Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Alt rules

4) related to 1)

Harvesting alts stationed at hydro or pear locations

also shopping alts, storage alts, virtual hyperbags, stocking alts etc etc

Not sure how you can station alts at pear locations, since it can be pretty much any harvestible in any map. And no sure why would you station your alt at hydro, since the problem with hydro is the swords, not the char.

The other alts you mentioned, I don't have a problem with.

Alts on pear locations would work for certain maps with few harvestables. Much faster to test those with an alt in place, than using a character to walk from one map to the other.

And in general for "observer alts", wouldn't that be caught under the rule about alts not playing the game?

The real difficulty comes with alts that are (somewhat) developed, and/or serve half the time as harvesters or mules (not that time consuming to get an alt to say 50 OA with the tutorial, a few quests etc.). That risks to become one of those things that are easy to say on paper, but almost impossible to check for, and thus impossible to enforce.

Edited by revi

4) related to 1)

Harvesting alts stationed at hydro or pear locations

also shopping alts, storage alts, virtual hyperbags, stocking alts etc etc

Not sure how you can station alts at pear locations, since it can be pretty much any harvestible in any map. And no sure why would you station your alt at hydro, since the problem with hydro is the swords, not the char.

The other alts you mentioned, I don't have a problem with.

There are several maps with only a few harvestables, which are sometimes hard to get to. These maps are generally not checked with a pear finder but the few harvestables are simply harvested. I have seen alts log in in these maps in the past, when I was there to harvest at the start of the new day. I havent searched pears in a long time, maybe they stopped doing that.

With respect to harvestables. A char that can make the swords and harvest the ore needs several pickpoints in (harvest and manu) nexus, they will not be the strongest fighters, the fighters that can get to the hydro without much problem don't have the nexus to harvest, so they bring the swords and have an alt at the ore to harvest. This alt can go there on no drop or peace day, armed with a pickax. This is not hypothetical but is being done.

I do not see the problem with a harvester char at hydro. I can harvest hydro myself (i have all nexuses) and while i am bad in pk i am a pretty good all-round build with 160 a/d. so if i am lucky i can sometimes manage to get through with stivy active (not that i went to hydro in some time).

The reason for me to have an alt at hydro that can harv the hydro is, that i can speed up my time a little bit. The walk from closest storage to hydro takes about 7-8 mins if you do not use speed hax or horse. my alt can harvest 22 swords in that time, i can deliver 24 swords in that time. i can harvest myself the amount of swords in half the time. but would get bored out the hell of it. while otherwise have myself occupied in time. i prefer it that way. This said. i think i did harvest in the last 6 month maybe 20 hydro ores. pretty much stopped harving hydro.

So why do i have no trouble with having a char at hydro that does only the harving.

1. the most expensive and dangerous part is getting the swords to hydro.

2. the most time consuming part is to get the swords to hydro.

3. in my book right now the harving of hydro is pretty much a non profit business. if money is made out of the hydro business it is by making swords, or mixing the hydro bars on recycling day. those extras you get then is what may make get you into the profit marge.

Based on the prices stuff are sold these days in el. hydro is to time consuming, to resource hungry and to expensiv compared with make other things and buy the hydro at NPC. Even if you do not count in the losses some people will have these days if they go regular on hydro.

Same goes for shopping chars that are stationed at a shop. where is the big advantage of that compared with the fact that you can have a char that can shop of you and do other things around it. except maybe a few tele esses saved.

Definitely in agreement with all the above..

OK - so no one has mentioned the elephant(s) in the room....

1) Having an alt in a strategic spot to see someone passing to / from a specific location simply to watch for passers by and then call in the main - Am thinking specifically of placing alts in spots on the hydro route

2 ) placing alts by spawn so that you can then serp / call main - again thinking of NRM RD

3 ) having alt by your training location with the sole purpose of collecting your DB - enabling you to train without a brick

The 3 new rules radu wants to add are ok. Probably will harm some players who use that "creative" ways with their alts but seems fair.

But... What about some alts used as "spies" (by example in the hydro route and NRM red dragon spawn)? If the new rules forbid using alts as spies for the main char, that would benefit many players (harvesters, FEs and bars mixers, s2es mixers, etc...) and would harm just a few (or maybe one player and his alts). That has been suggested in EL public channels from some time ago, now radu wants to add new rules about alts so it's the perfect time to forbid spy alts.

As i know of only one joker spawn, and often do dailies with two characters at a time it is possible to accidentally go afk on a spawn i dont know about

how are the rules interpreted for that?

and how does a mod ask you if you are spawn watching without spoiling you to a spawn location?

considering the one joker spawn i know is within sight of a place i afk my hunting mule while other is working, i now move out of sight of that spot just because

Edited by caladina

:P for joker spawn it would be placing many chars at many differnt locations, and then login logout fast just so you know its there, for neno and invdrag spawns it would be having chars sitting there most times online, or just going online on that spot to check it and then log off.

I think nobody has a problem with a char that is moving around often to sit a (short or whatever you call it for) while at a spawn location. especially if you are not hunting that spawn creature.

I have one alt (female) I use for testing customs.

Would it not be possible to put a limit on the number of alts a player could have?...(I have no idea if this would be possible)

Some alts are shared so it would be hard.

That is breaking rule 8, don't share your pw. Rule 8 doesn't have a punishment though.

there are people who play several characters as regular ones so limiting them might not be great, limiting un used ones would be very good

As for the testing char, i do have one i use for testing el client on different devices while not at home, it would fall under the hammer of an unused char as its not going to be built up.

I am still using it to test devices and show people EL and it is still being used for a good reason, i have it because i dont want to log any of my main characters on to devices that are not mine or in shops as demos.

Radu i have asked a couple of times if my tester char can be kept as it falls out side some rules and not had a reply in game, name of char is eltester

Edited by caladina

fighter, potter/crafter , alrounder for manufacturing and two harvesting mules and a runner

you dont need multiply chars to enjoy el, having different type of character means you can do different things depending how you feel, some days i dont feel like monster mashing, some days i dont feel like harving for long periods

Edited by caladina

Something else showing up recently:
Alts (same IP at least) posting in @@3 very close to one another (as this is a public thread, I'm not going to post names).
While each char respects the 5 min minimum delay, as a group they do not; cf. channel rules:

"4. Players are allowed 1 ad per 5 minutes if applicable, such as guild recruitment ads on channel 4. This also applies as a per guild (or group) rule. One ad per guild or group (regardless who posts) per 5 minutes.."

While that should not imply that members of the same guild can't post their trade ads less than 5 min after another guild member posts (the other member or the guild doesn't profit from that trade ad), I think this should apply to alts (where the same player profits from the ads).

Edited by revi

Like Robert_E_Lee in VotD which when players made comments about Riptide tried to rip their ass off?

I made it clear already that placing alts at spawns is not ok, but I want to put it on the forums too.

so if every body was agreed that this rule would be for the best(including mods whom commented) why was it sctratched out?

yet we are left odd rules 'do not kill your alt to often'and 'dont afk pin' when the actual rule that could be for the great for the game is brushed aside?

it is a strange statement.

Edited by starscreamer

It's strange because you don't have the context around the "correction".

Basically, there were two options, radu picked this one...