Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Plans for the future

I've spent a lot of time lately playing Dota (if you don't know what that is, google for it), because in the beginning I couldn't understand why the hell half of the WC3 custom games were Dota. Then after playing for a few weeks, I realized why. Teamwork, stategy and tactics. And the great diverisity of spells, weapons, characters, and so on.

On the other hand, the combat in EL has very little tactics and strategy. While teamwork is possible, it is not really an option in many cases. For example, you can't even se who your guildmates are fighting with, unless they fight in your proximity.

So I plan to make some changes to address those issues.

The most important change is the minimap, that Frak is implementing as part of his "patriotic" work. Basically, it will be a small map (256x256 pixels window) where you can see the following things:

The terrain that you explored (the rest will be black).

The players, animals, monsters and NPCs around you, all in different colors based on your guild settings*

The players, animals and monsters near your guildmates, regardless on their location on the current map**

*The guild members with a privilege of 18 and higher will be able to assign a color to other guilds, so that the members of his or her guild will see the members of other guilds on the minimap (and locally in their guild tag) with a different color.

This way you can color code friend and enemy guilds.

**There will be a "shared vision" perk, which will cost a lot (maybe 15 pick points or so). If two players from the same guild have that perk and are on the same map, they will automagically share vision, so you will be able to see what they see (that is, the players and animals they see).

Those changes will be done soon, perhaps a month or so, plus the testing period. So they will be done this year, unless somethign unpredicted happens.

The next change will be making the range you can see other players slightly larger (1 or 2 more steps) but the range will be asymetric. That means, one player can see another players, but not the other way around. For example, if you are ina cave near a light source, and the other players is in the dark, he will be able to see you but you won't be able to see him. Light and rain/fog will pay a more important role in the game and combat.

There will also be rings of invisibility, and some item that will give you true sight (ability to see invisible things) when you wear it. The invisibility will be short duration, maybe 15 to 30 seconds, and those rings will be very expensive, in order to address privacy concerns (ie. you and your gf have some wild cybersex while 20 invisible people are watching) :icon4:

We will also have some night vision devices and/or spells.

Then we also plan to have proximity land mines, and remote controlled mines (will work against other players only in PK maps). Now, obviously there is the concern that some people might mine the entries to the PK maps. This issue will be addressed by making a spell like "test of faith" which, if cast on someone that carries mines (in a PK map) will cause that player to take 20 damage/mine he carries, regardless of armor). There will also be some spells like detect mines and defuse mines.

All the mines and other stuff will be incorporated in a new skill, called Combat Field Engineering.

about the fog of war, i think people wil make/use map revall like many cheaters have in strategie games ;p ;p pant it ingame anyways ;p

Edited by Shivar

about the fog of war, i think people wil make/use map revall like many cheaters have in strategie games ;p ;p pant it ingame anyways ;p

210515[/snapback]

They can do that, but it will be against their best interest, since the server will not send the data in the fog of war, so they won't know the range they can view stuff.

As for the dark area, if they disable it, they won't know the places they already explored.

Hmm i tought this was kinda joke post lol ?

i mean engenering in rpg :icon4:, i do that in wolfenstein ET ;>

and why do we care about not seeing explored stuff? i mean i know all PK maps by head lol

Edited by Shivar

Ummmm 15 pickpoints??!!?! Thats like at least a month or two of work!!

210523[/snapback]

Sure, but no one is forcing you to get that perk, yes?

Could this be tied into the use of the perception attribute? Affecting how much your character is able to see locally, and remotely with the shared vision perk. Possibly being able to see invisible items better? Invisibility might be a you see it or you don't type of thing so that might not fly.

There will also be rings of invisibility, and some item that will give you true sight (ability to see invisible things) when you wear it. The invisibility will be short duration, maybe 15 to 30 seconds, and those rings will be very expensive, in order to address privacy concerns (ie. you and your gf have some wild cybersex while 20 invisible people are watching)

We will also have some night vision devices and/or spells.

I love you. :icon4:

I have a few questions so I can understand this new mini-map a bit better:

How persistent is the "explored" area? Is it retained only while you're on that map, or is it remembered forever (if I return to that map next week, will it still know what areas I've explored and what areas I never walked through)?

How much information does it remember about the explored areas? That is, does it just remember terrain, or will other static (stuff that can't move) items be marked on the mini-map? Will any noteworthy features (like a cave, or house, or temple) that may not be marked on the tab-map show up (and be saved) on the mini-map?

The players, animals, monsters and NPCs around you, all in different colors based on your guild settings

I assume that this is for some area larger than you can see in the game window? I mean, you can see all the people/animals/players around you. And it can't track the movement of stuff after you've moved to far away. So just how much of a range does it track, and for how long does it remember the information (if you move away)?

The players, animals and monsters near your guildmates, regardless on their location on the current map

I assume that whatever range limitation apply to your own character also apply to what a guildmate sees?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I'm trying to understand all the ways this (cool feature) will be useful. And I'm sure others have the same questions.

Edited by bkc56

i thougth that one time you siad home/insert/delete were for avoiding landmines you were joking i guess not

How persistent is the "explored" area?  Is it retained only while you're on that map, or is it remembered forever (if I return to that map next week, will it still know what areas I've explored and what areas I never walked through)?

How much information does it remember about the explored areas?  That is, does it just remember terrain, or will other static (stuff that can't move) items be marked on the mini-map?  Will any noteworthy features (like a cave, or house, or temple) that may not be marked on the tab-map show up (and be saved) on the mini-map?

210554[/snapback]

have you ever played warcraft 3? in it, your map will be all black when you start out, when you explore the black will go away, if you leave the area the map will be a light grey and you will see what was there at their last know position for about 30 seconds. right ent?

edit: typos :whistle:

Edited by gilthanas

How persistent is the "explored" area?  Is it retained only while you're on that map, or is it remembered forever (if I return to that map next week, will it still know what areas I've explored and what areas I never walked through)?

How much information does it remember about the explored areas?  That is, does it just remember terrain, or will other static (stuff that can't move) items be marked on the mini-map?  Will any noteworthy features (like a cave, or house, or temple) that may not be marked on the tab-map show up (and be saved) on the mini-map?[/b]

The minimap will be exclusively for the terrain, you won't see shops and various other 'touristic attractions' like on the Tab map.

The blackness will dissapear forever when you visit that area. So the exploration will be persistent.

The players, animals, monsters and NPCs around you, all in different colors based on your guild settings

I assume that this is for some area larger than you can see in the game window?  I mean, you can see all the people/animals/players around you.  And it can't track the movement of stuff after you've moved to far away.  So just how much of a range does it track, and for how long does it remember the information (if you move away)?

The players, animals and monsters near your guildmates, regardless on their location on the current map

Yes, it will be for the players/animals and stuff that the client knows about. That is what you can see (your surroundings) and what your guildmates can see (if that perk is used).

I assume that whatever range limitation apply to your own character also apply to what a guildmate sees?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I'm trying to understand all the ways this (cool feature) will be useful.  And I'm sure others have the same questions.

210554[/snapback]

Yes and no. Same limitations, but different distances, because the distance you can see will be given by multiple factors.

Sounds like a great idea, land mines could be nice if there was a certian space on maps where you couldn't put them like beside posts so when you jump into a map you won't be mined..But i will be looking forward to it. :whistle:

This sounds really good and i am really excited about it.Hope fully ill be able to sleep for the next couple of months :whistle: .Question:do you have any range that invisibility rings would have to be made for players, and would they have hard ingrediants or easy ones?Reason:to try to understand how pricy and how many there will be in the soon future.

replace mines with traps ;>

210529[/snapback]

I agree. Call them deadfalls, pungee sticks, arrow, dart, or fire traps, even magical traps, but I think explosives are a bit high-tech for the Lands.

Dave

I agree. Call them deadfalls, pungee sticks, arrow, dart, or fire traps, even magical traps, but I think explosives are a bit high-tech for the Lands.

210612[/snapback]

People! Have you actually played the game? Have you made quests?

EL has sattelites! So mines are in a right place. Nothing wrong with them.

Regards

Chryzopraz

That's why I love this game. So many development and improving... And all with the community feedback... This is great :)

210666[/snapback]

Yeah!!! New skill, crafting been worth lvling againg with the introducttion of new rings, and improved combat! Wow this all will be really cool!

Dave

210612[/snapback]

Hehe, I wondered how people who fight with big sticks, brandish bones, and go around asking how to make fire would be able to make and use land mines...but today I visited the Portland library while journeying through Seridia, and now all is clear...the engineers live in Portland :)

PLlibrary.jpg