Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

The rollback

I don't quite understand it ... I logged off before that crazy day started but still ... I see that I am where I started playing yesterday :/ Looks like saving doesn't help at all :evilgrin:

I think saving helps only to server crashes when it loses the recent data. This rollback was made from the last backup AFAIK.

I will miss you, my shiny modable titanium serpent sword "sniffs"

I am convinced this was the right thing to do.. not even mad i missed the scholars day, after all it is random so i could have missed it anyway.

Can't wait to have a manufacture day for real! :evilgrin:

There will be another extra exp day tomorrow, to satisfy the European players.

And maybe some contests if you are nice.

when is the second exp day?

or is it over already?

I don't quite understand it ... I logged off before that crazy day started but still ... I see that I am where I started playing yesterday :/ Looks like saving doesn't help at all :)

Other than actually understanding it, I think I'm in about the same place... yesterday, about 2p Eastern US time (14:00 for you 24 hour timers :P), I logged off - stuff to do IRL. Came back about 7:30 (19:30p), and my nice magic level I'd earned about a couple hours before logging off was gone... and I didn't get to join that free for all... I saw this thread, and logged on real quick, and got about a couple hours of boosted exp time (Scholar's Day). Not exactly happy to log off and come back and find myself back 25K from the level I was about 20K past, but it happens. I know a better way to get the exp back. :P

Here is what really happened:

We all were blessed by teh god by having a vision to see the future. Now we have woken up and we can either follow the same paths of that vision or we can choose a new path. The choice is yours to make so enjoy it.

:)

Excellent explanation. I knew it was a dream and a glimpse of the future.

We all were blessed by teh god by having a vision to see the future. Now we have woken up and we can either follow the same paths of that vision or we can choose a new path. The choice is yours to make so enjoy it.

:)

Y'know, that'd be really subjective... I mean, what are dreams? And are we all sleeping, dreaming that we're awake, or awake, dreaming that we're sleeping?

Or maybe we're the dream of one man, still snoring, unknowing of the danger, and the loss of our world if he wakes up... oh, crap, he's waking up.

I see a lot of complaints about 'what was lost'but think of what was gained, folks:

The market was saved; I guess nobody was waiting for the fact that efes would be sellable for 500 gc in the future? Not to mention any other enriched essences or items.

A second thing I hear 'there has been more rolbacks and crashes then there were in 2 years'

Well, that might be so..but didnt we get more updates then we did in the last 2 years too? And..since this is STILL a BETA version of EL..updates come with bugs and other failures, no matter how hard its tested.

A little consideration would be nice, to all who work their butts of to make this a better World..

And yes..I DID loose exp en items too..and yes..I did swear at the rollback..but I understand and move on..

See it this way: we have the chance to build a World of our own..we are all testers..we are all builders..and sometimes things dont work out as we planned..yes..I say WE..coz without US..this World wouldnt excist..:)

*hugs*

Jez

:P

Yeh... a dream that showed us what will happen if we get too greedy lol :) :smartass: :P

Maxim Ironfist

Because of the rollback I lost the ability to take this game seriously! :P

I am actually glad I have to give up those 25 EWEs, because I am sure someone else made a LOT more than me. :)

I love this game and think that Ent et. al. are doing a great job. Now I need to go make some real $$ to help support the development of it...

Edited by Drakos7

I will find out how much i lost in about 2 hours, but it cant be worse than having the market all screwed up.

Anyway, it's all peanuts compared to the Big Bang (almost 2 years ago now?) Be glad they make regular backups now :)

Rollbacks suck. Crashes suck. We all hate them because we lose xp or items or whatever. Blah blah blah.

1 - This is BETA. It's been repeated ad nasuem in this thread, throughout these forums even on the main website. BETA means it isn't a finished product. There are going to be those bugs that need be fixed, those new features that means power levelers may have to slow down and *gasp* times when the only solution is to roll back to fix major errors.

2 - All of you who complain, you wouldn't have lasted long with how things were done even 6 months ago. If they had to roll back, it was done and we lived with it. Yes, there were some *sighs*, some lamenting work done, but our only choice was to live with it.

In this case, Entropy scheduled a Scholars Day. Hello, BONUS XP! So now you can re-earn not only what you lost, but even more. He actually gave you a chance to jump ahead and you can only cry about what you lost. If I were all of you, I'd be thanking him for doing anything since most games out there don't in these situations.

I lost close to 200k exps, the bulk of it in the harvest area. Yes, I was working hard on that as ~7200 is the most I can get per hour. Did it bug me? Yep. Will I survive? You bet. As others have noted, EL is in beta.

One way to avoid rollbacks is to have no updates. Personally I'd rather deal with the occasional rollback then EL being forever stagnant.

Edited by Ruln

I will find out how much i lost in about 2 hours, but it cant be worse than having the market all screwed up.

Anyway, it's all peanuts compared to the Big Bang (almost 2 years ago now?) Be glad they make regular backups now :)

hmm, ok 500k exp gone. A little more than i expected, but made it back by now.

2 - All of you who complain, you wouldn't have lasted long with how things were done even 6 months ago. If they had to roll back, it was done and we lived with it.

lol, i dont know where you where 6 months ago, but as far as i remember everyone bitched about anything then too :)

2 - All of you who complain, you wouldn't have lasted long with how things were done even 6 months ago. If they had to roll back, it was done and we lived with it.

lol, i dont know where you where 6 months ago, but as far as i remember everyone bitched about anything then too :)

o.O? Next time quote the full paragraph where I mention that we weren't happy with it.

at first i was rather mad about losing all of the progress i had made :) , but now i see this rollback as a challenge to get back to where i was as quickly as i can:P

i even missed extra exp day, but that would take all the funn of long hours alching away (jk) :)

On the bright side( i did not play that day) some people must be really happy. Some people might have been scammed or lost their db and must be thinking "Yahoo!" Only that people who post are the ones who complain.

On the bright side( i did not play that day) some people must be really happy. Some people might have been scammed or lost their db and must be thinking "Yahoo!" Only that people who post are the ones who complain.

I logged on, was totally unimpressed that everything that I had worked on in the last day was gone, worried about what had happened, found out from my guildmates about the rollback, said, "oh, bugger" and got on with playing the game.

What I lost, in reality, was around 12 hours of my time. No big deal, really, since I didn't have anything else productive to do with my time that day. Shit happens, systems crash, systems get bugs... my mother's hard drive died, taking all of her data with it before it had been backed up... things like that happen in computing.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that I don't want to complain about the rollback, because these things happen. See, not only the people who are complaining post. I must admit, however, that most people do post to complain. :)

:medieval:

Keira

2 - All of you who complain, you wouldn't have lasted long with how things were done even 6 months ago. If they had to roll back, it was done and we lived with it. Yes, there were some *sighs*, some lamenting work done, but our only choice was to live with it.

In this case, Entropy scheduled a Scholars Day. Hello, BONUS XP! So now you can re-earn not only what you lost, but even more. He actually gave you a chance to jump ahead and you can only cry about what you lost. If I were all of you, I'd be thanking him for doing anything since most games out there don't in these situations.

I remember the old sentiments too - "NOOOOO! j00 ruin3d my gam3!!!!!!!!111111111oneoneoneone" (yeah, I know my 1337 sUx0rZ :medieval:) Except for the few who moved on without much more than a sigh for their lost effort, the common reaction was VERY negative...

I don't see such anger and "bitching", except for a few exceptions, the general reaction I've seen has seemed to range from positive to resigned in this case. I half-wonder if Entropy gave us the bonus exp days as a "don't bitch" incentive...

I remember the old sentiments too - "NOOOOO! j00 ruin3d my gam3!!!!!!!!111111111oneoneoneone" (yeah, I know my 1337 sUx0rZ :medieval:) Except for the few who moved on without much more than a sigh for their lost effort, the common reaction was VERY negative...

I don't see such anger and "bitching", except for a few exceptions, the general reaction I've seen has seemed to range from positive to resigned in this case. I half-wonder if Entropy gave us the bonus exp days as a "don't bitch" incentive...

There is no need or point in bitching about this rollback. Everyone in his/her right mind understands that the influx of rare items was too great, thus triggering some measures. In this case the only feasible measure was a rollback.

The random day feature, was on the test server for quite a bit, but it seems that most people were too lazy or uninterested to go there and test/try this feature. So when a faulty mechanism hit the "real" world of Draia, it was inevitable that something had to be done. In general it was better to erase one day of gameplay, than allow over 6000 rare items to find its way into the game.

So accept either the roleplaying aspect that it was a glimpse of an alternative future or accept the english (real life) version that it was a bug that had to be corrected.

Edited by Derin

There is no need or point in bitching about this rollback. Everyone in his/her right mind understands that the influx of rare items was too great, thus triggering some measures. In this case the only feasible measure was a rollback.

The random day feature, was on the test server for quite a bit, but it seems that most people were too lazy or uninterested to go there and test/try this feature. So when a faulty mechanism hit the "real" world of Draia, it was inevitable that something had to be done. In general it was better to erase one day of gameplay, than allow over 6000 rare items to find its way into the game.

So accept either the roleplaying aspect that it was a glimpse of an alternative future or accept the english (real life) version that it was a bug that had to be corrected.

That''s exactly what I was saying - it looks like most people already have done that - and I'm not that worried about it either.

too bad the rollback took place where i decided to make 2.5million xp this day, coz i havent done any mentionable XP for about 2 month. now its at least 1 million xp away again...

and its getting even better, first i did nothing but fighting: means just fighting, no buying/selling or making items.

second, i didnt do alot training lately coz i was very pissed off a big xp-loss due to some server-crash-rollback 2 month ago.

now doing that oa-lvl for the 3rd time will kill me with boreness........

well lets hope to see ya in 2 month agian... :/