Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alberich

make single shot mode for ranging

At the moment you shot, auto reload and then you can shot again or unload and walk.

This is quite hindering in pk and for hunting, because:

1. the enemy walked to close for ranging,
  2. he ran away and is out of sigth wile you reloaded or
  3. he is already dead

so you have to unload before you can walk away, run after him or get the bag.

So my suggestion is to have a single shot mode so you can shot and pack your bow aside and move on, without the useless and time-killing reload - unload procedure.

What do other rangers think, is this useful?

Is this even possible with the current client or would it need a client update?

~Regards Alb

PS other random ranging suggestions:

• improve maps for ranging (lower grass, enhance usability of walls, move some lights..)
  • open more general storages on C2

other random ranging suggestions:

• improve maps for ranging (lower grass, enhance usability of walls, move some lights..)

For me, this is a key - review everything that causes "no line of fire" message. Some of these things are not realistic.

Is this even possible with the current client or would it need a client update?

IIRC, the protocol with the server already allows that because it is equivalent to leaving the range mode when you're out of arrows.

However, it'll need a client update anyway because the client will have to tell the server that you want to do a "one shot".

How about using CTRL-LMB for the "one shot"?

And I agree, some map items shouldn't be obstacles (give a accuracy penalty at the most), like (small) plants; doesn't make much sense if one can't shoot at something that's behind a plant which is only half as tall as the target...

As i range often i like this idea. When the creature or person wanders off u want to unload asap and chase after them but they either wander off or tele away.

Perhaps make it so that w/ PK arrows this is what happens? So instead of a command add the affect to PK arrows and maybe the other arrows, or add to explosive arrows when they come out? just some ideas.

So my suggestion is to have a single shot mode so you can shot and pack your bow aside and move on, without the useless and time-killing reload - unload procedure.
Wouldn't it be easier if you could simply walk while a bow is equipped (like you can with every other weapon in game) as a real bow hunter would? And if varying actor speeds are ever added to the game, a person with an equipped bow would simply move slower than one without anything equipped.

This would seem more realistic and simple than any form of one-shot mode/command.

Wouldn't it be easier if you could simply walk while a bow is equipped (like you can with every other weapon in game) as a real bow hunter would?

that sounds fantastic, and yeh the ''no line of fire'' when shooting over small objects could do with being looked at, but I have no idea how it would be solved.

Plus, would be nice ( as would alot of things ) if archers were able to have an option to arc a shot over an object, very likely reducing the accuracy however usefull for a large group of archers to stand well behind a line of melee fighters and arc a tonne of shots at the enemy ( would it be used enough to justify the time spent making it a reality ? hmm )

I just love the idea of an arc shot over an obstacle. I've been in such a situation a million times when trying to help in invasion failed because melee fighters were blocking line of fire. And giving it accuracy penalty would make it less abusable. Maybe make a book for ranging that would give this arc shot ability?

Can't wait to see when melee fighters and archers will work together :hehe:

Edit: added something.

Edited by DHT

other random ranging suggestions:

For me, this is a key - review everything that causes "no line of fire" message. Some of these things are not realistic.

I agree, some things are too rediculous to not be able to shoot over, a small patch of tall grass infront of you and all of a sudden you can't shoot the things you are chasing even tho they and you are able to walk thru it without any problems but there's "no line of fire", if you can walk tru it an arrow should be able to be shoot in that line of direction too.

This would seem more realistic and simple than any form of one-shot mode/command.

Are you fucking kidding me? Do you think it is realistic to walk with an extended bow? Maybe if your name is Legolas.

Would be realistic with the crossbows, but I think you are missing something: When you extend your bow you don't just load the bow, you aim as well. And you can't aim while walking.

As for the original idea, I'll give it a though, it's not bad.

Are you fucking kidding me? Do you think it is realistic to walk with an extended bow?
I know a bow hunter (although I've never hunted myself). When they are stocking an animal (not searching, but actually have one picked out), they do not do it with the bow on their back and arrows stored. The bow is in-hand (equipped if you will) with an arrow at the ready. No, they don't pull it back until they're ready to fire (I assume what you mean by "extended"), but they don't wait until the deer is in range for a shot and then and try to get everything out and ready with no noise or movement to give away their presence.

Two mile walk back to the car, sure the bow is put away, even broken down (if it's that type). But moving a few yards here and there trying to get a shot, it would be ridiculous to put the bow away before every step and then get it out again.

I understand game mechanics and limited animations. I can accept that you may not want to make it work that way. It may simply be not worth the effort to make another animation for walking with a bow in-hand. But don't say it's because a real bow hunter would put everything away to (for example) move to the other side of a tree for a clear shot.