Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Khalai

Items with multiple products output

I was thinking, that if you try to make for example creature food, now you put ingredients in mix window and hope for the best producing either nothing or 60 creature food.

I suggest that instead of all or nothing principle, you should be able to produce up to 60 creature food, depending on your potioning level. I'll explain: every success/fail roll is rolled sixty times and determines HOW MANY of those 60 you were able to produce, instead of simple ALL or NOTHING scheme right now. Experience should be appropriate part of how many you were able to reproduce. Same could go with any item, that produces multiple products at one mixing time.

And how exactly this improves gameplay? It would encourage people to try high level stuff a little earlier, rather than to grind high above recommended level to try your luck. If person loses for example two or three refined mixtures while not producing a single creature food, he is discouraged, broke and does not wish to try it again soon. He either grinds level like mad or go do something else. Now imagine, that this player was able to produce about 20-40 creature food out of 180. He still burnt same amount of ingredients, but he is happy to achieve at least something as well as getting at least some fraction of experience. Same could go with any items, for example arrows. (it a pain to gather all feathers, enriched essences and lost it, one is the discouraged to try again)

The creature food or arrows are just an example. No, I do not want myself to get easier things, hell, I don't even have a books read nor levels for either arrows or mule stuff.

This would be great for FE and other essences.
Click

Wait

Wait

Wait

Wait

Wait

You managed 300 FEs, 2 EFEs and lost the ingredients for 60.

Total time for this one click: 6 minutes+ where you can't do anything except type and browse the forums. Oh and play a game of solitaire.

Gotta say I'd be against this.

Personally, I worked hard to get my pot level up to be able to make creature food with minimal chance of ing loss. When I click that button I expect 60 foods to appear, and no less. Ditto Speed Hax pots, I expect 12 and no less.

Having a set number allows for easier project planning (harving all the ings with reserves for loss to make X amount of creature food). Better to harv extra, to mix extra, than "hope for the best" and not know how many you're gonna get.

This would be great for FE and other essences.

You misunderstood it. It is not to make bulks of essencies by putting ingreds of 100 in mix window.

It is meant for items, which produce more than one product at a time, like arrows or certain potions.

Gotta say I'd be against this.

Personally, I worked hard to get my pot level up to be able to make creature food with minimal chance of ing loss. When I click that button I expect 60 foods to appear, and no less. Ditto Speed Hax pots, I expect 12 and no less.

Having a set number allows for easier project planning (harving all the ings with reserves for loss to make X amount of creature food). Better to harv extra, to mix extra, than "hope for the best" and not know how many you're gonna get.

If your level is high enough to make creature food reliably, this would have minimal to none effect on you. This is meant for people approximately 5-10 level either below or above recommended level.

It's an interesting idea but concerning for example creature food we can also see things in a different way. Imagine for example that to make creature food you need a big recipient where you put all the ingreds. Then when the mixture is ready, you put it in several vials.

So, if you fail the mixture, then you should lose all the ingreds, no?

I could see this going 2 ways.

A.

If you make a batch of something, most of the chance of loss would be on mixing the stuff together in.....a vat or something. While cooking food, I could imagine that some could be lost because it burned to the pot and managed to not ruin the rest of the pot.

Some of the risk for the potions could be...."Oops! I spilled some" or "Oops! I knocked over the vial while filling it".

3/4 or more of the ingred loss risk should remain with the vat as a whole. Some could be moved to the individual vials. Would this be better though? A potion maker may actually end up failing more of the batch than they currently do.

B.

You chop the ingreds into portions for individual potions. You try to mix them one at a time. You either put the right portions of the various ingreds in and mix it right or you don't, therefore making a chance per potion of loss. If this happens and the chance to fail a mix of the individual potion is as great as the chance to fail a mix of the current potion batch, you have more of a chance to get less for your work. If this happens and the chance to fail a mix of the individual potion is less than the chance to fail a mix of the current potion batch.....it could be more or less of a chance to get less for your work according to exactly what the chance is and how many times you roll the failure dice.

It's an interesting idea but concerning for example creature food we can also see things in a different way. Imagine for example that to make creature food you need a big recipient where you put all the ingreds. Then when the mixture is ready, you put it in several vials.

this has a point

but it works only with potions...

when you carve arrows you do them one by one (in RL)

I like the idea,it would enable lower leveled people to try mixing harder stuff with less risk.

And,if they would try on lower levels,they would lose some->money sink.

this way they either wait till good level or ask someone with high level to do it for them,so very few losts.

Hmm, i do a lot of cooking at home, and by my observation things go wrong in different way - you start burn the mixture, so you get another pot, put there, what you can save, then continue with it (happened many times, especially with rice, pudding, but also spagheti, potatoes, soup ... meat - you chop out the burned part and use the rest too).

Also if you discover, that you did use salt, not sugar, as you meant, then if you react fast, you can save a lot of it ... but have to throw out big part away ...

or you use only part of it, and put a lot of watter inside (and potatoes) to offset the oversalting ... there are ways usually to save at least part of it.

Baking anything (eg. bread, cookies) also you rarely have to throw away all of it, usually at least a part is not burned and can be used anyway.

(And yes, you can break thinks of glass, when you put something hot inside and the glass is not strictly percet - so you lose the one glass+content, but hopely not those others...)