Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LemonStar

What happens when we die

Personally, when I suggested the lowering levels, I thought 50% loss might be a little harsh, and complete loss would be catastrophic. I was also thinking of making food a 100% drop item, even with the reduce-rate perk or a rostogal stone. Thus, a drop to 0 level would mean you either can't get food, hope for the bags of bread on IP, or have to spend forever trying to get a food (anyone else tried to harvest veggies with level 0 harvesting?).

Also, I never thought of doing anything to the base or cross attributes - though that also could make the penalty even worse - you get back to your bag, but you can't carry it...

Excellent ideas! It would really rock to have that added to currently routine death. Two more suggestion linked to this one. The revitalization potions might have to be made inside magic school alchemy laboratories and maybe so that alchemist would need to work in different rooms to create one potion. That would really add action at that area when included with the recovery rate bonus at certain places.

And for eye candy and there could be a portal from Hades in Isla Prima or any other area through which the dead come back to life. There would be a story to write about that one and maybe a quest or two. Further refine this thought higher level characters could come through another portal from Hades. Thic other portal could be used for events where hell spawns make an invasion. At this time all dead would come through newbie portal and monsters through higher level portal.

If EL supports animated textures I am ready to model and texture a portal like that.

- cedox

Edited by cedox

If current Might is reduced to zero, would this give a zero carrying capacity as well? In such a state, could a starving character ever even pick up the food needed to enable attribute recovery?

Has this been covered in the 'reset' implementation already?

If current Might is reduced to zero, would this give a zero carrying capacity as well?  In such a state, could a starving character ever even pick up the food needed to enable attribute recovery?

193656[/snapback]

good point. we'd have to 'newbie'erise the char, which means stats go back to 4, everything else (probably even a/d) goes to 0

How about this, no losing exp, no levels, no crap:

You go pwn stuff. Alas, the tables get turned and you get pwned. You g2h. You exit hell, and then you can have only 10% of your normal stats, for liek 10 mins or so. I.E. if you have 100/100/20/20 a/d/p/c, that means you will have 10/10/2/2 a/d/p/c.

Sorry i just got on this post i don't like that idea lemon(sry if your talking about something different)

No way. Dying is bad enough as it is. This would suck. Period.

Who would want that? What would make you WANT to lose exp? Seriously?

Im udderly baffled.

No way. Dying is bad enough as it is. This would suck. Period.

Who would want that? What would make you WANT to lose exp? Seriously?

Im udderly baffled.

195055[/snapback]

I think the reason some people like the idea of losing some exp on death is to make it more of a challenge to play and death being more then just a minor inconveniance. How about trying to make alternative suggestions if you don't like an idea instead of sounding so negative?

Sorry.. but yeah Gurgeh's idea is good. But perhaps not skills, just attributes.

Although it might be hard to program that...

And maybe even 2 per minute..

This is not my idea :-)

But if ur carry cap goes to 80 then where u'll drop the items u can't carry... in the hell?. And rosto stone lost all the benefit this way i think... . Maybe carry should be untouched. Dunno

But if ur carry cap goes to 80 then where u'll drop the items u can't carry... in the hell?. And rosto stone lost all the benefit this way i think... . Maybe carry should be untouched.

195065[/snapback]

When you reset you still hold all of the items, so it won't be different...

It's workable, I suppose. And it automatically scales according to player. How about if everything's current level gets zeroed, and recovers at the usual rate of 1 point per minute?

And everything regenerates back up to normal at 1 point per minute. So, to arrive at maximum efficiency again, the newbie would have to wait 10 minutes (that's the max - for harvesting skill).

Therefore, they will need 65 whole minutes before all their current levels went back to normal.

However, note that Potions could probably be used to increase current skill levels back up to normal faster.

-Lyn-

193648[/snapback]

I like this idea.

I suggest 2 levels of deaths;

Death's door

Current skill levels should get zeroed (excluding OA), but not the stats, they should go down to the initial "4" and nexuses should stay "as is", then the regain could be a function of:

1. potions of rejuvenation

2. Auto restore 1+ (OA/10) (round down) skillpoints per min in each skill.

Mortos spawn

If you should die again, before you are fully restored the penalties should be harsher:

1. 70% chance to loose each carried item

2. a random loss of xp (in the same range as the Queen of nature) in one random skill.

3. skills will be zeroed and restored at 1 point per min.

Alternative:

Death's door applies to the 1st death per ingame day, and the following deaths during that day will be Mortos spawn deaths. Each game day (6 hours) the cyle "resets"

Edited by Derin

Derin.. sorry to say but I wouldn't like if they made them as harsh as Morto's Spawn..

I like the idea of regenerating at 1 or 2 per minute...

Or just how it is. ;)

Derin.. sorry to say but I wouldn't like if they made them as harsh as Morto's Spawn..

so don't die :D
Or just how it is. ;)

195080[/snapback]

bleh, nah... despite comments to the contrary, there's no real loss to a death (boy, is that different!) if you have on your nifty-keen best fighting gear, there's a chance someone else will pick it up, sure... but you were risking it breaking in a fight anyway... and how many people take that sort of nifty-keen gear out fighting regularly, and can't afford to replace it all? (if not, why are you risking breaking it?)

derin, a problem though... what about those people with an OA 8-9? they need a potion, else they can't recover (and they're the ones least likely to be able to get one)

you can have that as a special case though

as to the bonus round item loss, how about 20% the item is destroyed (damagables get damaged instead, and those special capes are of course immune), and 40% it's dropped? (I know, I keep pushing for item loss on deaths all over the place)

and as for rostogol... iffn you have one, it allows you to use the normal rules of death instead of mortos' version (would 2 rostos keep all your items though? dunno)

derin, a problem though... what about those people with an OA 8-9? they need a potion, else they can't recover (and they're the ones least likely to be able to get one)

you can have that as a special case though

as to the bonus round item loss, how about 20% the item is destroyed (damagables get damaged instead, and those special capes are of course immune), and 40% it's dropped? (I know, I keep pushing for item loss on deaths all over the place)

and as for rostogol... iffn you have one, it allows you to use the normal rules of death instead of mortos' version (would 2 rostos keep all your items though? dunno)

195268[/snapback]

the formula should be 1+(OA/10) So the min "restore points" should be 1.

(I edited my original post)

The rostogol stone should work exactly as it works now, the bad effects will come into play if you die without a rostogol stone.

EHH no chance, think about high level players. 1% of there oa exp would be like 1-2 levels. There levels are huge + losing all your armour, he's and srs etc... is a real bumer.

EHH no chance, think about high level players. 1% of there oa exp would be like 1-2 levels. There levels are huge + losing all your armour, he's and srs etc... is a real bumer.

195322[/snapback]

That's why I was thinking about an xp loss in the same range as the Queen of nature gives bonus xp, at least it's a start....

Ugh, I totally dislike any exp loss.

If ANYTHING along those lines, the temporary reset back to enforce a "rest", but I still would rather see the underworld itself be made hard and full of pitfalls.

Woah, I really should have checked this thread sooner.

I think that:

a) Hell should be made harder, and take longer to get out of

:brooding: Having your stats knocked down to half with a recovery rate of 1 a min is good. (having fast regen would take this up to 3)

As for dropping items, Probably leave as is. Though I do like the idea of having a higer chance of stuff breaking when you die.

I'd also like to see a chance for your gear to break when you die.
:P

Seeing as I and many others go thru armour like it was toilet paper i have to strongly disagree with this suggestion. Asides from the many posistive points of the game i find it unfortunate to be afraid to wear armour in case it breaks. Never b4 in many an rpg have i ever had this concern.

Lilacs are now gone, monsters drop neglible gold and things break at a sometimes, 'astonishing' rate. Perhaps you have buckets of money to spare but not all do. Besides, its annoying to walk to spawn only for your chain to break and have to walk all the way back, and no - i shouldn't have to carry 1-2 spare of everything, everytime...should I?

Stuff breaking is an annoying thing, but it does make it realistic. I mean you are stanfing there trading blows with a gargoyle for hours on end and there is no damage to your armour... I have had loads of stuff break and had to walk back to storage... just means that it takes a little longer to train up your A/D wich is actually quite a quick level to get.

Woah, I really should have checked this thread sooner.

I think that:

a) Hell should be made harder, and take longer to get out of

B) Having your stats knocked down to half with a recovery rate of 1 a min is good. (having fast regen would take this up to 3)

As for dropping items, Probably leave as is. Though I do like the idea of having a higer chance of stuff breaking when you die.

195650[/snapback]

Hrm, maybe max level on the stat drop? Really, otherwise gives the all-rounders the ability to bounce right back, but any specific stat subspecialization is grossly penalized.

Hmm... and I was going to suggest dieing have an easier punishment... such as an NPC in the underworld that returned your stuff, so that takes out bagjumpers (most ne ways) and he would kind of randomly spurse through out the underworld so you'd have to find him everytime (Suck for invasions... some one could be down there for like hours trying to find the NPC...)