Eternal Lands Official Forums
Raz

Colour GM messages

I know this has been discussed before - but would be great if #GM & #BC were easier to distinguish in the client.

(I did once announce an invasion with #GM not #BC - and wondered why people complained when I invaded)

I know that standard channel colours can be changed in the client and also @guild (with its large channel number), could the same functionality be added to #GM, #SERVER, #MOD etc?

Or does #GM have a secret channel number - which you can manually add to the channel_colors json file?

(I know global filters can change part of the message - but its not as clean)

All text comes in over a number of "streams", nothing to do with the in-game chat channels.

That json file works with in-game chat channels, which are mapped to the three available chat streams by the client.

And iirc, the stream colours are set server side (e.g. different server messages can have different colours).

As #GM has its proper stream, it should be possible to change the colour client side consistently.

Not as easy for #server (different messages with different colours, though a map "color byte <-> color" should be possible :P), 

Edited by revi

Having this ability would be extremely useful as #bc info gets lost in the jumble of #gm often. Being able to alter the color of those messages within the client would be a better alternative than using the global filters option raz described. Using the global filters does break any sound alerts you may have set up.

19 hours ago, shadowgate said:

Having this ability would be extremely useful as #bc info gets lost in the jumble of #gm often. Being able to alter the color of those messages within the client would be a better alternative than using the global filters option raz described. Using the global filters does break any sound alerts you may have set up.

Of course it would be better but the global_filters method has been in use for over a decade by many people and is an excellent workaround if you don't mind a bit of work, and it's certainly better than nothing.  It doesn't mess up sound alerts at all. I have both running quite satisfactorily.  :)

21 hours ago, shadowgate said:

Using the global filters does break any sound alerts you may have set up.

Erm, not in the general case; like Aislinn, Ive been using both for a long time now.

Where it might break is when you use a global filter to alter a text which is also used

as an alert trigger.

And, having the option to change the colours in the client would be nice.

Then again, the configuration dialog is already over-charged, so I'm not sure

adding a whole slew of colour settings there is ideal.

Perhaps use an external file to be edited by hand (it's how user menus are defined...).

15 hours ago, revi said:

Erm, not in the general case; like Aislinn, Ive been using both for a long time now.

Where it might break is when you use a global filter to alter a text which is also used

as an alert trigger.

And, having the option to change the colours in the client would be nice.

Then again, the configuration dialog is already over-charged, so I'm not sure

adding a whole slew of colour settings there is ideal.

Perhaps use an external file to be edited by hand (it's how user menus are defined...).

Do bear in mind  the client already has built in popup to change normal channels and @guild by right clicking on the channel tab. GMs appear as another tab - so would it be just a case of adding the dialog box to that tab?

The console background is a texture so can be changed reasonably easily.  It might help if you lighten the darker parts a little.  I tried a flat (for simplicity), but lighter texture and its arguably better IMHO.  Too light though, and the colours get washed out and you start to see the font outlines.  The file is textures/console.dds in the data directory.  As always, save a copy before changing it.