Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smalul

Server crashes

I've just lost at least 5 hours gaming because of this recent crash, and this is not the first time it happens. I know this game is still in a beta stage, but it is still very depressing to see so much work and time, REAL TIME, go to waste. If there is something bad to say about this game, something which could drive people out of playing it, this crashes issue would be it.

It seems very stupid to me that only when you log out your work is saved. I think there should be some kind of an auto-save, which would save the player's status every 30 or 60 minutes. I also think there should be a manual command to save the status of the character, one which won't end the game (the developers could just create such a command, and then add a script to the client, which would run that command every X minutes).

I don't know if such suggestions were made before, but I hope mine would help made this game better.

If you can't take a minute out of your "5 hours of gaming", thats pretty sad. Thats all it takes to save the game, 1 minute.

Don't complain, these dont happen as often as they could.

That is strange, I always assumed people were playing the game to have fun, not as some sort of job where they work.

In this context, I lost so much work on DotA games since the world is not persistent.

I don't know if such suggestions were made before, but I hope mine would help made this game better.

of course they have. every crash, and some other times as well. see the 'search' link up top? handy

iffn you want better server performance, send in the cash to buy better hardare and/or hire a full-time professional server coder :)

Thats all it takes to save the game, 1 minute.
remembering is the hard part :)

That is strange, I always assumed people were playing the game to have fun, not as some sort of job where they work.

really? :D how odd...

^_^

Edited by ttlanhil

There is however a MAJOR bug that is seen when crashes happen. Say for example that I buy 255 iron bars, 255 steel bars, and 10 efe from my bot charn. Then a few hours later, i log (and he does not). Then the server crashes...

LUCKY ME, my bot has all the items in stock again and so do I. I have therefore just doubled my items and my profits. It happens almost every time the server crashes.

People can do the same.. trading with each other. They can give ALL their items to someone else, and have that person log out. Then if the server crashes (or they know how to make it crash) they get all their items back and the other person has them too. Seems to me that in an MMO this is a MAJOR bug you would want to fix.

- Wizz

There is however a MAJOR bug that is seen when crashes happen. Say for example that I buy 255 iron bars, 255 steel bars, and 10 efe from my bot charn. Then a few hours later, i log (and he does not). Then the server crashes...

LUCKY ME, my bot has all the items in stock again and so do I. I have therefore just doubled my items and my profits. It happens almost every time the server crashes.

People can do the same.. trading with each other. They can give ALL their items to someone else, and have that person log out. Then if the server crashes (or they know how to make it crash) they get all their items back and the other person has them too. Seems to me that in an MMO this is a MAJOR bug you would want to fix.

- Wizz

I was wondering exactly about this issue after the previous crash, when someone said to have lost a magic sword. The person traded the sword and logged off, while the recipient of the sword didn't. So it disappeared. Then I was wondering what would it be if it was the opposite, i.e.: the recipient saves but the donator doesn't. And now you have confirmed my thoughts.

- Wizz

Its called item duping, and its the reason why you usually get rollbacks after a crash...

How many times does it have to be said? Save, and save often! Stop creating these threads everytime it happends, because in all honestly, they have more chance of being locked/deleted.

You sure about only losing 5 hours?

Yesterday evening the "players online " page on EL.com had in the botton of the page the date 6 November 2005 as the record (most visitors online).

After the rollback it went back to 30 May 2005.

So we lost at least 2 days, right ?

You sure about only losing 5 hours?

Yesterday evening the "players online " page on EL.com had in the botton of the page the date 6 November 2005 as the record (most visitors online).

After the rollback it went back to 30 May 2005.

So we lost at least 2 days, right ?

The rollback is since you log off last time.

So if you didn't log off in 2 centuries, then you are going to lose 2k years of work :)

The players online record thing is unfortunate though...

Anyway, the previous crash and this crash were good, in a way, because we detected and fixed both issues, so, ironically, the server is more stable with every crash that happens.

Edited by Entropy

Is it that hard 4 ppl 2 log out and log in again every now and then 2 save the progress they've made?

If u've done something big like 5k HEs bought a full iron set or something similar just log out and in again and u'll keep the stuff if something happens with the server.

Is it that hard 4 ppl 2 log out and log in again every now and then 2 save the progress they've made?

If u've done something big like 5k HEs bought a full iron set or something similar just log out and in again and u'll keep the stuff if something happens with the server.

Apparently it is too hard for some..I mean come on..we play this game for free.Like Ent said, WoW servers crashed alot more than ours do..If you work so hard to level your character then take 60 flippin seconds to log out, or donate LOTS of money and/or manpower to Ent for new servers/more coding...If not, then sit down shut up and hold on...it's gonna be a bumpy ride

So if you didn't log off in 2 centuries, then you are going to lose 2k years of work :)

Personally, I'd like to meet anyone that talented to have stayed logged on for 200 years... or 2,000. (Now yer gonna tell me Jesus Christ was once a player? makes sense, we've had Satan before...) That would have to take talent to have been logged on that long - for one thing, they'd be pretty old, and playing the game while neither game server, client, internet, or even the proper home computer system to handle the client existed...

Back on the note of server crashes - #exit, or #quit, or Alt+X, or Ctrl+Q... is it that hard? I just have to say this - if you don't log off every now and then, you stand a chance of losing progress. If you lose your experience, items, whatnot - it's your problem, since this subject has been covered extensively. If you are so unfortunate, then you at least have a better idea of how to get those levels back.

Just a thought - maybe something on the server could be set up to record a list of people who complain about server crashes, and have it automatically kick them from the game sometime around :59 of each game hour. If done right, they never have to worry about game crashes again - or harvesting experience. :)

Edited by Arnieman

So if you didn't log off in 2 centuries, then you are going to lose 2k years of work :D

Personally, I'd like to meet anyone that talented to have stayed logged on for 200 years... or 2,000. (Now yer gonna tell me Jesus Christ was once a player? makes sense, we've had Satan before...) That would have to take talent to have been logged on that long - for one thing, they'd be pretty old, and playing the game while neither game server, client, internet, or even the proper home computer system to handle the client existed...

Back on the note of server crashes - #exit, or #quit, or Alt+X, or Ctrl+Q... is it that hard? I just have to say this - if you don't log off every now and then, you stand a chance of losing progress. If you lose your experience, items, whatnot - it's your problem, since this subject has been covered extensively. If you are so unfortunate, then you at least have a better idea of how to get those levels back.

Just a thought - maybe something on the server could be set up to record a list of people who complain about server crashes, and have it automatically kick them from the game sometime around :59 of each game hour. If done right, they never have to worry about game crashes again - or harvesting experience. :)

Time aint the best, if they logged in just a little bit _TOO_ slowly they would miss the hour, maybe at like :05 or something.

OR maybe every hour or so, the server would lag for 30 seconds and everyone would be saved w/o logging out.

Because as Wizz and others were saying, this is easy for items dooping.

Ex: lets say I have 2 computers and i barely use one at all. I could slightly illegally trade those items onto an alt char. Then save the alt, give the items back, and don't save him again. Leave the alt on until there is a server crash, which is about once every 2 weeks around now, and then you could have duplicated all your best items. Do this a couple times, and your increasing your money/gc/items by exponotial factors which grows pretty large after 3-4 crashes. So there needs to be automatic saving, not like you have a choice or not.

for the frequency of server crashes, you're gambling on an illegal activity not being caught AND a rare event, in that case.

Yes, there's the chance of item duplication - but would you want to trade several levels you could (or had) earn just to duplicate a few items? Besides, if you are caught doing illegal means for this, it's not like a couple items will mean anything.

for the frequency of server crashes, you're gambling on an illegal activity not being caught AND a rare event, in that case.

Yes, there's the chance of item duplication - but would you want to trade several levels you could (or had) earn just to duplicate a few items? Besides, if you are caught doing illegal means for this, it's not like a couple items will mean anything.

Well, if you have a close friend who say, doesn't play anymore, he could log on you give items and repeat the process (Guys, I'm not trying to become some unfair cheater person, I'm just prooving a point)

However, is this considered bug exploitation?

Well, if you have a close friend who say, doesn't play anymore, he could log on you give items and repeat the process (Guys, I'm not trying to become some unfair cheater person, I'm just prooving a point)

However, is this considered bug exploitation?

Yes, it can be considered exploiting, And there have been presidence set in the past were chars have been deleteed and bans put in place.

You could use your ingame time in much more entertaining and effiecient ways rather than waiting for the server to crash, which is a pretty rare event anyway. And keep in mind that, with each crash, the chance for the server to crash again is dramatically decreased, as we detect and fix the server crashing bugs.

Is just a question... is to hard to implement the #save comand that had the old TC vercion? Or when the update was done the code is so dif that couldnt work....