Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Testing the first secret thing :)

This is a feature many players wanted since the dawn of mankind, and, previously, we always said that it's not going to happen, but oh well, things change.

So, download the updated client from here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/el.exe and overwrite the current el.exe with it. If you don't know how to do that, please don't participate in this test.

Once you are done with the previous step, log in to the test server.

If you are on Linux, get the latest cvs client and compile it with VARIABLE_SPEED

I repeat, please do not show up for this test with the old client, it will not work for you, and will just waste my time.

i was just wanting to make a suggestion.

once this goes on main it will use potions.. what if. instead of eating1 food per step. the potion lasted 5 or 10 seconds.. and had a random chance to slow you down instead of speed up.. or to freeze you in your spot for 10 seconds ??

just an idea.

once this goes on main it will use potions.. what if. instead of eating1 food per step. the potion lasted 5 or 10 seconds.. and had a random chance to slow you down instead of speed up.. or to freeze you in your spot for 10 seconds ??

just an idea.

Then it will be useless in a combat or Pk context, no?

just an idea.

Then it will be useless in a combat or Pk context, no?

well. if you left it at taking 1 food per step. moving at that rate of speed it will run out in less than 10 seconds if you are using it to chase down or flee from some one. like if you had dissed and ran.

.. well.. i take back my arguement for my idea lol.. b/c i just realized one could keep feasting potions with you and it would be faster and probably alot cheaper to just keep eating FP's than it would be to use multiple speed potions...

but.. i do think the potions should have a negative drawback.. like a 5% chance to be frozen for 5 seconds or 10 seconds.. . would be annoying and deadly if used in a combat or pk situation..

#edit better yet.. if you have IEDP perk.. keep munchin on bones.. or eat toadstools if you dont have it.. then you could potentially stay running for a long time and your only fear is that if you are eating toads that you might get poisoned :/

Edited by jizzy

Why the desire to make walking fast so hard to use, expensive, or have such a negative side effect? Why can't good features be, well, good?

Why not make fast-walk a simple command to use (perhaps using one food when you switch states), and have it use food at 2x the normal rate (or 6x if you're power-hungry) since it appears that you move twice as fast. If there's a desire for people to not use it all the time, then have it reduce health at about the same rate as a solar flare #day.

Easy to use, only costing some extra food and perhaps some health if you try to run a marathon.

Why the desire to make walking fast so hard to use, expensive, or have such a negative side effect? Why can't good features be, well, good?

Easy to use, only costing some extra food and perhaps some health if you try to run a marathon.

b/c on the test server radu said this was for emergencies.. i was keeping that in mind.. if its for emergencies then you need negative side affects to keep it from being used all the time and only for true emergencies.

just my thoughts

so walking fast..........w00t...........i am so freaking happy...........!!!!!!!!!!

why dont use some (cross)attribute to describe ur endurance?

im not sure what i think is better (food or attribute) its just something that came to my mind.

It worked well for me, just looked pretty funny when my lil dwarf legs were pumping away. I found it took some getting used to when used for short distances, e.g. when I was trying to run after a wolf and shoot it. I guess that wouldn't constitute an emergency, but it might make PK interesting when you dodge back and forth.

lilcnoot

Why not make fast-walk a simple command to use (perhaps using one food when you switch states), and have it use food at 2x the normal rate (or 6x if you're power-hungry) since it appears that you move twice as fast. If there's a desire for people to not use it all the time, then have it reduce health at about the same rate as a solar flare #day.

Lol, are you serious?

It worked well for me, just looked pretty funny when my lil dwarf legs were pumping away.

Today we were mainly testing a proof of concept, so this is not final. We'll have real run animations before this makes it to the main server (probably near the end of the year).

Maybe making it depend on attributes would be a good idea:

load - for every 5% over 1/3 of your EMU, slow down (up to you to set the rate) (would make running for heavy armored and packed tanks quite difficult)

dexterity - the more dexterity you have, the faster you are

EDIT: also considering what you have worn could be a factor ...

Edited by groomsh

When this feature reaches the pk-server, will it require food at the same rate as on main (whatever rate that will be...).

Or, since there is no cooldown on fruits etc, it will use much more food so that it cant be used 24/7?

Just wondering.

When this feature reaches the pk-server, will it require food at the same rate as on main (whatever rate that will be...).

Or, since there is no cooldown on fruits etc, it will use much more food so that it cant be used 24/7?

Just wondering.

I don't know. One option is to use mana instead of food..

Lol, are you serious?
Yes, but I hadn't seen the "for emergencies only" comment that someone above said you made during testing. That obviously would change things.

This is great.

Alot of people will likely scream copycat after me, but why not add an energy meter to the interface? It starts at 100%, then every few steps you run it drains one percent. When you stop running and starts walking, the energy meter slowly recharges. Off course, there could be some expensive potion that recharges this percent instantly. Maybe even have a skill/attribute/perk that increases the rate your energy regenerates.

And yes, alot of this is from the game RuneScape, but hell, it's a good concept..

We'll have real run animations before this makes it to the main server (probably near the end of the year).

Will there be clouds of dust following the runner? that would be really cool :)

This is great.

Alot of people will likely scream copycat after me, but why not add an energy meter to the interface? It starts at 100%, then every few steps you run it drains one percent. When you stop running and starts walking, the energy meter slowly recharges. Off course, there could be some expensive potion that recharges this percent instantly. Maybe even have a skill/attribute/perk that increases the rate your energy regenerates.

And yes, alot of this is from the game RuneScape, but hell, it's a good concept..

thats in a way what i meant, but why not base that "energy meter" totaly on toughness for example (i think phys and vit are good indicators for this)?