Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Testing out the new models

I know this isn't exactly programming, but I felt this was the best place to post this.

I need some people to help me test out the new character models.

TESTING ON THIS PART IS DONE FOR NOW

READ EVERYTHING BELOW!

Procedures:

1. Copy your entire Eternal Lands folder to a new location(so you have a duplicate where you can install this new stuff).

2. Download this: New Model Pack

3. Unzip it into the new Eternal Lands directory you made. It should be overwriting some of the existing files there. If you see a folder in your new EL directory called newmodels_test1 then you did this step wrong!

4. Run the elc_scale.exe file! DO NOT run any other .exe file, such as el.exe. If you see all the character models as the same size then you did not run the correct .exe.

ONLY REPORT BUGS ON THE NEW CHARACTER MODELS WHEN USING THIS CLIENT!

It is ok to use this client on the official server IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! If you report bugs when using this client other than character model bugs that you may only post in this thread, you may be banned!

What you should be testing:

-You should be looking for anything that doesn't look right on any character

-Take on/off ALL your equipment: capes, hats, weapons, shields, etc..anything that you can visibly see on your character, try on/off.

-Sit down, walk around, fight-look at all animations.

If something doesn't look right, it's helpful if you're able to post a screenshot here to show me what is wrong.

If it is an animation bug, then please describe to me as best as possible what you think is wrong.

Report any character-model bug, however small it may be, and even if you're not sure if it's a bug.

*Note for Linux users or those who compile their own clients, the NEW_ACTOR_SCALE must be enabled!

Known Bugs:

-the name tag/bars do not change heights with the different character heights.

4. Run the elc_scale.exe file! DO NOT run any other .exe file, such as el.exe. If you see all the character models as the same size then you did not run the correct .exe.

Is there a version of this command for Linux users? I assume that is a Windows executable and based on your other comments a required item. I did see the comment about NEW_ACTOR_SCALE, but it is not clear if the above command would be created as a result.

um..that elc_scale.exe is just the windows client. If you're on Linux, etc.. you'll have to make(or have someone provide) you your own client to run.

Is there a version of this command for Linux users?

It's not a command, its a client. Under Linux you need to compile it yourself, enabling the new NEW_ACTOR_SCALE flag in make.defaults.

If you don't know how to do this you will need to get a Linux client from a friend, but be very careful to match all the library versions and locations (read: prone to many, many bugs). You basically need to have identical installs of the OS. Most "standardised" distros (ie. those with standard locations for things) of the same release version should work.

Is there a version of this command for Linux users?

It's not a command, its a client. Under Linux you need to compile it yourself, enabling the new NEW_ACTOR_SCALE flag in make.defaults.

If you don't know how to do this you will need to get a Linux client from a friend, but be very careful to match all the library versions and locations (read: prone to many, many bugs). You basically need to have identical installs of the OS. Most "standardised" distros (ie. those with standard locations for things) of the same release version should work.

Could the library version mismatch not be avoided by compiling a static version of the linux client ?

"Known Bugs:

-the name tag/bars do not change heights with the different character heights."

Well, they do now, and they are busted... but its 4am so I can't fix them now. Grrrr.

It could just be an optical illusion, but it appears that the lower leg armor (greaves) becomes longer/taller when the character sits down. That is the distance from knee to foot appears farther and as a result the greave appears taller/longer.

Specifically, I've tested this with the human male model.

I don't know if this is by design or not, but the body perportions are different for the new male dwarf. The body is a bit larger, and the head smaller. Also, the body has a sort of barrel-like appearence. Not exactly fat, but sort of like he took a deep breath and is holding it. It's not natural somehow (not as fit and trim as the old model was).

Also, when compared to a reference in the background, the new model is a bit taller than the old model (which is to bad because I think we need more hight differences, not less). Again, I don't know if this was intended or not.

It could just be an optical illusion, but it appears that the lower leg armor (greaves) becomes longer/taller when the character sits down.

It is just that, an optical illusion. When the character is standing, you have a vertical perspective, when sitting the leg is horizontal, so it sits in the same perspective plane..if that makes any sense, i'm not good at explaining these things :)

I don't know if this is by design or not, but the body perportions are different for the new male dwarf. The body is a bit larger, and the head smaller. Also, the body has a sort of barrel-like appearence. Not exactly fat, but sort of like he took a deep breath and is holding it. It's not natural somehow (not as fit and trim as the old model was).

Also, when compared to a reference in the background, the new model is a bit taller than the old model (which is to bad because I think we need more hight differences, not less). Again, I don't know if this was intended or not.

The body is a bit larger, yes, I tried to make more of a difference between the bodies of dwarf/gnome. Dwarves are generally more rotund. The head being smaller is not really intentional.

And it also is a bit taller(only by 0.02 points), although I may change this, I did that to make a size difference between dwarves and gnomes.

Ok, fixed the actor banners. They could possibly do with a little more tweaking, but its difficult. They have not been checked in FPV.

My problem was trying to adjust the values in 2D for an ortho perspective. Very hard to calculate reasonable values. Anyways, this solution appears to work well enough.

Ok, fixed the actor banners. They could possibly do with a little more tweaking, but its difficult. They have not been checked in FPV.

My problem was trying to adjust the values in 2D for an ortho perspective. Very hard to calculate reasonable values. Anyways, this solution appears to work well enough.

Does your banner change take into account the dynamic Ant sizes properly?

Does your banner change take into account the dynamic Ant sizes properly?

Well the existing banner seemed to handle the original scaling quite well. From what I saw, it was only this new scaling that was broken. Given that, this new scaling should work with both types as it just scales the existing (correct) positon of the text according to the new actor_scale value.

I believe that means the two types of scaling affect the OpenGL model view differently, but I could not easily understand why.

I've seen some little bugs about caps and bandanas/crowns.

When wearing a cap with my male dwarf, some of my hairs are passing though the cap:

capdwarfaf8.png

The bandanas/crowns don't fit exactly the head of dragoenis (male and female):

bandanadraegonicf2.png

crowndraegoniro8.png

Crowns also seem to not fitting exactly the head of gnomes and there's a little problem with crowns on female dwarves :happy::

crowngnomedwarfps0.png

I've tested a bandana on my dwarf and I didn't see any problem though...

I've also seen a bug with the titanium armor on a male orchan but I didn't take a shot :)

The problem was that there was a little space left between the torso and the cuisses.

I'll try to take a shot of it next time I see it... as weel as if I see any other problems.

EDIT: typo pointed out by cyprom: orc --> orchan :D

Edited by Schmurk

I assume you meant Male Orchan instead of Orc?

I've tested what you said, didn't see it myself. There's a tiny bit of space left indeed... Hard to see on the screenshot, but it's there. You see it very well when turning the camera.

maleorchantitaniumch1.jpg

From Schmurk's screenshot:

crowngnomedwarfps0.png

It appears that there is also a problem with the female dwarf's shoulders coming through the cape, like the male human, when sitting. There's a notch missing from the left shoulder area of the cape. Probably a notch missing on the right shoulder too.

It appears there is a problem with the actor_def file for gnome females.

My error log is spammed with this for all of the headgear (or close to it):

[23:07:14] Cal3d error: ./meshes/<headgear-type>_human.cmf: File not found
[23:07:14] Data Error in gnome female(37): Missing helmet.mesh

The human female actor_def links those to ./meshes/<headgear-type>_medium.cmf

What do you mean Schmurk? His ear sticking out? If that's the bug, it's not really a bug.

Any other bugs guys? :w00t:

What do you mean Schmurk? His ear sticking out? If that's the bug, it's not really a bug.
Well it pokes through the hat, which looks kinda weird.

Any other bugs guys? :)
I haven't been playing enough to check, but the new sound effects are coming along. :-D

No I mean that the hat seems too large for the head, isn't it? :)

I don't remember if I ever saw a fur hat on an orchan with the old models but if I remember correctly when I saw it on humans, the hat was fitting the head better.

My bad if it is intentional... :P

Anyway, I find it really funny so don't change anything :P

calimero.png

Actually ALL of the "hats" are much more fitting now than they were in the past. By quite a lot on some models :lurker: