbuying from farmers

lets camp harvest spots and steal those rare stones from harvesters ^^

it would increase goldbuying from farmers

Can you explain why? if you make this statement, its best to validate it with something.

Not saying you are wrong, just helps to explain assertions.

well you have a chance to lose alot of valuable items cause someone would steal them from you.

first time might be ok, maybe 2nd time too, but 3rd time its "fk it, ill just buy gc to keep up with this" or might even result in quiting game.

look at brod, everyone has someone they want to hurt badly, thats why they buy brod and use it on people. would see the same happening with thief skill, just stalk people you dislike to the point where they quit game

Well, you can only steal from inventories, not from equipped items.

The idea was to force people to plan ahead in inventories instead of bringing multiple kits with them.

Also, snooze fests with people spending long times camping one spawn would be eliminated,

hit storages often, etc And keep leveling ad, a bit more exciting.

So if someone has a JSoC equipped its safe, but their BroD in inventory could be stolen.

It would force the addition of a special team member, using true sight, to route and reveal thieves.

(Yes, rostos should be immune, but not tele rings,etc, one solution for people fleeing pk maps is to

pre-steal their means of escaping)

The are probably tons of reasons people will quit a game, and probably post multiple good-bye threads.

And yes, this probably won't work, it changes the game dynamics, afk'r chat people could still do nothing

just chat for hours with an empty inventory.

I know this would never happen, -bag jumping- thread alone highlight Els opposition to

anything Rogue.

Personally I think there are enough ways ingame already for players to lose items, without giving every tard with a Dick Turpin complex a way to ruin others fun :mace:

But for the sake of not being totally negative and not giving constructive critisism

Chances of fail or success, based on your thief skill and perhaps their thief\perception.

dependent on dex levels. require a build that isn't a natural pker.

The chance of success shouldnt be just based on the thiefs abilities but include the potential targets stats aswell:

Ie: Thiefs dex + level + perception Vs Targets Perception + Reaction (or w/e)

You are tagged pk-able (red) for [insert time here] minutes.

Suffer instant health damage. (Run! OO)

When and if you die, character is stuck in a cage or pillory for some time in [map]

(logging off has no effect)

The risk Vs gain is to little, the thief will just go nekkid, so if he is pkable and dies then he loses nothing

So maybe he should need to wear a 100k Ninja :mace: suit which he has a chance to lose (regardless of wether he carries a rost or not) upon being detected or killed

Should also Remain Pkable until he has paid off the local town watch/police/cops etc, and this would be by making a substantial payment (10k or more) to an NPC

EDIT : Or putting on the thief suit makes them invisible but also Pkable, so anyone who catches them with TS can defend themselves

You gain the item or a percentage of the gold coins based on level.

This should be totally random and in no way shape or form should the thief be able to choose what is stolen

look at brod, everyone has someone they want to hurt badly, thats why they buy brod and use it on people. would see the same happening with thief skill, just stalk people you dislike to the point where they quit game

Once a Thief has attempted to steal from a player, regardless of wether it was a success or not, he should not be able to retarget said player for X amount of RL months

But no I dont agree with the idea in general

Edited by conavar

Time to uberban you from my bots, you ain't robbing me matey boy :mace:

Training this skill might be quite hard, EL will be full of red tagged ppl, lol :mace:

But why not?

Let there be a thief cloak, buyable from Victor for 5k gc to be a thief (Victor buys them back for 4k gc).

When you fail, become pkable and your victim kills you, you might drop the cloak, so your victim can sell it to Victor and even make some profit :mace:

Piper

Every trade from that point on would have to be storage only in case a thief gets in there first and steals the item or your gc.

An invisible thief stealing your inventory while you mine. Here's me thinking bagjumping was something players (except Erstad) should be strung up by the doodads for.

Imagine Fury guild with every member walking around in that cape.

Imagine Fury guild with every member walking around in that cape.

To clarify the cape idea:

You *MUST* wear that cape AND cast invisibility to be able to type #pickpocket labrat or to click on the desired victim or whatever.

The cape itself doesnt give you any special ability, like being invisible, except being a thief, nothing more.

Piper

I had a thought on balance, perhaps a counter perk:

TheLaw: Can see thieves always, increased defense against thieves. (Greater chance for them to fail)

It would allow someone to play a good align defender character, defending el from the rogues.

I had a thought on balance, perhaps a counter perk:

TheLaw: Can see thieves always, increased defense against thieves. (Greater chance for them to fail)

It would allow someone to play a good align defender character, defending el from the rogues.

May be make it like a one perk type deal where for +6pp you're thievable.

uh the defense against it would get annoying. just fill up your empty slots with useless crap. this would dramatically lower

the %... you'd be risking a lot for the chance to steel branches etc. you'd have to do this.. putting useless junk in and out of your inventory. like you steal 1 impatien... 1 branch or something like that. you steal 1 blue berry. does anyone fill up over half their inventory except for to PK? it'd be less than 50% getting something good unless you just did it at VOTD storage.

Edited by HereticEast

Well my original post let you select the item you attempt to steal.

The only percentage is, say you have 5k gc on you, success based on levels gives you

35%? etc and not all 5k. (logic being, grab a handful) No thief would blindly grab anything

out of a duffle\bag\sack why risk it against something with no value.

Examining their inventory pops up an inv window with their items on it.

Timer is ticking for you to pick an item, and try to steal, or fail.

But again EL is 100% anti-rogue anyway.

No it isnt. Not 100%.

Rayla has her own cult following, as has Erstad, so there is some folks in EL that would back this idea. A lot of potential for mischief though, needs to be tacked down to make it fully playable without having a ton of "omfg i got my stoof stoled" posts in disputes as soon as it got added to the game, if indeed it will be.

No it isnt. Not 100%.

It is 100% against having risk be everywhere.

Rayla can jump your bag... when you have a bag.

I can be broded... when i'm in a PK map.

Lenny can kill you... when you're on c2, outside, at night.

Bad things can only happen to players in EL if they allow themselves to be in fairly specific circumstances, and i think a lot of EL's players quite enjoy this aspect of the game, i know i do.

I'm a PK'er, it's about as 'risk-loving' as an EL player can be (especially considering i'm on a few brod lists :icon13: ), but i like to chose when i have to be on my toes, not have to be permanently. I do lots of stuff on my computer when i'm playing EL (anything from watching media to doing quotes and stuff for clients), if there's going to be some kind of permanent risk everywhere in the game, all the time, it really would kill one of the main things that attracts me to the game.

I think this idea has a lot of potential, but I agree with Korrode~risk everywhere would be suck-assey. I'm sure that can be tweaked out of the idea...

~Thievery only on pk maps or....

~any map, but the theft can only be gold, and not much(1-20-50gc?), or maybe only steal certain items deemed "theivable" like low-mid price range items.(I think gold only would be more simple though, the thief could look at players as though they were "spawns", getting a little here, a little there...)

~Thief can only target players oa50+

~thieves become visible whether successful or not

...um...perhaps if attempt is unsuccessful, instead of stealing, the thief deposits something (d'oh!).

I'm sure many other ideas could work. I think the key is maintaining the basic feeling of safety for those who enjoy it while adding the extra challenge/option for those crazy risk-taking-types.

The biggest problem I think might be the confusion between what's considered harassment or not, and might be a big headache for the staff to deal with, if implemented without enough forethought.

Just some idears, from my noggin.

(don't let this topic die!)

nevermon

There is another game that recently added thieving as an ability, and the system has so many flaws... They may take the whole thief system down.

Players go offline for a few minutes, and despite their defenses against thievery, there are so many attempts that their defenses are overwhelmed, and they lose hundreds of thousands of dollars (In-game)

Thieving spam would be a hugely abusable thing. An entire group picks a target and steals from them until they take everything possible. Even small amounts of gc would turn into ludicrous amounts as a group attempt...

Imagine entire thieving guilds, like fury, popping up. Their group projects would be to pick an AFK target clean. ^^'

Good point, but I don't think it applies if it's limited to pk maps. It would be like another consequence to being on someone's pk list. You either get pk'd or robbed. People don't bring ludicrous amounts of gc with them when they go to pk maps (do they? seriously, I don't know).

I also don't know if theivery only on pk maps would make sense or not, but I can't help but wonder if it would be a fun thing for non-pkers to get into :icon13:

<edit> ...but then again, pkers spend lottsa dough don't they? Allowing them alone to get robbed might not be so friendly..I dunno, I'll stop now :)

Edited by Neverman

If you really want something like this in game, make it a "cops and robbers" perk kind of like was mentioned above.

The person with the perk has opted in for being a cop or robber or someone that could be robbed and then in turn beat the living crap out of the thief and rob them of their inventory.

The perk would cost 1 pickpoint, but if you don't have the perk, you can't be robbed.

Anyone with the perk would have a chance to spot any other cop/robber attempting a theft.

Instead of making it X minutes, make it X days. This could vary based on the item that was stolen or the amount of times they were caught.....which would be lovely since it would be like a person being a well-known thief and going to jail till they drop dead of old age.

A thief will never know exactly what you have on you. They would have a % chance to see an item in the inventory, so for each item, they have an %chance to see it and then a % chance to take it.

I think that the % chance for the thief (or the cop trying to spot the thief) would be based on (reasoning+instinct+coordination)/3. That would produce a rather accurate representation, in my opinion.

Every time a thief is caught stealing, a red server announcement could go off to everyone and bots could add them to their blacklist including the one that does the trust tracking. Of course, that would be up to the bot owners to implement such a feature, but it should be available to them.

I like that idea of a jail or purgatory too. Their jail time could be equal to the amount of pk-able time that they just earned by trying to steal.

Maybe some npc's could have the perk and call some guards to kill the bloody thieves. There should not be any of the standard sort of npc's with the ability to steal. It would be something like an invasion monster, but none of this overpowered 1000's of life points stuff that I keep seeing. Just something with about the build of some sort of goblin.