Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ayreus

Not something profoundly new... but lets discuss guild joining requirements

I would like to open (i guess reopen) a debate on the current requirements for joining guilds. As you know, a skill of level 20 is currently required before one can join a guild. The recent talk of having guilds more involved with new players, ie filling orders etc, in the form of apprentices got me thinking about this again.

First of all, has the requirement always been a level of 20 or higher? A little history on this would be appreciated. Ultimately I'd like to see it lowered to somewhere between 15 to 20, but this would be pointless to suggest if this has already been tried.

Last night, while mining sulfur I noticed several guilds guiding their new guild recruits, showing them where the sulfur is, the iron, silver etc and of course giving them tips such as to be sure to bring flowers with you... I experienced this too the first time I joined a guild, I received vital tips, and quickly learned more about what the game has to offer. For example, votd does not have the only wolf spawn...

I think if players experienced this earlier on they may get a greater appreciation of this game, as a newb it takes sometime to learn the ins and outs, especially if you are alone in doing so.

I realize there are numerous valid arguments for not reducing the requirements, with which I also agree... but... who knows... maybe some changes to the requirements would get new players more involved and increase the chances that they'd play longer than a week. There seems to be a lot of newbie turnover with this game.

Perhaps a solution could be just the apprentice program... or a sort of grooming of newbs to join a guild... I don't know, I don't feel too strongly about a change to the requirements, I would just like to see this debate opened...

For a newb it takes quite awhile to get a skill of 20, you hardly even understand how the skills work :P, what does everyone think? Again... I'm kinda on the fence on this, just want to see what everyone else thinks.

Edited by Ayreus

level 20 takes no time to get, and gives new players something to aim for.

people get involved in the game, looks how much it's grown. That alone is testament to the fact that it works.

Thank you for the links, I've read the apprentice one already, I'll have a look at the others. Sorry if this thread doesn't present anything new, feel free to lock it if that is the case.

Otherwise,

Typically which skill will you be able to get to level 20 first? Harvesting right? How many ingame hours would it take on average to get harvesting to level 20 for a new player?

I've gotten to lvl 20 in a day before. I'd guess that if a newbie worked hard at harvesting, (all veggies or something), it would take 3 days.

I've gotten to lvl 20 in a day before. I'd guess that if a newbie worked hard at harvesting, (all veggies or something), it would take 3 days.

Was that an alt you made though? I doubt a new player could get to level 20 in 3 days.

Harvest vegetables, ignore dying.. put all your PPs in will at the start and as you get them.. rank 20 takes no time at all, then just #reset :P

Show me a newb who doesn't know the game and puts all PP to will just to get harv lvl and then #reset. o.O

i went to a guild after like 3-4 days, and no i wasn't online 24/7. I didnt know sh*t about the game and i was totally surprised about everything, but it rocked

it should be higher (2 lvl 20s, or 1 lvl 30), if you ask me

First of all, has the requirement always been a level of 20 or higher? A little history on this would be appreciated.

Yes

For a newb it takes quite awhile to get a skill of 20, you hardly even understand how the skills work ;), what does everyone think? Again... I'm kinda on the fence on this, just want to see what everyone else thinks.

Getting a character to level 20 goes as fast as you like. If you are brand new it may take a little while, but that is not a bad thing as it allows you to adjust to the game "in peace"

I don't think that the level requirements are intended as a restriction to experienced players, but as a measure of having spent some time playing the game.

New players should have had some time to explore and learn the game before they join a guild. For them, level 20 is not trivial, but also not too disheartening (since being in a guild should improve your playing experience).

For experienced players with new characters, it really doesn't matter. They should already know what they want out of the game.

And don't forget, many guilds - mine included - put the join requirements higher then one skill at 20. As was stated, it is not very hard to get a 20.... but finding a guild to take you in with only one skill at 20 is another story.

So yeah, the minimum of 20 is more than sufficient I think.. if anything, I would like to see the requirements for *creating* guilds much higher then it is now.

Was that an alt you made though? I doubt a new player could get to level 20 in 3 days.

Of course it was an alt ;)

I said "if they worked hard at something," as in if someone told them it was a good way to do it, and if they were just *dying* to join a guild. Why is it so bad to get to know the game before you join a guild?

If anything the guild requirement should be raised to 1 skill lvl 30 (or 3 skill lvl 20). OA should be excluded as a skill to join guilds. There are plenty of other skills out there. Harv for new players is usually less than 2 or 3 lvl's below their OA anyway.

As I think about it ... 3 skills at 20 (not OA) would be my prefered suggestion.

This would let new players truly experience the game and get a much better grasp on the fundamentals before they got signed up as a harvest slave by some of the less friendly guilds out there. And, before you complain ... they could be coached by any guild as an indie newbie until they reached joining level ... they would know their guild much better by the time they were able to fully join up.