Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New spells interface

This will be updated by the server. And the server is one language alone. I don't feel like adding 10 languages in the server only to handle this magic file.

you mean, instead of seeing:

Fire spell

this spell gives you fire magic

you'd see:

?

213540[/snapback]

Nope, I said _both_

<spell id="34">
      <name>Fire storm</name>
      <ingredient id="12" quantity="1"/>
      <ingredient id="15" quantity="3"/>
      <ingredient id="11" quantity="2"/>
</spell>

Where the name would just be overwritten if there's a file in languages describing that id... All it'd take would be to have the IDs of spells to be constant.

Guest Kuro

Hi, I'm just posting to say I'll be doing this feature... Anyway I don't have too much to say, I'm brand spanking new so mostly trying to get up to speed with the code base and all :icon13:

I do like right-click to cast... As for the name/desc, I might be missing something, but I don't see how we could *only* put it in the spell file, since the text has to be localized. We could certainly have it in both locations though, like Wytter said, and the name is overwritten if there's a file in languages for that id.

Just an idea, but can the spells have a improvement with experience feature? For instance, a remote heal at level X would do +10 pts, while at level X+10 it would do 15pts. The "improvement" would not necessarily have to apply to all spells. Or alternatively, the spell range could increase with exp level. This could work for teleport-to-range too. When I am healing people in IP, it is nice to just sit there and heal, rather than chasing down people that are just outside the range.

Just an idea, but can the spells have a improvement with experience feature? For instance, a remote heal at level X would do +10 pts, while at level X+10 it would do 15pts. The "improvement" would not necessarily have to apply to all spells. Or alternatively, the spell range could increase with exp level. This could work for teleport-to-range too. When I am healing people in IP, it is nice to just sit there and heal, rather than chasing down people that are just outside the range.

I think thats a great idea (isn't it already done?), also, why not have spells to increase range and effectiveness (called 'buff' spells in other MMORPGS)

The mentioned post says that remote heal is level based, and yes, I do think that I can heal more as my magic level increases. What about for other spells though? Magic protection, shield, and poison could last longer. Harm could do more damage.

Of course, if the system is being overhauled, these specific skills might no longer exist. My point is that more spells should have a level basis, IMHO.

not overly relative to the programming but I spent a lot of money as a newbie buying all the sigils and was wondering if people already have all the sigils will that somehow reflect the knowledge of the new spells or was it just a silly newbie thing to do

:)

not overly relative to the programming but I spent a lot of money as a newbie buying all the sigils and was wondering if people already have all the sigils will that somehow reflect the knowledge of the new spells or was it just a silly newbie thing to do

:icon13:

I'm more inclined to say that it was the latter :(

Not sure where Kuro is on this, but I have been tinkering with it now. I am using the xml format of the actor_defs right now as my template. As such, I think we should break the xml get_string_value, ... into a separate file.

Ent, can you help my weak brain and tell me what you mean by an octet (sent from the server)? Just so I know what I am supposed to look for eventually.

Update:

I have xml loading working now, but I made a lot of changes to things.

Here is how I have set up the XML file with the heal spell as an example. I have added the particles namespace to handle future effects. Also, I have included sigils for now as that is how things work currently, as opposed to receiving an octet from the server.

<spells>
<spell id="0">
	<name>Heal</name>
	<desc>Minor healing of wounds</desc>
	<color>0</color>
	<image_id>0</image_id>
	<target type="none" distance="0" />
	<ingredient number="1" image_id="59" quantity="1" />
	<mana amount="5" />
	<magic level="0" />
	<sigil number="1" name="increase" />
	<sigil number="2" name="health" />
	<particles>heal.part</particles>
</spell>
<spell id="1">...</spell>...
</spells>

We could probably collapse a couple things like mana and magic.

I removed some of the xml helper functions from actor_scripts.c and placed them into xmlhelpers.c/h as that should be more reusable. I have also started building the interface to just display the quickspells that one is allowed to cast based upon current sigils and ingredients in inventory.

I removed some of the xml helper functions from actor_scripts.c and placed them into xmlhelpers.c/h as that should be more reusable. I have also started building the interface to just display the quickspells that one is allowed to cast based upon current sigils and ingredients in inventory.

Why not put them in asc.c|h, where the current XML helper functions are located?

Guest Kuro

Ahh, I'm really sorry I have not made much progress on this yet. I took some time out to play EL to get a better feel for how the game works and particularly the magic system, and well, it turned into a long time. I was planning to wrap this up soon, but since you have already started tinkering with it, that's fine. I'm a bit preoccupied with college now, but I'll start taking a look at the list of things to do and see what I can help with... Thanks and again I'm really sorry for taking so long on this.

Why not put them in asc.c|h, where the current XML helper functions are located?

Yeah, I thought of that as I walked home. Will do. Thanks for the reminder though.

And Chrish16, please read the thread again, your question was addressed (though indirectly)

Edited by Drakos7

Preview image so far:

newspells200603081kg.th.jpg

I am lvl 33 so the first 12 existing spells show up (cannot cast smite summoned or mana drain).

In my inventory I have 5 matter, 1 spirit, and 1 energy ess. As you can see, the Shield and 2 Tele spells are higlighted to show that I have all the necessary items to cast them.

Although the new system will apparently not be based upon sigils, I have the hooks in there right now to make sure you have the appropriate sigils. If you do not, that spell will not show up. This will be replaced by a check on the server octets that are sent to us.

Edited by Drakos7

The spell icons look very good, but the problem is imho that many of them nearly look the same. I think we should have an unique icon for each spells, so it can be easily identified.

I think we should have an unique icon for each spells, so it can be easily identified.

:icon13: there already is. he used the icons from the magic quickbar, which are all unique

I agree that the quick spells look a lot alike. I am going to make the names show up when you hover over. I am going to experiment with things as well to see if I can make a more more ergonomic interface.

I made the spell icons be a combo of the sigil pictures. If we remove the sigils I can eventually change the pictures of them.

Although I really like the idea of Sigils, perhaps they can be used in a different manner? Maybe like a magic book you have to read-except instead of a book it's a sigil that gives you the power.

I think we should have an unique icon for each spells, so it can be easily identified.

;) there already is. he used the icons from the magic quickbar, which are all unique

I know these icons and I know they are based on the sigils and that makes many of them resemble each other (e.g. Number 1, 2, 12). It's really nothing very important, it would just be nice if each one of them was really unique :P