Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hermit

Timer

Errm, I was thinking of a utility that you would be able to use kind of like a bakers timer. Now maybe I'm just being lazy and not downloading a freeware timer, but I think it would be a nice addition to have on the client. It would be helpful if you are to meet someone at a certain time. But the main reason for it would be to time posts on market channel (for my use at least). Just like an extra option like view digital clock.

This is a problem for a lot of people and a headache for mods. So why not just add a timer, you can set to 5mins then wait til it runs out and posts again. The timer would only be optional - it would not prevent you from posting in between for reasons likes price checks and stuff. For right now I was thinking every 30 minutes-hr for my auction because I don't want to spam about a topic that will be up for a week.

So maybe a timer that can be as little as 5 seconds, to a 1hr+?

Errm, I was thinking of a utility that you would be able to use kind of like a bakers timer. Now maybe I'm just being lazy and not downloading a freeware timer, but I think it would be a nice addition to have on the client. It would be helpful if you are to meet someone at a certain time. But the main reason for it would be to time posts on market channel (for my use at least). Just like an extra option like view digital clock.

This is a problem for a lot of people and a headache for mods. So why not just add a timer, you can set to 5mins then wait til it runs out and posts again. The timer would only be optional - it would not prevent you from posting in between for reasons likes price checks and stuff. For right now I was thinking every 30 minutes-hr for my auction because I don't want to spam about a topic that will be up for a week.

So maybe a timer that can be as little as 5 seconds, to a 1hr+?

The first concern is that players should wait at least 5 minutes before posting. Having a timer for 5 minutes means that a LOT more people will post at the 5 minute interval where now they are posting in th 5-10 minutes range. Thgat means more spam and a high probablility that the time might have to be increased.

EL has a clock, use it and don't be afraid to wait a little bit too long ... it's better for the channel to wait too long!

My memory is non-existent, using the el clock is like asking me explain rocket science on the help channel.

Click on the clock a number of times so that you can see the time when you scroll up. That is what I do.

Just clicking the clock will give you a text message saying the time.

It does not stick out very well, which is why I click it about 5 times after I post on channel 3 or 4.

I get what you mean about the clock I'll use that for when I'm selling something normal. Problem is sometimes I have more than one channel open so the messages add up fast (even that I'll forget to press the button after I post) :D. Will be way too much hastle to find it for an hour or 30 mins.

And the part a person would forget would be the time it was when they checked the clock... I'm not going to write down every time I posted because I will forget to look at what I wrote down. Where the timer would be better because it would act like an alarm clock where you would have to push a button to reset it. Then it would loop and start the timer over. All you would do is post when your timer go's off.

I get what you mean about the clock I'll use that for when I'm selling something normal. Problem is sometimes I have more than one channel open so the messages add up fast (even that I'll forget to press the button after I post) :D. Will be way too much hastle to find it for an hour or 30 mins.

And the part a person would forget would be the time it was when they checked the clock... I'm not going to write down every time I posted because I will forget to look at what I wrote down. Where the timer would be better because it would act like an alarm clock where you would have to push a button to reset it. Then it would loop and start the timer over. All you would do is post when your timer go's off.

Just click like 10 times on the clock after you posted a message. Then there will be list of timestamps in your chat and it will be easy to find back when you posted your last message :)

The point is that it would be easy to code, and make the client more user friendly. There is always other ways to do thing, but the most efficient is always the best.

The point is that it would be easy to code, and make the client more user friendly. There is always other ways to do thing, but the most efficient is always the best.

Making the client more efficient isn't enough of a justification by itself .... otherwise we would all be bots because thats much more efficient then having to use the mouse & keyboard.

Now maybe I'm just being lazy and not downloading a freeware timer

Is it is legal for players to use an external software stopwatch / clock when i play EL to time when potions or spells might wear off or would that would fall in the range of banned software like macros, etc...?

I'd assume as long as it doesn't auto-engage those things for you (like, it doesn't make you drink another potion) I think it'd be okay. It's basically the same as counting down in your head, say, from 90 to see when your MI wears off :D

And I usually just use the EL clock, if you click it the time appears on console.

Now maybe I'm just being lazy and not downloading a freeware timer

Is it is legal for players to use an external software stopwatch / clock when i play EL to time when potions or spells might wear off or would that would fall in the range of banned software like macros, etc...?

Yea no clocks for you when playing EL!!! And it's not legal either counting in your head till the effect wears off!

I just like hearing it from someone on the moderation team before i use one... Thats what they suggest we do when unsure and at the moment im not sure if i can. Its occurred in the past that one mans point of view of "cheating" is another mans point of view of "being smart"

Edited by LuciferX

There is no rule that says you can't use the clock to watch when a spell wears off. Hence, the moderators have no way to check if you are using a clock to see when your spell is going to wear off :pickaxe: