Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Changes to the PK system. Yes or no?

so instead of having 'combat turns' as we have now, and being locked in combat, have a system similar to RTS games, where you can attack only those next to you, but you or they can flee at any time

199167[/snapback]

*talking about PK only*

i dont know other MMOPRGs so i dont know their system but what i read in this line doesnt sound good to me.. attacking a target is hard now anyway when both are moving. So getting to a tile next to the target and then clicking it seems like a mission impossible to me. And when u catch the guy, he just moves a tile and its over. So if you try to defent or capture a fort or just clean up the map people can just jump around and u cant do a thing. Maybe i got a wrong picture, like i said i dont know those systems so please somebody explain more..

I'd like to see Rogue's opinion on this too since he fights a lot

I WOULD like more strategy in fights, but in my opinion the system should stay the same just improved with new spells, summons, diffened kinds of armor/meds/weapons that make u choose, not like now when its obvious whats the best. Archery will help also.

Flee without failing make's training waaay too easy.

And talk about disring is useless i agree with that, yes u got 5 sec but when u flee someone u can't attack right after you have to wait a few seconds aswell if im right.

No, leave it as is. :wub:

It sounds sort of like r***s****, plus it would make Disengagement rings completly useless :)

199265[/snapback]

true. maybe we could make a ring like: unable to flee for 10 secs >.<

And talk about disring is useless i agree with that, yes u got 5 sec but when u flee someone u can't attack right after you have to wait a few seconds aswell if im right.

199330[/snapback]

Fleeing as a mean to get xp will be redundant in such a system.

Guest Enyo

199330[/snapback]

unless you are being gangbanged then some people attack one right after the other which makes diss rings useless anyway. i love entropy's new idea.. sounds great and is worth a try.

try hunt a rabbit or similar in a forest and you will see that it can get very insane trying to locate that ball of fur quite fast.

so if that ball of fur can suddeny turn and run we need some way to tag it, either for pursuit or easyer attacking ones we are close to it.

199305[/snapback]

This reminds me of something I've been wishing for. It's a little off-topic, but this seems like as good a place as any to bring it up.

When I click on a target to attack and it's too far away, I'd love it if my character would go ahead and move in that direction. (As if I had clicked on the tile the trget is standing on, in other words.)

Back to topic:

I like the idea of being able to disengage at any time, but if you think it might slow fights down too much you could limit the opportunities. For example, in Dungeons & Dragons (like EL but without the computer - we used dice back in the Stone Age) each time a monster took damage it had a chance to disengage and flee.

I think a pursuit feature would be helpful too - a combatant could flee, but the non-fleeing combatant has a chance to catch him and re-engage based on their relative attack and defense levels.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

pro:

- somethimes really hard to flee

- lost exp when can't flee

- when be attacked by multiple players, easier to flee and attack the one we prefer without use a dis ring everytime

- dis ring continue to have an freeze effect and still use when you want stop a fight

- easier to flee when you see someone on a spawn and want let him

- easier to flee when attacked by a stronger monster than you

cons

nothing for me -_-

Guest Enyo
pro:

- somethimes really hard to flee

- lost exp when can't flee

- when be attacked by multiple players, easier to flee and attack the one we prefer without use a dis ring everytime

- dis ring continue to have an freeze effect and still use when you want stop a fight

- easier to flee when you see someone on a spawn and want let him

- easier to flee when attacked by a stronger monster than you

cons

nothing for me -_-

199370[/snapback]

also, i've used something similar to this with knightonlinworld.com and i love it.. yes i play another game sometimes when i just want to kill and nothing else.. anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion shenriss and i agree with all of it 100%.

pro:

- Woohoo, i'm now immortal :axeman_rune:

- err :D

cons :

- you get more exp when you fail to flee while training

- when being attacked by multiple players, easier to flee and attack the one you prefer without using a dis ring everytime

- when someone flees, you can't attack right after, you have to wait a few seconds

- will add a lot of strategy to the game, but sadly, i can't find where :)

Yes,i know, i used some sentences from entropy, smooms and shenriss without quoting them, but it's because i made some changes in them :P

But anyway, before saying a definitive YES or NO, it would be better to exactly know how it's intended to work, as the explanations are not that clear. For exemple your adversary flees (easy, he can't fail :P), you click on him to attack again, do you have the "Not now (busy)" message or do you attack ?

- when someone flees, you can't attack right after, you have to wait a few seconds

199388[/snapback]

Not anymore, of course... That's part of the turn-based system.

Anyway, methinks you'd have a penalty for fleeing - such as they get one free hit on you where your armor, toughness, and defense don't come into play.

why would you need more strategy if this gets implemented?

only thing you need to do is click and you flee immediatly so no nice fights anymore

kf will be filled with people so no one "dominates" a pk map anymore.

noobs will laugh at stronger guilds cause the stronger ones can't kill weaker people cause they can just click and flee.

everyone would have millions of gc cause people get killed less (so you don't lose armour and don't have to buy new one)

like someone said before killing a rabbit would be impossible so noobs don't rank.

so adjusting it would suck :D

What about flee training? I know I use it to build up my defense levels, because for every time I fail to flee and the animal/monster does not successfully attack me, I gain defense experience. However, if it is easier to flee, then it would basically destroy this training method. It's annoying enough as is when you actually succeed in fleeing :P

Perhaps you can implement this only in PK maps to start? Keep turn-based fighting in other maps, but try out this system in PK maps to test how it affects battle in general. One can fight monsters on PK maps to test this system as well. If it works, implement it. If not, return to the old system.

would be great :)

would save me alot of money on dis rings :)

199351[/snapback]

only thing you need to do is click and you flee immediatly so no nice fights anymore

noobs will laugh at stronger guilds cause the stronger ones can't kill weaker people cause they can just click and flee.

everyone would have millions of gc cause people get killed less (so you don't lose armour and don't have to buy new one)

like someone said before killing a rabbit would be impossible so noobs don't rank.

so adjusting it would suck  :P

199394[/snapback]

changed your minds?....

i say put this in... but let me give a little note with that

on guild wars when a warrior attacks you and you flee the warrior will deal extra damage so perhaps make that a disadvantage to this easy fleeing

i say put this in... but let me give a little note with that

on guild wars when a warrior attacks you and you flee the warrior will deal extra damage so perhaps make that a disadvantage to this easy fleeing

199424[/snapback]

Good idea, but dont over do this idea (if u implement it) and make it suck. :P

But the bad point is training on monsters. Nearly everyone has to flee from a monster when training, u can't have it giving u extra damage each time.

How about making this possible in pk maps only?

But the bad point is training on monsters. Nearly everyone has to flee from a monster when training, u can't have it giving u extra damage each time.

199425[/snapback]

flee training is silly. you flee, you allow your opponent to get a bonus strike. sounds reasonable

flee training is silly. you flee, you allow your opponent to get a bonus strike. sounds reasonable

199428[/snapback]

Its not 'silly'. You stop getting exp after so many hits/misses so u dont want smacked again just for not getting exp.

Guest Enyo

personally, i hate fleeing and most of the time i don't do it.. it's annoying and time consuming and you use more srs anyway.. i think there isn't a real difference in experience at the end of day if you count exp per srs although argian once told me that there is because he actually compared. i compared and i never saw much of a difference. as i said before, i've played using a combat system similar to what entropy is suggesting and i loved it.. i still say along with some others here, let's give it a chance.. :P two thumbs up from :)

Its not 'silly'. You stop getting exp after so many hits/misses so u dont want smacked again just for not getting exp.

199431[/snapback]

that's not flee training. flee training is trying to run away from the start of the fight to boost defense skill (if it was apropriate to the combat system, then defending would work here)

Guest Enyo
QUOTE(Hardcore @ Sep 21 2005, 12:07 PM)

would be great

would save me alot of money on dis rings

QUOTE(Hardcore @ Sep 21 2005, 02:17 PM)

so adjusting it would suck 

changed your minds?....

199417[/snapback]

hahahahahaha!! :P