Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

Red snake poison message

I killed a red snake today and got poisoned, of course. :P

But there was no message, like you get from other creatures, when they do something special ("you got mana burned by the black bear", "you are paralized for 3 rounds by the large spider", etc).

So i suggest that the server sends too a message when you get poisoned by a red snake.

Piper

Yes, please!

I was confused the first time I killed a red snake and my health kept going down after it died... until I noticed the green drop in the lower-left of my screen.

That only makes sense... why confuse people? I was getting the skins for def god quest and i didnt know i got poisoned....

So i suggest that the server sends too a message when you get poisoned by a red snake.
I was confused the first time I killed a red snake and my health kept going down after it died... until I noticed the green drop in the lower-left of my screen.

The client knows that you have been poisoned (it shows the symbol in the corner), so rather than adding extra traffic from the server, it would be better to just trigger a message in the client.

That said, part of the reason for showing little icons in the corner (and whatever) is to try to reduce the spammyness of the client. I'm not sure adding extra messages is necessary, maybe just something to bring your attention to the icon (make it brighter or have it flash or something) instead??

That said, part of the reason for showing little icons in the corner (and whatever) is to try to reduce the spammyness of the client. I'm not sure adding extra messages is necessary, maybe just something to bring your attention to the icon (make it brighter or have it flash or something) instead??

Sorta on topic with this, I have always wondered if it was possible to have 1 poison drop icon per time poisoned. So for example, if you get poisoned by two red mushrooms in a row, it shows 2 drops. I never thought of it for snakes, but it would be good for snake, spider, and skunk poisonings too.

Sorta on topic with this, I have always wondered if it was possible to have 1 poison drop icon per time poisoned. So for example, if you get poisoned by two red mushrooms in a row, it shows 2 drops. I never thought of it for snakes, but it would be good for snake, spider, and skunk poisonings too.

Hmmm.... I don't remember the exact implementation. If it is done as a "buff", that's basically a flag that is sent to the client to say "You have had this done..." and then a message to say "You are now clear", then no, because I would assume that if you already have the poison flag set, then it wouldn't resend it.

However... if they are sent as specific individual messages, with corresponding turn off messages for each occasion then sure, it should be totally possible to show an additional "icon" for each occurrence.

I'll take a look at these if I get motivated (and remember).

Spider can poison you? :P

Or thats a new suggestion? ^^

~Fry

The client knows that you have been poisoned (it shows the symbol in the corner), so rather than adding extra traffic from the server, it would be better to just trigger a message in the client.

The traffic from such a message would be minimal, red snake or skunk trainers are quite rare. I guess there would be less than 50 messages per day.

It's not worth implementing in the client.

And it would give me a good laugh if I see someone getting poisoned. :P

The traffic from such a message would be minimal, red snake or skunk trainers are quite rare. I guess there would be less than 50 messages per day.

And it would give me a good laugh if I see someone getting poisoned. :unsure:

Yes, but how many people use toadstools and get poisoned at storage? B)

And it would give me a good laugh if I see someone getting poisoned. :unsure:

Yes, but how many people use toadstools and get poisoned at storage? B)

You already get a poison message for toadstools.. so nothing would change there.. and add 50 or so more messages being sent per day.. and its not a big difference.

not sure if it would be possible but maybe if you get poisoned your entire character could turn to a shade of green or big bold letters PS or POIS could appear above your head to warn you...

I automatically assume if nothing's around or whatever is "dead" and I'm losing health I was poisoned by it...but a message other then the little green drop would be helpful

not sure if it would be possible but maybe if you get poisoned your entire character could turn to a shade of green or big bold letters PS or POIS could appear above your head to warn you...

A year or so back someone provided a patch for the client that turned the window green and slightly out of focus iirc. It was a cool idea, but a little excessive I think.

Sorta on topic with this, I have always wondered if it was possible to have 1 poison drop icon per time poisoned. So for example, if you get poisoned by two red mushrooms in a row, it shows 2 drops.

Having talked to Ent, he doesn't think it particularly worthwhile because different forms of getting poisoned have different effects, so it wouldn't be accurate having a number of icons for each case of being poisoned.

Sorta on topic with this, I have always wondered if it was possible to have 1 poison drop icon per time poisoned. So for example, if you get poisoned by two red mushrooms in a row, it shows 2 drops.

Having talked to Ent, he doesn't think it particularly worthwhile because different forms of getting poisoned have different effects, so it wouldn't be accurate having a number of icons for each case of being poisoned.

It seemed worthwhile to me, not to know an exact amount of damage, but to see how bad the cumulative effects will be. I expect if somebody is killing snakes or eating toadstools, they have a general idea already what to expect, the multiple drops will just help you keep track of how many times in a row you were poisoned so you can plan accordingly.

Oh well :pickaxe:

It seemed worthwhile to me, not to know an exact amount of damage, but to see how bad the cumulative effects will be. I expect if somebody is killing snakes or eating toadstools, they have a general idea already what to expect, the multiple drops will just help you keep track of how many times in a row you were poisoned so you can plan accordingly.

I agree entirely.

The example that Ent provided was that the level of poison depends on the magic level of a caster, so it changes depending on who is attacking you. This of course extends to every other case of poison in the game.

However, I would think that what you would likely be doing would be repetitive, and hence having an icon for each case of poisoning whilst not necessarily being exactly accurate (which it never was intended to be anyway), it would be helpful in a very general way.

I asked him about this just before he went to bed, so I intend on having another chat about it again at a more reasonable time. We'll see what happens.