Eternal Lands Official Forums
shallara

New NPC

I'd advise everyone to stop donating for the moment. It seems that the upsets of the server today have wiped a number of donations, lets not lose any more of our hard work. Check the numbers on the NPC, but as far as I can tell, at least 10kgc, 30k sulfur and 21 hydro bars are missing.

I'd advise everyone to stop donating for the moment. It seems that the upsets of the server today have wiped a number of donations, lets not lose any more of our hard work. Check the numbers on the NPC, but as far as I can tell, at least 10kgc, 30k sulfur and 21 hydro bars are missing.

We only had an unexpected shut down, due to a power cable being accidentally unpluged (due to the routers replacements and new server setup). Now everything should be OK, and nothing was lost (unless players logged out right after donating).

We only had an unexpected shut down, due to a power cable being accidentally unpluged (due to the routers replacements and new server setup). Now everything should be OK, and nothing was lost (unless players logged out right after donating).

Actually, at least 5 bars had been lost by me, including the swords that I used to make them, because I got logged out by a crash that saved me, which did affect other people (I was messaged over Yahoo from someone who'd also been crashed), and then the server being unplugged... there were also 6 bars from Shallara and 10 from Kylara - basically, anything donated from when we were able to log back on from the crash yesterday morning (I'm on Eastern US, so I'm figuring by my time) to the time of the power cable being pulled was lost from the NPC, and if the connection loss I had before the server was unplugged was as widespread as I've been lead to believe, then all that Terena said was lost from the NPC was also lost from the players too.

Personally, if it were a gc donation or a sulfur donation, I would just mine more and redonate, and chalk it up to bugs happening. But, being as I donated Hydrogenium Bars, those are a bit painstaking to make and harvest, since you need such severe amounts of ingredients to get one bar made. And by severe, I'm talking from scratch - sure, if you can afford to buy the bars from someone else, or get people to work with you, it's easier, but if you work alone, it's a lot of work.

and we r gratefull for that fact, ill be donating at least one bar today, it depends on how many S2E's i can scrounge up. BTW my frst bar donated today will be mined from Larry's S2E's he just gave me.

As of 4:30 US central time on the 20th of September

We now have a Total of:

1022520 GC

393039 Sulpher

and 194 Hydro bars

Good job guys!

Here is what we Need:

6977480 GC

606961 Sulpher

306 Hydro bars

,Knight

The biggest thing that would help speed up getting the Hydro bars we need is help gathering the coal and iron ore for the steel iron bar makers like myself.

It takes about 1400 iron ore, 900 coal and 500 fes (taking failures into account) to make 10 s2e swords that harvest enough ore for 1 hydro bar.

I can easily spend about 4 hours gathering up all the ingredients I listed and make the 160 steel and 40 iron bars to pass onto a swordmaker. I don't mind spending the time needed to make bars, but it's getting to be a bit much spending that much time harvesting. Any help would be greatly appreciated by all working on this project.

Edit: math

Edited by larrystorch

I think that everybody is agree that the most needed ingreds for hydro bars are steel bars and of course FEs, coal and iron. But there's no sense of harvesting iron like a fool to make the bars after. The best way to do it is making the bars directly in the cave.

As manuers, a friend and I are spending a lot of time in SRM cave to make bars and all I can say is that if you already have the FEs and if you work in team (1 who harvest the iron and make the bars and another one who harvest the coal and bring the FEs and food), you can make enough bars for 20 s2e in about one hour, so 2 hydro bars. Now if you take two or three more ppl who make the FEs at the same time, it's really fast.

So the key word here is team work!

With this method, our guild made a really nice donation some days ago and I hope that everybody who care about GIWS will do the same...

Well, look at the good side, I donated 91 bars yesterday, so that more thaan covers the losses

Though that is a very good side, i'm still wondering. Does this matching include the 21 bars that are missing? If not that would mean there should be 42 more bars donated with the NPC, 8% from what is needed.

Secondly, i have worked very hard for those bars, knowing that my donation is gone, frustrates me deeply. They aren't in my inv. so that means they are simply gone. Knowing that i can loose my stuff in this way without any benefits, makes me wonder if i should donate anything in the future.

I appreciate the donation you made. I hope you understand I'm not trying to bitch here, merely trying to make you see a players perspective.

Regards,

Well, look at the good side, I donated 91 bars yesterday, so that more thaan covers the losses :D

As Kylara said, the 91 bars you donated was quite nice, and I thank you for that.

BUT, also as she said, that's 42 bars missing - 21 for what we donated, at our own losses, and 21 that you said you would donate for EVERY bar donated. If there is a bug in the system that has now shortchanged the entire community (not just the 3 of us who donated and lost these (well, 2 of us, I haven't heard if Shallara had the same result), at the very least, let us know that it WILL be fixed, or we can't rely on this system at all.

If you show that players' donations to a "good cause" can be wiped out and mean nothing, then you are going to make people less apt to donate. And, no, I'm not trying to bitch and moan; just hope you can see things my way. Were I you, I'd be incredibly pissed off if there was a bug in my game like this, but that's mostly because I'm a perfectionist.

Well, look at the good side, I donated 91 bars yesterday, so that more thaan covers the losses :P

As Kylara said, the 91 bars you donated was quite nice, and I thank you for that.

BUT, also as she said, that's 42 bars missing - 21 for what we donated, at our own losses, and 21 that you said you would donate for EVERY bar donated. If there is a bug in the system that has now shortchanged the entire community (not just the 3 of us who donated and lost these (well, 2 of us, I haven't heard if Shallara had the same result), at the very least, let us know that it WILL be fixed, or we can't rely on this system at all.

If you show that players' donations to a "good cause" can be wiped out and mean nothing, then you are going to make people less apt to donate. And, no, I'm not trying to bitch and moan; just hope you can see things my way. Were I you, I'd be incredibly pissed off if there was a bug in my game like this, but that's mostly because I'm a perfectionist.

Amen sleep.gif

The reason I did not donate for the 'missing' bars is because I don't have some hard evidence there are missing bars. The data for the bot is saved every 10 minutes, so unless the server went down within less than 10 minutes after donating, and you logged out at that time, then no bars were lost.

I don't even know how you determined that some bars were lost.

if there were say 100 bars when they donated 5, and then the whole server going down thing happened like it did. they could see when they got back on that there were still only 100 hydro bars at the NPC and see that they nolonger have the 5 bars that they donated in their storage.

hope that makes sence to you, b/c it does to me.

I was speaking with Atahn when he donated, and he gave me the numbers at the time (there were 2 donations of 5k sulfur very shortly after which I also added on). The server went down not long after this. Someone mentioned to me afterwards that there weren't as many hydro bars as there should have been, so I went to check the numbers myself. The figures I posted are a rough estimate of what was missing, but could be more since small donations don't give the blue message.

Excerpts from my chat log:

[17:57:08] GIWS: Kylara has kindly donated 10 hydrogenium bars for the project construction!

[19:24:41] GIWS: Shallara has kindly donated 6 hydrogenium bars for the project construction!

[19:29:57] GIWS: Atahn has kindly donated 5 hydrogenium bars for the project construction!

[19:31:35] GIWS: Shallara has kindly donated 5000 sulphur for the project construction!

[19:36:28] [Atahn @ --]: we have 985206/8Mgc, 321819/1M sulfur, and 46/500 H bars.

[19:37:14] GIWS: killashandra has kindly donated 5000 sulphur for the project construction!

[19:41:54] Disconnected from server!

A few server upsets later...

[20:28:24] [PM to Atahn: 974996gc, 303994 sulfur, and 25 hydro bars :/]

Cut out all the chat except for the most pertinent bits. As you can see from the times, Atahn's donation was approximately 10 minutes before the server went down, so its quite likely his got lost. But it seems like Kylara's and Shallara's also went missing, as it was exactly 21 bars that disappeared. (Kylara -10, Shallara-6, Atahn-5).

Edit: Actually, scroll up a few posts and you can see the previous totals in shallara's post too. I suppose you'll just have to take my word as to what the totals were after the server went down. But I checked them personally myself.

Edited by Terena

I'm willing to attest I saw the same results, Entropy - how did I figure that it was exactly 21 bars missing? After I donated my bars, I declared on channel the totals of what was on the NPC, trying to inspire further donations from my friends. There were 46 bars on the NPC, as I said in channel.

Then, within half an hour (but outside of 10 minutes, if Terena's chat log is proof - I'm willing to post my own log for the relevant time if need be, to support her account), the server crashed - first, there was a massive disconnect, which seemed to save everybody who was disconnected. Then, another crash, which reset the NPC. Afterward, Terena looked at the NPC - 25 bars.

From there, we have simple math - 46 - 25 = 21. Unless you can tell me that there are bar donations too small to mention (which is possible, AFAIK), then I only need look back in my logs, and see who donated what. So I scroll up and find my donation - 5 bars. 16 left to account for. Scrolling up, I see Shallara's donation - 6 bars. 10 left to account for. Scrolling up even more, I see Kylara's donation - 10 bars.

That's 21 bars that have ceased to exist, plus the promised 21 to match that, and the community (not the donators, as we already agreed to lose what we had to help the community) has now lost 42 bars...

At the very least, Entropy, your NPC is NOT saving every 10 minutes, I don't think - the evidence is not matching to the story. Unless you want to call me, Terena, or Kylara liars...

Oh my God, I hadn' even connected the server going down that day with that. And yes the bars and sulfur are gone. Thats why I never even suspected.

Man, and those were ones I worked my butt off from scratch for :P

ok, if someone pms me when im on, ill help make steel bars for the s2es

ill probably donate some sulfer and or gc too, in my spare time

also i will encourage my guildies to donate what they can to help the EL community

oh and great speach shallara, i think i heard the national anthem being played, it was that inspiring:P

Vang

Oh, yes, you guys are right, that data is not periodically saved :/

Well, I will donate 21 bars, but not match that, because it is possible some people might still have the bars after the crash (due to their char not being saved).

Oh, yes, you guys are right, that data is not periodically saved :/

Well, I will donate 21 bars, but not match that, because it is possible some people might still have the bars after the crash (due to their char not being saved).

Ok, I will accept that - though I do know in my case that the bars I donated, as well as everything I put into making them (except for the experience earned) was lost, at the very least, my contribution will matter now.