Eternal Lands Official Forums
the_antiroot

New charging for bots clarification.

My problem is with bots in [semi]crowded places. Not to say that the other bots don't take bandwidth.

To solve this, and save your bandwith/bots owners bandwidth, there could be some new commands:

#no_actors - the server dont send any infos about actors. No trade bot wants to know, if a rabbits hops by, so the bot owners can turn off this infos. Guard bots of course, wont.

#no_weather - the server dont send any infos about weather.

#no_messages - the server dont send any messages like the #day messages, mother nature message and such.

#no_chat - the server dont send local chat to the bot

So, when a bot is inactive, the only thing it would send to the server, would be the heartbeat.

Piper

Most of the bandwidth is done by when the bot gets the actors, and when it is sent to other players as an actor. The other things such as weather and chat are insignificant.

And removing the actors info is not good, some bots use that for stuff like determining the guild.

And removing the actors info is not good, some bots use that for stuff like determining the guild.
yes, and trade-bots still do need this, but most of the information isn't needed... a stripped down version of add actor, where only name and actor_id is sent, would probably work though (unless the bot actually looks at equipment so it can say "Hey, X, nice glowstick!").

Yes, but every bot needs different stuff, and I am not going to go through all the trouble to modify protocols, sort out which bot needs what, etc.

Hey guys, the solution seems clear to me.. make a donation today and donate regularly to help keep things running smooth. We love el..so why not help out a bit.

make a donation today
the problem is, this isn't as easy for some people... the amount of money for a bot might be a lot more to some people than others

and yes, there are other things people can, and do, do to help

Yes, but every bot needs different stuff, and I am not going to go through all the trouble to modify protocols, sort out which bot needs what, etc.

Of course not, that would be BS.

Thats why i suggested those commands.

Bot doesnt need actor infos, turn them off. Bot needs them, dont turn them off. And thats what the bot owner should do, not you, ent.

And if we promote such commands, that bot owners can control their bandwith usage now by using those commands, it could be a success.

I would use them, EternalBroker, EternalTrivia and Karlin dont use any actor info, so they should be fine by only sending the heartbeat, when they are idle. So does Nera and Emporium iirc.

(ok, maybe #no_weather, #no_messages, #no_chat are crap and wont help)

Another thought:

Bots in populated areas:

VOTD with 4 or 5 bots outside comes in mind. Why not move them into buildings? There is a tavern, gen store, flowershop. No need that they are somewhere around Molgor outside. And ppl will still find them, since they're advertising on the market channel and i think, they're posting their location too.

And EternalTrivia and EternalBroker can move of course too to another spot, since its not needed to meet the bots.

Just my 2 cents :)

Piper

And ppl will still find them, since they're advertising on the market channel and i think, they're posting their location too.

Iduna and all other of our bots do not advertising on the market channel. Does it not also cause traffic?

Hi,

I have heard that bots are not allowed on the test server at the moment - is this par of this

change ?

I am running a bot on the test server of the 'AI experiment' nature, I'm perfectly happy to pay the

$20/year for this as it's for my enjoyment. Is this allowable ?

thanks

Well, I understand your issues. If you think it is unfair, fine, all the already paid bots do not have to pay any additional fees.

However, we reserve the right to refuse service (ie. additional bots approvals) from those people/guild. A contract works both ways.

I am very happy with the guard bots being one time fees and the store bots being taxed. I understand the bandwith and the population explosion of bots and agree and have no problem paying the tax for the store bots, it just makes sense. And yes EL is a work in progress so we must all understand the need for some flexability.

I appreciate both sides and hope all are as happy with this solution as I am.

Very Respectfully ~Tamara

Hi,

I have heard that bots are not allowed on the test server at the moment - is this par of this

change ?

I am running a bot on the test server of the 'AI experiment' nature, I'm perfectly happy to pay the

thanks

No, you can test them there if you want.

Hi,

change ?

thanks

No, you can test them there if you want.

ok, thanks

Other questions related to this that people should be asking themselves include:

* Should there be more bots?

* Should there be less bots?

* Do you want the server devs working on improving the game or making bots work better with the server?

This is all related. Since EL is't being done by a bug company, there are limited resources available so the ideas, suggestions, and requests need to be prioritized as well as fitting into Entropy's vision for the game.

A suggestion to save bandwith:

Currently when we are fighting and fleeing we get send a message: You failed to flee.

I have many megabytes with this single line in my chatlogs. Another message i very often receive: You are too far away.

Now... would it be possible to add a new protocol for these kind of messages? A protocol that only sends the type and a number of very few bytes. Then at the client side we see this number and look it up in a file. The client then sends the "You failed to flee" message to the console.

PS:

If you specify the lines of text in a seperate file we could even change them at client side. When (not if) you get tired of the "You failed to flee", you can change it into something you like better.

I am in shock over this thread. I read it 3 times today. As a Storebot owner and admin for guildmap's guardbot I know and understand the value of the privlige we have been given. $20 will be an average cost of $1.60 a month. I doubt anyone will be pulling their storebots out of the game over this. As for a guardbot, I'm sure a guild can find a way to compensate one of their members for making a 20 dollar donation once a year. Discussing bandwidth and similar issues is irrelevant. The bottom line is: You know even with a 20 dollar yearly fee bots are still a good deal as well as I... and umm... The fees are a donation to the people who work for free so we can play. Thats where your money will be going-just something for you to think about.

Hmm... It would be good way to help pay for a great game :)

By the way, do I have to pay to run bots on the test server?

EDIT: Yet again, why would a bot be on the test server for more then a year?

Edited by Jaxbot

After i have seriously read all posts on this thread i must REQUEST a contract! Printable one, in plain, simple english, and naturaly we should expect BOTH parties to follow what is written in it.

After i have seriously read all posts on this thread i must REQUEST a contract! Printable one, in plain, simple english, and naturaly we should expect BOTH parties to follow what is written in it.

And do you want to drive the price up to cover the lawyers fees as well?

It's a free game. Things change and last time I did a google search, there was no accurate crystal balls to tell us about things like cost of server changes etc that the game has to pay for themselves.

I know you'd like everything simple and black and white... but that isn't the case. $20 isn't a lot over the course of the year. And it does grant you extra priveleges that the regular player does not have. If you think that is too much, then I'm sorry that you feel reluctant to pitch in to help the game. Perhaps you can make do without a bot like the majority of players.

But if you enjoy the benefits of the bot... then is it too much to ask to help the game support such benefits?

Some "application form" where both paties AGREE on some specific terms are VERY apriciated, and that is what I would call PROFESSIONAL.

This is a free game... get over yourself.

Find your own lawyer and have him find you a life. If $20 is the end of the world for you, then take some time off EL and get a job. I can't believe this issue is so huge that you have to keep at it.

I think that this is good in a way. If it is going to help better the game then why are we complaining? Its for our benefit. If u cant afford $20 then dont have a bot.

Okay I want to have a guild map. The map is still a one time fee and I appreciate that very much. I would, however, like to know that since the entire population is going to have access to most of that map that I am not going to ever have to start making yearly payments for something everyone is getting to use for the most part.

I want guardbots obviously to keep a seperate area for the guild only. The idea that guild maps are not meant to be private at all means your are making people pay to be part of the development team and put their own maps in the game for everyone. Not only is that not the way everyone who purchased a guild map perceives their purchase but it certainly seems like no one who is not an artist and wants there work admired would do it.

You are saying that guild maps are $200 dollar donations to the game on which only one harvestable food is allowed and no monster training/fighting or other harvesting is allowed with no benefits to the guild making the donation at all. This seems entirely unfair as it gives the persons who made it nothing but a large picture in game with their name on it. That two hundred dollars is basically worthless without some part of the map being a private area for the guild even if you do not want all of it private as most guild maps already are.

If I can have part of the map protected by guild bots for my guild only then I still want to have the map and buy a guard bot to protect that private area. If all guard bots are going to be one time purchases still then I would get two of them. If not then I would only get one. If the bots are able to be fooled by invisibility then I would get none.

These are my questions Entropy:

Can I keep a part of the map I am paying for and making myself private for the use of my guild since it is being made only for that purpose?

Are all guard bots new and old going to be one time purchases since they do not take up the bandwith that the economic bots do? My guardbots would be indoors by the way.

Are guardbots immune and will they stay immune to things that make people invisible/indetectable?

TirunCollimdus