Eternal Lands Official Forums
scarr

Isla Prima Newb suggestions

Evryday there are tons of newbs that ask to be healed, then you say they need to eat or drink potions ..its realy stupid to tell a newbie to wait 20 minutes to heal at full health, they wil exit the game for sure

newbs cant harvest food

newbs dont know how to make healing potions and they even cant without vials/the needed level , so i think it would be nice to put some healing fountain on isla prima, maby near the rabbit spawn it wil give maby 3-4 HP per minute, also it need a level ristrict, maby you can use it till you have 2 skills in 10

this wil also bring more roleplay in the game i think, cuz the newbs wil chat to eachother whiel waiting to be healed :blush:

or add a NPC on isla prima who trade vials for items like beaver fur/rat tails/deer fur (?) so the newbs can make there potions easyer ..and let the wraith or turotial NPC say that they need to visit mrs lorpak to learn how to make potions

What do you think ?

I like this idea.

Sure it will give newbies easier start, but... it's very very easy and not much time to get 2 levels at 10.

This is not instant healing, but more like fast regeneration fountain. Other good idea is the NPC selling stuff to newbs (same level limits probably). It could sell them vials and maybe wine, but not for gc, but for rabbit furs and raw meat. It could also give short tutorial about cooking, making healing potions.

And with easier start for newbies, they will stay with us longer, and posts like ones somewhere in general chat: 'fuk, teh wabbit ate me - it suckz0rs' will probably disappear.

and tihnk of the newb that sit in the fountian, its like a second beam

newbies wil talk to eachother and help eachother

but ofcourse u got to call it the shivar fountain :P j/k

Edited by Shivar

Or make the NPC - Granny Shivar :P

There is newbie island coming, afaik, this ideas could be implemented there if not on IP.

I like the idea of the fountain, maybe it could be made in a house or something with guards (npcs) that check which lvl you are and let you enter or not.

The NPC can sell them vials until they are less than OA 20 and tell them where to get sunflowers and wine and how to make the healing potion. So they get healed and got an idea how to help themself.

I think, i like the idea.

Piper

until they are less than OA 20

214875[/snapback]

you mean until they are higher then 20 OA? :P

214884[/snapback]

Err... agreed. :(

And then this NPC could have a small tutorial like the tutorial NPC and teach them some basic things, or give them a quest to buy the 2 sigils needed to cast heal spell cheaper from the magic shops.

Piper

OA means nothing - make it skill limit - highest skill can't be over 20 - if they can join guild - the NPC and fountain aren't for them.

There is newbie island coming, afaik, this ideas could be implemented there if not on IP.

214868[/snapback]

A newbie island?does that mean we will have to do turtorials whenever we make a new char?

I happen to agree with everything Shivar has suggested.

Perhaps both could be used, having same level limits, but making things a little easier?

Arrr, back in me day, we n00bs didn't have an "easy start". We didn't have no fancy "Tutorial NPCs" or "Potions", and nor did we have any "N00b Helpers". We only had a rock. A rock and two sticks! We didn't have all those helpers, we had to fend for our selves against bunnies and beavers!

You had rocks and sticks? Back when I started (with carry capacity of 20 EMU and all stats 0) bunnies were instant death - I was sent to the underworld by the first 12 or so rabbits I attacked (and I got no experience from it). And there were no beavers.

But, is this reason good enough not to implement something like this? Times change the game moved forward - it's much more complicated than it was - I think changes like Shivar proposed will have to be implemented earlier or later.

Yeah, I think it's very reasonable because all in all the purpose is to attract players not to push them away.. and many quit because it's hard to figure everything out right away.. I haven't played for as long as SOME of you have (wink wink) so i remember quite well that it was rather difficult at first to worry about everything. So i left the game lying around for about a week after the first few hours of playing because i found it confusing. However when i decided to give it another go I was fortunate enough to have been healed, but there's not always a kind face around to heal you and teach you. Wouldn't it be nice if there was? :(

As to the people who say it was even more difficult in the beginning.. The game is being developed after all to make it better and more user friendly :P I, personally, am glad it's developing in this direction :( Plus, the game gets more challenging anyway as your character develops :)

But, that's my humble opinion..

Faithfully yours,

Lumen :(

Edit: typo

Edited by Lumen

I also think Shivar's ideas are good ones-I remember that when I started, I was TOTALLY lost. I would probably have quit, but my husband said "Read the guide-you should do that before playing ANY MMORPG. It's a good idea." So, I read Ravenod's guide, and I was fine after that.

When Shivar mentioned these to me a week or so ago, I kept thinking "Oh, it'll be too easy!" as well. However, I agree that we need to convince more people to get their foot in the door and leave it there, so helping brand new players is smart. :P

I don't know what it is about begging these days...it seems many newbs know how to beg before they've learned to walk, and IMHO, the mass-begging epidemic on IP is starting to detract from the atmosphere. So, if this is a way to (at least partially) fix that, I'm all for it. :(

Newbies starting and healing has always been suggested, but why listen now? I think they should start with a newbie bag with some bread, healing potions and some rags (or the equivalent of rags).

Lasud should do this, s/he stands in a good location and will naturally draw newbies towards him/her.

And Tan, of course when you read guides it gives you that heads up. But most newbies don't read them at all. I went on a remote-healing spree in IP for a few days and there were loads of newbies relying on healing (I wasn't training on magic either, I can cast magic immunity which gives me more exp, I just healed newbies cus I think it'was more important). But its hard/expensive to heal forever - and I hope for the benefit of the newbies, another healer warps in and continues the job.

Most newbies I've seen also have just 20 hps - without knowledge that they have 5 pick points to spend already when they start. I think that as soon as a newbie starts, they should be forced to at least know that they have an option to increase their attributes - like an added dialogue of "Welcome to Eternal Lands - you have 5 pick points blah blah etc..."

Giving Newbies faster renegeration helps too, we need to keep newbies playing EL in order to populate Irilion when its ready :)

And could you go back to newbie island too?

215539[/snapback]

To my knowledge...Which is not near perfect.

That is part of the hold-up. We could allow the NH's back but we do not want all players to be able to go back. Then again, many players are great at helping newbies. I would just rely on what Placid says above, "Well, Newbie Island will return in the future. Perhaps this could be implemented then."

Personally: Lets get the newbie Island working well again. Perfect place to teach the beginners the basics. Lets point them in the right direction without having to use people to teach.

If you move the Wraith away from Ip to.... say WS, IP will truly become a newbie island.

The experienced players don't have to go to IP anymore to trade their pickpoints.

BTW, WS is big enough for hosting anouther npc. I say: plant Wraith in the center of WS or in FotF (those are places I hardly ever visit now).