Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Till_Akysha

Account Sitting

You know, I was finking at a sitter for a char... i mean another player who could play on your char in the time your on a holiday

something like when you make him your sitter he will enter on your char with his password... when you will log on your char with your password, the sitter will no longer control your char. :D So he could lvl your skils but not take your password

What ya think? :)

*I had a line in here that I removed before posting, suffice to say it contained a mild expletive but for a change I bit my tongue*

Sorry for the above line, but it just seemed to fit with the explosion of food from my mouth as I read your post.

Some players do allow others to level for them, but they know that *they* take the responsibility for any actions made by that character.

But I was on holiday, my friend did it
appears all too often on these forums.

I hardly think this will get the official go-ahead. I may be wrong, after all I am but a player.

From the web version of the game rules http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14582

4. Do Not Give Out Your Password.

Once you give your password out to anyone, even for the purpose of character sharing, you relinquish all rights to that character. Eternal Lands is not responsible for the return of your character or account, or for the actions of your character once you have disclosed your password.

As of 9th of April 2006, if anyone contacts us about stolen characters, their IP will be permanently banned.

We are tired of babysitting the morons who get scammed, and our time is more precious than that.

If you are so stupid to get scammed, you shouldn't be playing our game in the first place, let alone contact us to fix your mistake.

In short, character share can easily get you into trouble and we will not help you get your character back, and Entropy might ban you from the game for trying to get the character back!

So he could lvl your skils but not take your password

What ya think? :D

Ahh so he can't take your password but can take your stuff? It really is no accident characters and accounts require a password. Did you ever wonder why?

wow i realy like this idea, keep up the good suggestions !

I think some people here don't get the point.

You assign someone as a sitter, so that person can log on your account with your name but the password is the one of the sitter's char, so you don't have to give your pass. This system is used in travian.

But I think it shouldn't be in EL.

I think we get exactly what the point is. The problem is not the idea, it is the consequences of the idea.

I went away for a couple of weeks, leaving insert_name_here in charge of my account. I just got back and

A) My character has been #reset

B) My character has nothing in storage

C) I am locked

D) I don't exist

E) insert_your_favourite_help_me_thread_contents_here

Please can I be unlocked, it wasn't me, it was my neighbour/dog/ficus/younger brother/cousin/friend/some passing bloke.

I was on holiday for the 25 minutes in which this all happened from my IP.

Somebody typed in the command without my knowledge

Edited by LabRat

Okay, even assuming it's possible to do correctly, so you can't be scammed, which it isn't... The suggestion is basically to add a little control while you get someone else to play for you? No.

I think we get exactly what the point is.

Looking at learner's and aislinn's post they didn't get it at all. Anyway, I already said I don't like it either since there shouldn't be a way to let 2 people play on 1 account.

Hmm...even if you can't steal somebody's account with that you can harm the character in many ways (already mentioned) - clearing storage, reset, #killme yes etc. It would require quite a lot of work to prevent that - no trading, blocked commands etc and it would still be impossible to prevent bad behavior (scamming, cursing in public, bagjumping).

If you don't trust a person enough to give him/her the password you shouldn't lend the character at all. Besides account sharing/lending is generally frowned upon, so I doubt anyone would devote his time to code account sitting option.

I disagree. Aislinn and Learner completely understand the idea, and clearly outlined the extreme volatility of this idea for the players.....Not to mention the headaches it would cause for the mods/admins :)

Edited by Shujral

Looking at learner's and aislinn's post they didn't get it at all.

How do you figure? :)

Well I could be wrong, but learner is showing a rule not to share your pass and talking about the point that if you lose your account's pass you won't get it back.

And you:

It really is no accident characters and accounts require a password.

Oh well, it depends a little on how you interpret it, but there is no hasle with passwords but re-reading it you might have said this on the point your sitter get acces to your storage. Oh well, I guess that was obvious.

If I understand this correctly there would be a "master" password for each character, so that you can give out a gaming password for a character, but the master PW will allow you to override the game password.

While this sounds appealing in theory, it is really a way of playing the game that was not intended. It is supposed to be your character, who you play and not your character who someonelse play/level for you. Besides, there is no guarantee whatsoever that this other person will not do something illegal which will of course have adverse effects on your character.

So all-in-all this is a bad idea. Instead, make sure you have a hard to guess password and play your own character in your own pace.

Edited by Derin

As far as I see if one wants to catch others on words one will find a reason... even if the reason is plain metabolism-product-made-by-horned-creature-which-is-not-a-female-one.

Way to go. This is called constructive critique. Bravo!

<short edit>

Seems above could be misunderstood. I didn't mean Derin's post. -_-

Tsk tsk tsk :>

Edited by Anshar