Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pyewacket

Time to branch out?

Ok, be gentle with the flames and replies please, this idea originally came from my 12yr old son but was sufficiently amusing for me to want to post it in suggestions anyway.

Now things are a little more spread out for pking and people are once again wearing CotU in pk maps, why not have a VERY VERY low percent chance for players harvesting wood branches (for engineering) suddenly harvesting a BroD(Branch of Destruction)?

And I mean extremely low chance..less or same as chance to get one of the rarer Nex removal stones is.

Along the same lines, make ONE type of monster which drops bones also have a chance to drop a BoD(Bone of Death). The first thoughts on this were which high up monster drops bones, but having considered it, I think it would be MUCH better putting that chance of a special drop into lower A/D players hands, so perhaps a beaver should drop this item (every 1 million beavers, maybe*number pulled out of arse warning*).

I have done a preliminary forums search but found nothing that outright covers the suggestion here. Found some interesting arguements about how bad the BroD and BoD is here:-

No More BroD Plx thread

But things have altered a LOT since those times and people are now mroe used to being on the lookout for branch in pk, as well as BoD being used fairly regularly both on NDD and normal pk as a weapon of choice.

My arguement for giving these weapons to lower level players is simple. They have less chance to get one by any other means in comparison to an experienced (and therefore potentially gc-richer) player. Just level the field a little, and watch those noobs train gargs with a BoD.

There are currently enough money sinks around the game that the odd BroD or BoD coming in from none NPC means shouldnt harm the outgoing GC too much.

Ok, whaddya think? (and yes, if I ever DO get caught in pk with more than just the usual leathers on and no CotU to protect my gears, I am prepared to lose my stoof with a graceful smile and curse only myself for my stupidity!).

Or you remove mana rings, brod, bod, so it's possible to use some other cloaks besides the 1/500(?) breakrated cotu cape.

Or make cotu capes a drop-item. Feros don't drop anything anyway.

Ontopic: Great idea, I so hope this gets ingame.

yea..have a chance (small chance) to get a bod and have a monster drop a brod.

to many brods ingame atm anyway,so not a fan of this idea, but maybe ppl harving branches should have a small chance to be hit by a brod :)

what does it mean too many brods? imo either everyone or no one should be able to own it (anyway, brod is not doing anything on its own, it is the players who use it, so there could be 1 million brods on the server and no harm, or one brod in a hands of an outlaw causing all the mess)

as to the original idea, any random event addition spices up the game so yes, it would be nice to introduce this suggestion

to many brods ingame atm anyway,so not a fan of this idea, but maybe ppl harving branches should have a small chance to be hit by a brod :)

I like Conavar's ideea better.

ontopic: if you would get more branches the price would drop, and many player would try to ruin your equipment, and when some "nice people" start branching on NND that is kind of jerkish, and this ideea would promote this even better.

I honestly dislike branch of the destruction. I completely can't understand people finding funny destroying others equipment.

I think that introducing more BroDs may encourage people to start using it. Hence, I don't like this idea at all.

<edit>

Tried to correct some of my lousy English. Failed as always.

Edited by Eiri

I like Conavar's ideea better.

ontopic: if you would get more branches the price would drop, and many player would try to ruin your equipment, and when some "nice people" start branching on NND that is kind of jerkish, and this ideea would promote this even better.

For me it is hypocrisy. Me branching - good, others branching - bad. If that was in my power I would remove this weapon from the game entirely, but as long as it exists, it should be available easier to everyone. This way a broder would never be sure that he won't face the same from the person s/he attacked.

Or you remove mana rings, brod, bod, so it's possible to use some other cloaks besides the 1/500(?) breakrated cotu cape.

Or make cotu capes a drop-item. Feros don't drop anything anyway.

Ontopic: Great idea, I so hope this gets ingame.

Thats not true...they drop invisibility potions :)

No.

Just think how people are complaining about JSoC and other special swords, because just few people own them. Same would happen with BoD and BroD. Just few people in game got it and would use them against others. So here we go again... Everyone complains and nothing has changed :)

i like the idea. i think more ppl loosing armor to a BRoD would stimulate the economy for us manuers.

plus with the threat of loosing armor much higher this would cause more ppl to spend money at the npc to buy the red cape.. so more money sink..

i think it would be great.. i loose my armor plenty fast as it is anyways.. an extra BRoD here and there wouldnt hurt too bad.

Just a small additional note in favour of my sons' original idea, please remember Radu himself said he likes the NDD's because it causes more armour breakages, so he is clearly already in favour of things being broken. This idea wouldnt bring in HUGE amounts of BroD or BoD, but the odd ones here or there in the hands of players who otherwise couldnt afford them. So yes, improved economy either from the lucky finders selling them off, or using them and the poor luckless sod who gets hit having to replace their armour.

Plus the idea of a newb merc runner being attacked by a pker, turning out to have a BoD which no one expected quite amuses me...dunno why...heh

edit:added word in bold..my bad!

Edited by Pyewacket

I like the idea and i think it would be kool to be training and u go to pick up the drops and there happens to be a BoD. Or harvesting branches next to ws sto to lvl up ur firs eng lvl and u suddenly have a message on ur screen. While harvesting branches time4udie found a Branch of Destruction. I think it would be nice.

#Edit-Spelling

Edited by time4u2die

i like the idea. i think more ppl loosing armor to a BRoD would stimulate the economy for us manuers.

plus with the threat of loosing armor much higher this would cause more ppl to spend money at the npc to buy the red cape.. so more money sink..

i think it would be great.. i loose my armor plenty fast as it is anyways.. an extra BRoD here and there wouldnt hurt too bad.

And how far we want to go with money sink?? untill we have no money at the end of each day, and in the morning we start at the lupin bush again???

For me it is hypocrisy. Me branching - good, others branching - bad. If that was in my power I would remove this weapon from the game entirely, but as long as it exists, it should be available easier to everyone. This way a broder would never be sure that he won't face the same from the person s/he attacked.

Amen to most of that .

Imo using the brod is the most extreme ahole thing you can do, and I know many guilds have a very strict policy on using it only in extreme cases. It´s ingame though.. and you can't really blame people for using whatever possibilities the game offers. To each our own. But seen as there are more than enough Brods around, I would not like the chance of getting it through a random harvest event.

BOD is a bit different. It may kill you, or at least damage your health very badly, but it won´t destroy hours/days/weeks of hard work. In the worst case, getting hit by a bod costs you your rosto (assuming you are smart enough to take one if you are all equiped to the nines).

Just my 2 cents.

Dilly

There is a very simple solution to this problem...

FIRST! Spend the 10 pickpoints and get yourself the NMT perk.

SECOND! Go to White Stone City and visit the cloak seller. 6500 gold coin will buy you 1 Cape of the Unbreakable.

Now the red cape can break so buy a few. When I go into PK areas I have at least 3 red capes in my inventory and I dont have to give up a NMT to protect myself from the BroD and BoD.

btw the red cape also protects you from damage rings + mana destruction rings.

Worth the 10 PP imo because it makes me feel good that I can have both protections at the same time :)

Good job on stating the obvious Paul. Gee, I would never have thought about that were you present.

I don't like the idea of BroDs 'harvestable' (for the reasons Dilly mentioned), however BoDs may be okay. Like what the bunnies drop (uber rare books?) to give some money to the newbies (although, that being, said you'll probably find me on IP hunting wabbits and beavers all day for a BoD :) ).

Personally though, I don't particularly like the usage of these weapons. People complain that it makes PK more about who has the most GC than who has spent most time levelling.

Or harvesting branches next to ws sto to lvl up ur firs eng lvl and u suddenly have a message on ur screen. While harvesting branches time4udie found a Branch of Destruction. I think it would be nice.

Shouldnt be told imo... add's to the "fun" factor if you accidently use a BROD to make ashes :) (and if not possible it should be)

Or harvesting branches next to ws sto to lvl up ur firs eng lvl and u suddenly have a message on ur screen. While harvesting branches time4udie found a Branch of Destruction. I think it would be nice.

Shouldnt be told imo... add's to the "fun" factor if you accidently use a BROD to make ashes :) (and if not possible it should be)

Lol, but wouldn't it be in a different slot? And glowing? I dont think many people are stupid enough to try and make ashes with a glowing stick that isn't with your other sticks...

Personally though, I don't particularly like the usage of these weapons. People complain that it makes PK more about who has the most GC than who has spent most time levelling.

This would not be the case if branch harvesters had a chance of getting one.

Good job on stating the obvious Paul. Gee, I would never have thought about that were you present.

Just cause you get it doesn't mean others will. Too many people fucking complain about the BroD and BoD all the fucking time.

Get over it and buy some red capes.

FIRST! Spend the 10 pickpoints and get yourself the NMT perk.

Sorry to point this out, but NMT perk is only 7 pp...

Even more a reason to get the perk :D

TY for pointed that out