Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

A slight change to armor nexus

It's always kind of bothered me that human 3 seems to add so few new choices to armor, while 4 and 5 seem to add so many. It almost makes human 3 not be a valid option, you need to move on to 4 to get any real choices. So I was thinking about two changes to try and smooth things out a bit:

1. Move Ti-Chain from human 4 to 3.

2. Move Iron-Plate from human 5 to 4.

This move is also justified by the new price adjustment to Ti-Chain (5K gc) which would make it a reasonable choice at a lower nexus than previously. Of course I'd prefer to get the EFE out of it so it's reasonable to mix them, but that's a different topic.

This adjustment would make it so that every nexus level gets a new piece of body armor:

1 - iron chain

2 - steel chain

3 - ti-chain

4 - iron-plate

5 - steel and Ti-plate

6 - (nothing, but this is where all the greater swords are)

7 - all dragon plate

There already seems to be a pretty good progression on weapons with at least one new choice at each level. Helms have a bit of a gap at human 2, but it would take a lot more changes (more movement of stuff) to get good coverage from 2-4, although it would be nice. There are some big gaps in leg/feet armor, but it would take a lot more changes to fill that, and I'm trying to keep this simple so it might actually happen.

I know most fighters/PKers zip right up to 6 or higher. But there are a lot of other people playing other skills and a few more choices in the lower nexus ranges would be nice for them.

I think this is a sensible suggestion. As new things have been introduced over time, usually for the higher level players, it has led to inconsistencies for those at lower levels. EL would benefit from standing back & taking a lookat the whole picture, and restructuring level based things where necessary. Of course, this is not a very sexy use of time when compared to new, exciting stuff, but it would imho improve the game experience.

I think this is a sensible suggestion. As new things have been introduced over time, usually for the higher level players, it has led to inconsistencies for those at lower levels. EL would benefit from standing back & taking a lookat the whole picture, and restructuring level based things where necessary. Of course, this is not a very sexy use of time when compared to new, exciting stuff, but it would imho improve the game experience.

Couldn't be said better. I wholeheartedly concur. There are many things left to rot, while new things are introduced. It would really be a very good addition to game experience if this "mess" has been "cleaned" for more smooth and consistent "foodchain" don't you think?

I can see this making sense in theory, but in practice, most of the fighters will get human 7, and most of the non fighter probably human 5.

...and most of the non fighter probably human 5.

Well you clearly have access to player statistics that I don't, but I would submit that if that's true, it's because there isn't a nice distribution of armor along the way. If there were more choices along the way then people might not feel forced to go to 5.

Everyone aims at at least steel plate, if not titanium, regardless of their skills, if they are interested in A/D as well.

Sure sure...

So why not change it anyways?

Irrelevant of if it won't impact many players, if it's not going to hurt any and if the change makes sense, why not do it?

Everyone aims at at least steel plate, if not titanium, regardless of their skills, if they are interested in A/D as well.

No they don't! :)

My a/d is in the 80's, and constantly improving with the daily quests. I plan to start training on fluffies in a couple more def levels (so I'm not restoring once per fluffy). A/D has always been important to me, but it's never been my primary skill (although now only alch and harvest have higher levels).

I have human 2. Using high-end gear (anything with an EFE or binding stone) is pointless because it's expensive and not worth it to me. I do all my training in steal-chain and aug-pants. I can break dozens if not hundreds of pieces of this stuff for the cost of one set of high-end gear. I'd be interested in going to human 3 to add ti-chain (with the above change) and ti-short, but I won't waste the PPs for human 4 or higher.

Now I realize many people like to train in high end gear. We've all seen people training on wolves in their dragon armor. :medieval: But I can't justify wasting PPs and GC so I can train on critters that are actually to strong for me.

I may be in the minority with my views, but I bet I'm not the only one. And I'm clearly not "everyone".

And as Korrode says, it won't hurt anything and it will help some people. It's a simple change of two values in the armor configuration setup. And to be honest, more time has been spent posting than it would take to make the change. :omg:

It's a matter of principle. Just because I can implement it in minutes doesn't mean that I should, because then everyone will come with little things that will, when combined, take forever to do.

If I get more requests from people actually needing that for their own characters (not for a friend, brother, guildie, etc.) then I will implement it.

It's a matter of principle. Just because I can implement it in minutes doesn't mean that I should, because then everyone will come with little things that will, when combined, take forever to do.

If I get more requests from people actually needing that for their own characters (not for a friend, brother, guildie, etc.) then I will implement it.

I agree with the principle, that it's easy to implement shouldn't have too much weight (in theory at least).

The thing is, do you think this suggestion is useful and would it improve the game? If yes, it's on the 'eligible to implement' list, if not, just say so and drop the suggestion... After that, it's a matter of available time and priorities on your part.

(fwiw, I like the suggestion, as it seems to make for a better progression in armors; the current distribution seems to have grown from adding new armors, w/o 'down-grading' requirements for now 'semi-obsolete' stuff : top players use top gear and invest PPs to use it, but steel plate isn't top gear anymore...)

It's a matter of principle.

OK, yes, that makes sense.

I doubt anyone is going to see this buried in Suggestions as it is. But I specifically want this for my main char on the PK server. All I personally want is the change to Ti-Chain, but I think moving Iron-Plate should also happen for the continuity aspect. That is, I was making a "good for the game" suggestion rather than a "good for bkc" suggestion.

Or he could move some of them to needing HIGHER nexuses instead of trying to fill a perceived gap, Human 10 anyone?

Or he could move some of them to needing HIGHER nexuses instead of trying to fill a perceived gap, Human 10 anyone?

If it means the system would make more sense and give a better progression of armor usage up through the nexus, sure.

Everyone would need to take the nexus, so it'd be fair.

If it means the system would make more sense and give a better progression of armor usage up through the nexus, sure.

As you might know, the human nexus is not for body armor alone, it is for ALL armor and WEAPONS.

All nexus levels have useful items. Obviously, the good items require a higher nexus, but that doesn't mean that nexus 2 and 3 are unused.

Furthermore, if I 'fix it', there will probably be a few people bitching that they want their PPs back because they got nexus 5 only to wear some armor that after the 'fix' would be nexus 4. And I have no intention to deal with that crap.

I think the main reason mixers and casual fighters take human 5 is to use a CoL, not to use a certain armour set, so I would be surprised if people bitched about this change.

I think so as well. Either you have human 2/3 for cheap armors, or you have all the way up to 5-7 to wear CoL/great swords. I don't think someone would bitch for having his fancy armor needing nexus 4, whilst still needing human 5 to wear a CoL...