Eternal Lands Official Forums
pennifuin

Snow Bound

Lan stopped the procession several miles outside of town to give the horses a drink from the freezing water. He strode with a wolfish grace toward a nearby downned tree and unrolled a map. The map proved to reveal a rough outline of Irilion. Lan knew that they had to ride north to find the port they had arrived on, then take a ship as far as the captain would take them north, hopefully to the full north of the continent, to where Sedicious lay. If not to a lower port of Irilion and they would ride the distance if need be. He was a careful planner however, and knew that this Pennifuin was an explorer of Irilion and likly knew more than the map showed. Lan called over to Pennifuin, who was riding just outside of the group in the deeper snow. (And somehow keeping up with the rest of the group) "Pennifuin, may I have your expert skill in cartography and exploring to aid me? I am looking for the very best course to Sedicious. If you know any reliable shortcuts, I request you divulge your information to us."

The tavern maid Ali still clouded his mind, and Lan was feeling the pull to return to that lovely and homely tavern...With her. "Nevermind that!" Lan said to himself, "You have your tasks and they are more important than any eyes or feelings you have to a mere mortal." Lan knew it and said it to himself often to keep in line, but at the same time he wondered why that pull was so strong to return to those beautiful brown eyes.

[[OOC]]

Does everyone have a Map of Irilion? I have one, but I am not sure if I can show it to you...LV, is it ok if I show the map located in the mapmakers section? :blink: With the map lines drawn and numbers for each map?

Edited by Brom

Pennifuin acknowledged Lan's beckoning. He looked at Nurwuin, patted him on the nose, and then went to see what the swordsman could want. Lan showed him the map. Pennifuin then proceeded to point out the rough locations of various landmarks and settlements, almost too quick for Lan to keep up with. Pennifuin agreed that the best option would be to make for Meel's Port, at the northern most tip of Iscalrith, the region in which they had just previously travelled into. Pennifuin took a seat on the fallen bough. There was an awkard silence, and Pennifuin suddenly felt the watchful gaze of Lan upon his face, looking up, he could see his bold observant eyes looking back at him.

"So you are the elf i have heard so much about." Lan broke the silence."I have heard tales of the Ocean Strider's Voyage, they are almost legendary back in the homeland."

"I see Brom the Storyteller has been up to his old tricks."replied Pennifuin

They then talked for what seemed hours, of stowing away, about the Orchan; Kendai and the possesion, about Placid facing down an entire army, and of being lost at sea.

After much talking and laughing from both the elf and Lan, Pennifuin stood up.

"it is probably best that we move on master Lan, we should make the port by dusk, spend the night there, and look for a ship and captain in the morn."

Lan nodded and rolled up his map.

Pennifuin walked back over to Nurwuin, who had been talking to one of the pack horses. He gave a snort to Pennifuin indicating his displeasure at the company he had been left in. The order was given that they were moving on to Mell's Port, and within 5 minutes, all parties were packed up and on the move. Pennifuin nimbly leapt onto Nurwuin who reared up and began to move swiftly through the undrgrowth. Penn looked around, it was quiet and twilight was near approaching. He put his hand into his saddlepack behind him, an fished around for a slither of cured meat to settle his empty stomach. Instead, he pulled out what seemed to be the soft leather cloth that had wrapped the Dagger. How bizarre thought Pennifuin, i dont remember packing that.He turned it over in his hands. Something caught his eye. On the underside of the cloth, (the inside when the dagger was wrapped in it) were some faint markings, too hard to see in the failing light. Reaching into his pack once more, he removed a single water essence and 2 fire essences, held them in his hand and blew gently, it sparked into a cool blue flame, and produced enough light to examine the leather more properly. It was as Pennifuin had thought. It was a map. This puzzled Pennifuin. Why did Lord Vermor give this to him? Only Vermor himself could answer that. He did not recognise the map markings, it is possibly somewhere he had not been before, was it related to the dagger? So many questions were spinning in the elf's mind. Lan looked across and could see Pennifuin illuminated in between the trees. Pennifuin felt his gaze and quickly clasped his hand shut with a sizzle and whisper of steam. He then bundled the map into the breast of his fur torso and carried on riding. Lan looked ahead again and pondered over Pennifuin's secrecy.

They arrived at Meel's Port not long after dark, dismounted and headed straight for the nearest tavern.

Edited by pennifuin

The Chronicler was chilled to the very bone and he welcomed the sight of the tavern "Warmth at last" he thought. Not that the weather really bothered him, this mission was too important. The dagger in master Pennifuin's possession was imortant yes, but would it lead them to the old grounds? The question wouldn't stop haunting the old chronicler.

The Chronicler looked at the party of travelers, a mixed bunch indeed, but he knew that they would serve their purpose, willingly or not.

With a crackling laughter he left his steed to a surprised stable boy and headed for the main room of the tavern.

The travellers were immedietly greeted by the barmaid, a beautiful Draegoni named Jacinta. Her soothing voice targetted Pennifuin immedietly, "Hello, are you by chance Pennifuin?"

Pennifuin was confused yet answered confidently "Yes, I am. How do you know my name?". She replied "Master Vermor was here recently and said you would be stopping by soon. He left this for you."

She hands him a piece of parchment. On the one side is a sketch. The sketch was the head of what appeared to be a great dragon and written below it was ISCARLITH. Penn was confused as to what this was for, so he turned it over to the other side and noticed that Vermor had written something.

It will be revealed to you by the light of the Twilight Mushrooms. Find thom to know where you are going. Tumaros Treesoar can help.

Edited by Lord_Vermor

LadyWolf had eaten and slept well. She awoke and dressed and started for her steed. She saw a large prssession starting to mount their own horses and was intrigued. She asked the stable boy what was going on. She was informed of what the stable boy knew, which wasn't much, and took the reigns of her horse from him. Her steed was a fine, muscular horse, solid black with a blonde mane and tail, a rarity indeed.

She mounted her horse but hung back slightly until the others had ridden off a good ways. She fell in behind them, not knowing where they were headed.

((later on...))

She arrived at the tavern shortly after they had. She dismounted and gave her horse to the stable boy, who stood in awe of her steed. She flipped him a gold piece and advised him to take extra good care of her horse. The boy nodded happily and walked the horse away. She turned to walk to the tavern and was greeted by the tip of a very sharp, battle scarred sword. She looked down the blade then up into the eyes of Lan, one of the guards from the brotherhood.

"Who are you and what business have you to follow this party here?" Lan asked.

Lady knew Lan, from long ago, from before he found his way to the brotherhood. She had given him some of his first armor, back when he was but a youngling in VOTD. She had assisted him in gaining some knowledge that he needed from the monster ridden pennisula of Grubani. She wondered if he would remember her.

Like Lord_Vermor, LW wore a hooded powersaving cloak (have the same tailor). She lowered the hood from her head and let it fall on her shoulders. "Hello, Lan, long time no see." Lady said, with a slight smile, still unsure if he would remember her from the days of old.

"Ladywolf, I saw you following but I do not feel you a threat so I let you follow." Lan said with a strange tilt of his head. "Is anyone else with you? Why were you following us? And more importantly" Lan paused for a moment then said, "Thank you for your help to me a few years back, Your help which probably seemed small at that point, started me on my tasks and helped me reach the Brotherhood. I trust you, but my trust is still slim because we have not kept in contact over the past years." Lan found himself being quite rude and corrected it. "Please come inside, If you were following us, you are likly as cold and tired as we are."

Lan let Ladywolf inside, then looked out the door once more, eyes searching for any sign of movement or a flash of eyes, Then closed the door. "Let me buy you a drink, however I cannot stay and drink, I have the watch tonight, If you will be continuing with us tomorrow talk to Pennifuin, he can fill you in on what is going on, if he asks questions of you, refer him to me, I will be upstairs, before I go up, do you have the answers to those questions I asked you?"

Edited by Brom

LadyWolf grinned, happy that she was remembered and not challenged. She would have hated to battle Lan. She followed Lan inside and turned to face him and answer his questions.

"A drink would be nice, I am freezing. Now to answer your questions. I am alone Lan. I do not know why I was following you. Call it intuition I guess, felt maybe my sword might be needed. Oh, and you're welcome Lan, glad to be of help to you."

They walked to the bar. She looked around and saw Penn and the Chronicler sitting by the fire. She wished not to be in their presence at this time, she felt like her role would be spelled out more clearly soon enough.

Lw accepted the drink that Lan ordered, and watched him walk off for his watch. LW drink the drink down in one gulp, cringing at the ball of fire warming her gullet, and ordered another. Lady sat back feeling herself warming up slightly. She sat and sipped her drink, and watched Penn and the chronicler out the corner of her eye.

((We could Announce in game. But I fear that would attract some people that would cause trouble. :P))

(OOC- hmm, to join or not to join... join! By the way, we missed you Penn, glad to see you back ^_^ By the way, I'm playing as another character that I've created :))

A young elven maiden, with flowing blonde hair and soft brown eyes, glanced at the travelers as they came inside, shaking off the bitter cold. They looked like they had come a long way, and so had she. A long way from home, in the Forest of the Fall, from where her mentor sent her to find new and exotic furs for their small tanning business. She watched the travelers with curiosity, wondering if they carried news of home. Sitting nearest to the lady draegoni, the young elf stood and approached her table.

"Excuse me, m'lady, but I was wondering from which parts have you come and if you carried news?"

Edited by Kendai

((ooc glad to be back :medieval: nice long thread you got going with the Jewel Monkey RP! it will never beat OSV for content and participation though :)))

Pennifuin rose with the morning sun. It was already considerably hotter here than in Trassian, even though they had travelled a relatively small distance north. Most probably due to the absence of the howling winds of the south. Donning his fur and cape, Penn set out for the docks to arrange some sort of passage north across the sea to Mainland Irillion. The scribbled note of Lord Vermor hung in the back of his mind as he strolled through the frosty Port town:

It will be revealed to you by the light of the Twilight Mushrooms. Find thom to know where you are going. Tumaros Treesoar can help

Bearing this in mind, he decided that his best bet was to bartar for travel to Egratia Point, and then make their way up through the relatively uncharted region of Zirankinbar[to which Pennifuin had only visited a handful of times] and then up into Palon Vertas, for there dwells the only Treesoar he knew.

Ariving at the docks, he looked around for any sign of activity, fisherman were getting ready to set off for a day's toil on the icy blue, but he could see no others, so he decided to board one of the many vessels that were moored up on the jetties. Peering round, he could not see a single soul, nor here nor there. He gingerly walked over to the cabin door and raised his hand to give it a rap with his fist, but before he made contact, the door flew open. The smell of stale rum and man wafted out into the much thinner cold air, and almost choked Pennifuin so that he had to turn his head and let out a unhearty cough. Standing in the doorway, was the perfect chariacature of a salty old Sea Dawg of a Capin'. "'Ello 'ello, wharrrt do we 'ave 'ere then me hearty?" *hic*

Pennifuin couldnt help letting out a little chuckle at the sight of this walking, talking cliche, peg leg, eye patch, and all. He was snapped quickly back to reality by the reeking foul breath of the age'd skipper when he spoke. He quickly remembered his business. "Greetings Sea Farer, i am Pennifuin of Roanof, an Explorer from the distant lands of Seridia..." the mention of Pennifuin's homelands seemed to sober the swaying Captain up a little,..."by what name do you go by?"

*hic* replied the captain. "My name..." he let out a spluttering cough and a wheeze, "is Capin' Speckled Juhm... speckles to me hearties!"

((want to round things up in tavern whilst i figure this out? :P SUPPORT OUR CAUSE OCEAN STRIDER VOYAGE IN-GAME!!))

Edited by pennifuin

Dunian went up to his room early, disliking the close air of the crowded tavern. Looking out of the window, he though he saw a shadow moving across the snow. Dunian became uneasy as it came closer. drawing back from the window, he blew out the candle, only the light of the moon coming through the window. But when he came back to the window, the shadow was gone.

Although he was not sure it had been an animal, a monster, or if it was just a trick of the eye, Dunian still felt uneasy. Some sixth sense told him that there was something outside of the tavern. A friend or foe he couldn't say. Morning would tell. Lying down on the hard but warm bed, Dunian went into a light sleep, his hand on his dagger.

The next morning

Dunian woke up in time to see the dawn, and also to see Pennifuin depart. His first thought was of the shadow he had seen. He slipped out of the tavern, looked around the stables, and saw to his horse. No shadows to be found other than those cast by the sunrise. Maybe he had just been seeing things. He doubted it.

Reentering the tavern, he was intime for an early breakfast with the two guards that had been sleeping in the stable. They ate, and then he departed for the port before the tavern became crowded again.

Edited by Dunian

The Chronicler woke up. He felt his old bones being envigorated by the excitement of adventure. Quickly he collected himself and started pondering the event so far. After making some notes to is chronicles he was ready to embark on today's part of the journey.

When he came down to the main hall of the tavern, he saw the four temple guards dressed up in full gear. Their leader. Lan, had a stern look upon his face. "Master Pennifuin has left to seek passage in the docks" Lan said. The Chronicler understood that Lan would much rathr have seen the entire party moving as a group. "Wonder what he is so concerned about" the Chronicler thought to himself. Aloud he said nothing, ordered some dark bread and a mug of the foul brew they dared to call ale in this tavern.

After finishing his breakfast, he looked at Lan and said: "Ok, show me the docks my friend."

Edited by Derin

LadyWolf awoke, stiff from having ridden in the cold for so long. Im getting to old for this She thought to herself. She walked downstairs and ordered some warm gruel and ale (tastes more like swamp water) for breakfast.

She paid for her meal (dirt tasted better than the gruel) and headed for the stables. She rounded the corner and slammed into Lan, peddling backwards she barely caught herself before landing in a heap.

Scowling she looked at Lan and could tell he was troubled, but didn't try to read his thoughts. She went for her horse, but he was GONE!! "Someone stole my horse!! LW bellowed. She looked around for the young stable boy that she had intrusted her fine steed to, but he was nowhere to be seen. Outraged she pulled a small dagger from her belt, and with a flick of her wrist it went flying through the air, past Lans head, and stuck into a support beam.

Lady turned and stormed back into the tavern to question the barkeep...

Pennifuin conversed with the old sea captain, well, tried to, having trouble undertsanding his slurred speech and the constant breaks mid-sentence to belch or to swear profoundly made conversation very hard indeed. But after a good half an hour, Pennifuin had gathered that he needed to find himself a crew, as the sea dawg had been left by his, who had aparently joined a merchant navy of some sorts. They agreed on a fair price for passage on his ship, and then Pennifuin set out back to the tavern.

"Someone stole my horse!!

Pennifuin rounded the corner to see LadyWolf storming back into the tavern, and Lan standing looking quite piturbed, staring at the dagger beside him, still quivering, stuck in the woodwork.

Loud shouts and the sound of crashing furniture and bottles came from within, Pennifuin and Lan rushed inside to see what the commotion was all about

LadyWolf threw open the door to the tavern and stormed inside. She saw the barkeep leaned up in the corner behind the bar, flirting hopelessly with the pretty young barmaid. Lady walked right up to the bar, reached out with her long, muscled, draegoni arms and grabbed the barkeep by the front of his shirt. She was outraged that her steed was missing and wanted answers, and would stop short of nothing, even beating the answers out of the barkeep, to get them.

LW yanked the barkeep hard against the bar and standing only inches from his dirty, greasy face, she spoke slowly, and as calmy as possible, "Where is my horse?". The bewildered barkeep just looked at her, wide eyed and slack jawed. Lady tightened hee grip on his shirt and pulled him hard against the counter she repeated,"Where is my horse. I know you know, and I want answers, NOW!"

Before he had time to answer, or formulate an excuse, LadyWolf yanked hard on the barkeeps shirt, yanking him over the counter and dropping him on the table beside her, which promtly broke beneath his weight. She kicked a chair aside and went for him again. Lady knelt down, one powerful knee digging into the barkeeps chest, and wrapped one of her hands around his greasy stubbly neck.

Lady heard the door swing open and heard a familiar voice yell, "Lady! What are you doing!", then she felt two sets of hands grabbing her by her arms and yanking her back off of the barkeep....

The Chronicler wasn't too disturbed by the sudden outbreak of violance in the tavern. He had faith in his guards.

When LadyWolf dropped the barkeep on the table he motioned to two of the guards to break it up. Ok, looks like we have a small matter to attend to before departure, he thought to himself.

When the situation was relatively calm, the Chronicler rose and said: "What is going on here?"

LadyWolf struggled a bit against the strong hands that were holding her back from the frightened barkeep, but soon stood motionless when the Chronicler spoke. "Someone has stolen my horse, which I left with the young stable boy last night. That boy is the barkeeps son. I know he knows where my horse is, and I want answers, and I want them NOW!" Lady growled and lunged for the smirking barkeep again, but the two guards held her in place....

Lan and Pennifuin charged into the tavern and found that two guards were already pulling Ladywolf back from the barkeep. "Ladywolf, Calm down, we will work this out rationally." Lan then strode up to the barkeep and helped him up. It was actually a show of strength, you see people reacted to the smallest things, then when enough of the small things pile up, it can easily tip a person into doing nearly anything, in this case giving information. Lan helped him up then pushed him down in a stool on the bar. "Now sir, calmly answer this question or I will order my friends to let her go." The man had fear in his eyes as he glanced over to Ladywolf. "Where is Ladywolf's horse?" The man answered quickly, "In my personal stables, down the block. My son put the horse there because he thought it needed extra attention, I did not take it, dont hurt me!"

Lan looked into the barkeeps eyes and said sincerly, "Thank you" Then turned to Ladywolf and said, "You see, it was all a misunderstanding, let her go guys"

LadyWolf bowed her head in shame at the way she had reacted. She reached into her pouch and pulled out a large handful of gold coins and dropped them on the table next to her. She did not speak, hoping the gold would be enough of an apology for the barkeep. She turned and walked out of the tavern and started down the block to retrieve her horse....

((word of warning, this following post may seem a little off the beaten track, but it will set things up for later))

Pennifuin took advantage of the preceding events, by taking time out to walk around the small town they had spent, what seemed an eternity at. It was a small fishing port, and the sweet peculiar smell of saltwater shalmon (a local delicasy, on which the town prided themselves on) hung in the mid-morning air. The day was bright and clear, the cool blue sky stretching out into the distance lazily turning to a hazy white as it merged with the horizon. Pennifuin felt like taking off like a great eagale of the north, gliding into the mystic, not a care in the world. He meandered around the town, observing the townsfolk going about their business, in their small town ways. Washer women, fishermen and assorted tradesman which are essential for the running of a port. For the first time since he could remember, he felt truly unconstrained. The manner of the people, their whole being, so simple, so easy. What he wouldnt give for the simple life. But I love the open road too much he mused to himself.

So he wandered, occasioanlly stopping to converse with a local about the weather, the fishing, the state of the economy, but on that last point he got little response from anybody. Children played gleefully in the frosty streets, wrapped in so many furs that you could mistake them for runtish bear cubs (if it were not for their giggling and joyful shouting). As Pennifuin walked by, the playing stopped as they were confronted by this stranger, and a hushed silence broke out amongst them. Pennifuin's elf ears could pick up quiet whispers. He stopped and sprang around suddenly. The children were momentarily stunned into silence and in a poor effort to conceal their gossiping, pretended to look busy, a few bumped heads and fell in a heap in the snow. Then Pennifuin started laughing, shortly followed by the sweet childish giggling of the young Iscallrithians. Pennifuin turned to leave. *SWOOSH* a blur of white whistled past his cheek, and much to the amusement of the children, Penn nimbly lept sideways, mid air scooping a handfull of snow, and landing poised, snowball in hand. The children knew the procedure well, and they stood there, frosty missiles in hand. So the war ensued, the Iscalrithians taking many casualties, but in the end, Pennifuin was overwhelmed, and there he lay in the snow, playing dead. The children walked over, huddled around him, and quietly murmured concerns.

"Children! what did i say? come here this instance."

Peeking through one eye, he was surprised to see the children gone. Standing over him, rosy cheeked and furrow browed was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. She couldnt have been a day over 20 years of age, just a girl. Her long mahogany brown hair swept behind her ears, her captivating eyes a similar deep dark brown, sensual, compassionate.

"wow" Pennifuin kicked himself as soon as he said it. "i mean er.." He picked himself up, brushed off the snow and winked towards the children, lined up in front of what seemed to be a school of some kind. They giggled some more.

"Inside children!" she ordered, obviously getting more and more frustrated.

"Greetings, i am Pennifuin of..." Penn started to say as he turned around to face her. Their eyes met. She was slim, not much shorter than him, and even more beautiful now that he was the right way up. His gaze met hers. She was dazed by Penn's strange handsomeness, his manner, and his way with children. She had been watching through the classroom window, giggling quietly to herself.

She stood there for a second and blinked as if she had forgoten something,

"I do apologise, where are my manners! my name is Katherine. That was my teacher..i mean they are my children. oh!" she took a deep breath, "I am a teacher at the school."

She had a golden voice, despite the cute awkward stumblings within the previous sentence, still, Pennifuin thought he could listen to her for the rest of eternity. She was now smiling coyishly, looking like the cutest, prettiest thing he had ever gazed upon, her little nose, those big condoling eyes. There was a short silence.

"I should probably get back to my class..."she said, "It is nice to have met you, Pennifuin" she blushed. Walking away she looked back, biting her lip bashfully as she finally turned back and entered her classroom.

Pennifuin stood their, his heart pounding, mind racing. What had just happened? He didnt even say goodbye. He could see her through the window, unwrapping a child from their fur, and in a daze, he turned around and walked away, trying to make sense of what had just transpired.

(( please continue from wherever you feel the need to, and please for the gods sake, get us to mainland irillion!!))

Edited by pennifuin

LadyWolf reached the stable and saw her steed standing before her, saddled and ready to go. The young stable boy looked afraid, she supposed that his father had already told him about their incident. She tried to smile at the little boy to make him feel better, it didn't work.

She tossed a few gold pieces at the boy and with one swift movement she mounted her horse and road out of the stables.

She saw Lan and the Chronicler already mounted and ready to ride. She pulled her steed up to them and halted him. Now silent from the loss of her temper, she awaited direction from the chronicler.