Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnTheWarder

Attack and Defense

I came up with a new idea on how attack and defense exp should be awarded. It has its good points and bad points like everything else.

Step 1: Give less exp for successful hit/dodge then the current system.

Step 2: After killing what you are attacking you receive a relative exp bonus for killing.

I just thought that maybe this would be a better system. I think this would lessen PvP and promote pk, and it would also lessen dis/tele training.

I kinda like this idea oO

This would maybe motivate several players to gang up on strong monsters to recieve the extra

experience for killing it. Maybe that finally brings the teamwork into the monster fighting.

diss/tele training? ;) made it to my decent a/d without whatever that is..

imho it makes much more sense to give xp based on kill rather than hit/block. People keep p/c low becuz they get more xp this way, if its by each kill then people are not resetting only cuz their p/c is too high.

Also, pvp would no longer work a a way of getting ridiuclously easy xp unless you kill your partner :)

Edited by Atlantis

and weapons have a use again? ;)

mostly I like the idea, though I wonder how the bonus at the end will work for a/d... if you can kill a monster normally way out of your class using rings or magic or whatever, and get huge a/d bonuses from that...

Maybe put a condition, that killing blow must be close combat...

Anyway, I like the base of the idea, it would put more use to weapons, now 75% (the lower ones) of them are only for decoration, from what I have seen.

I kinda like this idea oO

This would maybe motivate several players to gang up on strong monsters to recieve the extra

experience for killing it. Maybe that finally brings the teamwork into the monster fighting.

In theory i like the idea ( its how most RPG's work ie: AD&D) and would as stated bring weapons back into play as players will be going for the quick kill.

For it to work though spawn numbers would have to be increased and spawn time quickened.

The issue of teaming up for the monster xp, not sure how hard that would be to programme ( game has to work out how many players were involved and would players who joined the combat late get the same xp as the ones who started it ? would the monster have a base xp rate say of 40k, does each player recieve 40k or is it split between how many ppl killed it ?

good idea but can see it being a pain to programme ( not a programmer so it might be easy )

EL a/d system is different from other games and I don't see that as problem. It works well even tho it cause issues like(mentioned above):

- you are too strong to train on monsters at your level to get acceptable exp/hour.

- weapons are quite useless to train on monsters

- we can pvp for great and cheap exp(and w/o any danger at guild map).

I doubt it gonna be changed, anyway it's far too late for that IMO.

Edited by Desertus

Well basically this proposed system would have to be a mixture of hit/dodge and kill exp methods because I don't know if you have ever played a kill exp game (ex. Maple Story) but it makes for alot of kill stealing, but then again our game doesn't have to many multi maps.

I didn't even want to guess at the proposed exp bonus for the kill because people won't like what I suggest and I don't want the thread dropped.

Edited by JohnTheWarder

In most pure fighting oriented games the xp is given after you kill the monster. But in most games there are zillions of monsters, not just a limited ammount of spawns. Changing the xp system will require to change pretty much everything else as well.

I came up with a new idea on how attack and defense exp should be awarded. It has its good points and bad points like everything else.

Step 1: Give less exp for successful hit/dodge then the current system.

Step 2: After killing what you are attacking you receive a relative exp bonus for killing.

I just thought that maybe this would be a better system. I think this would lessen PvP and promote pk, and it would also lessen dis/tele training.

I don't like this idea, training in EL is one of the best things, in other games you yu have exp for KILLS not for TRAINING, then you can buy there pr0 stuff, pr0 swords and go kill monsters, and you'll have high lvl in few months... Anyway in RL, you are better in something if you train not if you do it. And wtf is dis/tele training? o0

EL a/d system is different from other games and I don't see that as problem. It works well even tho it cause issues like(mentioned above):

- you are too strong to train on monsters at your level to get acceptable exp/hour.

- weapons are quite useless to train on monsters

- we can pvp for great and cheap exp(and w/o any danger at guild map).

I doubt it gonna be changed, anyway it's far too late for that IMO.

Agree.

Edited by brein

I agree on this, I find it a little weird that you get better xp for hitting less damage.. Most other MMORPGs I know you use the best weapon for training because you get attack xp per hit you inflict.

If this suggestion would go in though there would have to be alot more spawns, and lock the monsters into an area so they dont wander off so much.

Guest Lunatico

imo its good that EL's fighting training system is different from other mmorpg's.

The EL a/d exp system is perfectly fine, and lower end weapons can be very useful in training... if you setup your attributes right.

I dont think those who cant figure out how to setup their attributes for good a/d exp should be rewarded by changing the game to make it easier for them. Those who figured out how to get good exp working within the EL fighting system should be rewarded. And we are :(

Change the a/d exp system? no way.

If you think that there are complaints about how many advantages players who are rich in RL have right now just wait till this got implemented. People with money in RL would just start buying uber stuff and people would start selling uber characters just like they do in all of the other MMORPGs. Paying for your levels by getting equipment or characters you did nothing in game to get is the same as playing AFK IMO. PK guilds could take lower level players in uber armors with uber weapons and kill the dragon with them over and over massively cranking out the att/def for the players and start making cheap armies. This would massively suck.

It might be a cool idea to reduce att/def exp and give an O/A boost experience per kill that does not go to any skill because then you would be adding even more strategy to training and fighting. It would still get everyone in the game who fights monstrously irritated because you get a LOT more hits and dodges than you do kills when you are training. If this were used at all I would suggest it only for PK. That would reduce the effectiveness of pvp training and PKers would get more experience for killing each other and since they are all about killing the other guy as fast as possible this might actually help them.

Making it easier to PKers or fighters to get more experience faster than they already do is still an insanely bad idea since the game is so tremendously slanted in the direction of fighting. Why not use the programmers time to make EL even more different than all of the other games out there instead of just another carbon copy with no real flavor of its own?

TirunCollimdus

Ok I am fine if the system stays the same. But if i am going to continue to train a/d there is no reason for me to ever buy a weapon. By the way diss training? Its called like getting rich off other skill and then buy uber armor and essence and pots and fight monsters like twice as high as you. Then just dissing when the fighting gets too rough. Sure it burns money but it can be faster exp.

By the way diss training? Its called like getting rich off other skill and then buy uber armor and essence and pots and fight monsters like twice as high as you. Then just dissing when the fighting gets too rough. Sure it burns money but it can be faster exp.
Nobody uses this crakka, only you :P

Talk again if you get above 20 a/d :P

PK guilds could take lower level players in uber armors with uber weapons and kill the dragon with them over and over massively cranking out the att/def for the players and start making cheap armies. This would massively suck.

er.. I don't think I could kill a dragon no matter what they put me in... and I think the same goes for most players under 100/100, I get the point, but I don't think dragons are endangered by this... (they have 3k hps, they don't die that fast :blink: )

Anyway on the basic idea I dislike it, just because other MMORPGs use this system why should we? The current system works fine, and I highly doubt that Entropy will make such a drastic change.

Anyway in RL, you are better in something if you train not if you do it.

er.. please lets not bring realism into this... in RL ducks do not kill ogres by the hundred :( And in RL it is all PvP anyway... and later PK...

Ok I am fine if the system stays the same. But if i am going to continue to train a/d there is no reason for me to ever buy a weapon. By the way diss training? Its called like getting rich off other skill and then buy uber armor and essence and pots and fight monsters like twice as high as you. Then just dissing when the fighting gets too rough. Sure it burns money but it can be faster exp.

John, after u will finish with newbie/low lvl monsters and begin to train on mountain chims and yetis i asure u, that u will use weapons, and im not taking about iron sword, u will use cutlass like 99% players who began to train on yetis :blink:

eMPi

John, after u will finish with newbie/low lvl monsters and begin to train on mountain chims and yetis i asure u, that u will use weapons, and im not taking about iron sword, u will use cutlass like 99% players who began to train on yetis :)

eMPi

I agree with masterpiter.When i was late 80's i was getting more exp from fluffies with tit long that cyclops barehand.Also in several monsters if your p/c is very low using a small iron sword will give u better exp.

If u want to remain perkless you will have to use a weapon sooner or later.

A usefull tip is to take a look in your counters and see the exp u get per hour.

By the way diss training? Its called like getting rich off other skill and then buy uber armor and essence and pots and fight monsters like twice as high as you. Then just dissing when the fighting gets too rough. Sure it burns money but it can be faster exp.
Nobody uses this crakka, only you :)

Talk again if you get above 20 a/d :P

I actually I don't train like that, I read it on the forums once and I was like I guess thats how all the pr0s do it. :D

To comment Masterpiter and agis; when you get to a level when you need a sword, do you have to spend more gc on the opponent that you fight against with a sword? Because if yes, isn't that just because old monsters are getting boring? Or is the gc - exp ratio worth it?

Edited by JohnTheWarder

lol dude, you been around a year and still don't know about profits from yetis, slow learner i guess ;o

if u have levels for yetis and good p/c you can make usually 15-20k per hour with sword, not making great xp but you get decent (to kill a yeti barehanded it takes a really ridiculously long time)

also, most swords give +accuracy and +def, so thats the other reason to use them

Good point Atlantis, now that I have thought about it a bit, currently I am not very happy with the XP per hour I am earning. Attack and defense are @30 each but the XP is getting real slow at this point. I am a newbie player but thiking that once your A/D is around 25, that it is better to use a weapon. This may kill critters a little faster but overall XP rate I think will go up.

Edited by appel