Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asmodis

request for traps an curses

Hi :hiya:

For some reason the game makers want bag jumping, death bag taking and scamming not be illegal officially. But I know, most of us players think different ... me included!

Today I was in Grahms Village and saw Legalus take the death bags of at least 3 players within about 10 minutes. :P

devs: Please implement cruising items (incl. death bags) and making traps in the game!

That way you could keep the rules (towards scamming and bag jumping) and give us a way to deal with outlaws on non-PK maps! ;)

Now I ask all players: PLEASE support this idea! The more (positive) replies my idea gets the more likely the devs will realize it.

cheers!

~ Asmodis

ps: I use "us" since I know at least 3 other players that support my idea...

pps: I hav another suggestion, which is putting names on death bags (like: when opening the bag there is a message who dropped it), which would help honest players to return death bags , but I'll open a new topic that for.

And this is the direct link to that (^^) topic: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17580

Edited by Asmodis

So basically you don't want a game, you want an easy level machine.

Dying is supposed to be bad. It's *dying*!!!! Which part of that implies happy ending? And what other than possibly losing your stuff is bad about dying in EL? The 30 second inconvenience of getting out of the underworld and the 2 minute walk back to where you were?

Bagjumpers...in every game there are good forces and not-so-good forces. Part of the game is to do your thing while avoiding the bad guys. Look at pacman...do you write to the game creator and tell him to remove the glowy ghosts because they kill your pacman guy? It's part of the game! If they weren't there, it would be pretty boring.

Scammers...well they are pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Other than password scamming, there almost always is no way to *prove* a scam. Only editable chatlogs and "he said, she said" testimony. Most scams occur because people are looking for the fast easy route for quick money or quick levels. And nobody can deny all the blue spam warning people :hiya:

I also feel that some of these things are for the community to handle, not the game devs or mods. That is why there is an outlaw section in the forums for example.

I don't see where I said that... :hug:

Dying is supposed to be bad.  It's *dying*!!!!  Which part of that implies happy ending?  And what other than possibly losing your stuff is bad about dying in EL?  The 30 second inconvenience of getting out of the underworld and the 2 minute walk back to where you were?

Imho there are better ways ... one could "loose" skills etc - games like morrowind punish people like that. <--- no more being annoyed about other players behaviour but on oneself making a mistake!

Bagjumpers...in every game there are good forces and not-so-good forces.  Part of the game is to do your thing while avoiding the bad guys.

That sounds like there are some guys in the EL team having the task to bag jump and kidd newbies. :hiya:

Look at pacman...do you write to the game creator and tell him to remove the glowy ghosts because they kill your pacman guy?  It's part of the game!  If they weren't there, it would be pretty boring.

Imho the games is _quite_ interesting whithout PK and without bag jumping. Looks like you did not get my intention....

Scammers...well they are pretty pathetic, if you ask me.  Other than password scamming, there almost always is no way to *prove* a scam.  Only editable chatlogs and "he said, she said" testimony. 

There are at least 10 people who can confirm Legalus bagjumping so there is a way to proove it! You trust LadyWolf? Ask her!

Edited by Asmodis

I also feel that some of these things are for the community to handle, not the game devs or mods. That is why there is an outlaw section in the forums for example.

193038[/snapback]

:hiya: ?!

How much did posting threads on Legalus behaviour help this far? Nothing! And especially newbies do not read forum threads before starting a game...

Havent seen you running around giving players warning of known scammers and bag jumpers as well.

So how do you think we handle scammers effectively?!

Looks like u only say "Tough luck!"... You're antisocial, right? :hug:

There are ways to immobilize someone even if they arn't on a pk map, use your head.

Also, this is just not a good idea. For one, someone could lay a bag with a trap before they die to save their stuff. Also, you are looking to get the easy way out, or power gamming. But imho this gameis all PG'ing cept for a few things..

Aisy and Learner make good points.

1. It would be too easy to get your stuff back, if you die should you get your stuff back? no it's free game. But some people are nice like me and dont care whats in it and just wait for the person to come back.

2.It wouldn't be fair to the other Players if you could set traps on a pk map with just one apple in it, it just isnt logical.

3. The mods and dev's have enough work on their hands. Even the non-dev teams like Quest/Map/Story/Event teams have alot of work to do.

4.There is a suggestion forum....

this ends my rant for now

I don't see where I said that... :hug:

You want anything difficult that "gets in your way" removed.

Dying is supposed to be bad.  It's *dying*!!!!  Which part of that implies happy ending?  And what other than possibly losing your stuff is bad about dying in EL?  The 30 second inconvenience of getting out of the underworld and the 2 minute walk back to where you were?
Imho there are better ways ... one could "loose" skills etc - games like morrowind punish people like that. <--- no more being annoyed about other players behaviour but on oneself making a mistake!

Erm you still died, it was still your mistake you died. It isn't the death-bag taker's fault you died. Why would you be mad at him more than the admin or automated program who reduced your skill level?

That sounds like there are some guys in the EL team having the task to bag jump and kidd newbies.  :hiya:

No but they chose to play the game this way.

Imho the games is _quite_ interesting whithout PK and without bag jumping. Looks like you did not get my intention....

But not for everybody else. I don't pk either, or bagjump, or scam...but I don't expect it removed just to make my life easier either. It's part of the game I chose to play. If I don't like it that much, I leave.

There have been several other threads on this issue. You should check them out. I am not saying that players shouldn't have "recourse" ingame. I am just saying that these bad elements are not going to go away. I think it would be fun to have jails and some form of player retaliation method. Do a search and see what other things have been suggested.

My opinion is that you can't be evil enough in this game! I'd like to steal, sneak into players houses and strip them from their valuables, then leave a note 'kilroy was here'. Some oppressive feelings would be nice addition. Gargoyles in the night are cool, but it's only them :hiya:

- Cedox

There are ways to immobilize someone even if they arn't on a pk map, use your head.

Afaik spamming somebody IS illegal officially... Tell me when I'm wrong!

Also, this is just not a good idea. For one, someone could lay a bag with a trap before they die to save their stuff.

So what? :D That was my intention...

Aisy and Learner make good points.

[...]

2.It wouldn't be fair to the other Players if you could set traps on a pk map with just one apple in it, it just isnt logical.

Thats as nice as bag jumping. I don't see a difference. You can make such traps in real life as well.

3. The mods and dev's have enough work on their hands. Even the non-dev teams like Quest/Map/Story/Event teams have alot of work to do.

Oh, I'm so sorry... Stupid me making suggestions to improve the game...

4.There is a suggestion forum....

this ends my rant for now

If you read the first post, you may get an idea why I posted this suggestion HERE.

You want anything difficult that "gets in your way" removed.

My dear ... I know the game quite good now to avoid danger! PLEASE take a thought on NEWBIES, can you?

Hum ... I guess only high level players find the game boring when not bag jumping or PKing other PCs. <_<

Erm you still died, it was still your mistake you died.  It isn't the death-bag taker's fault you died.  Why would you be mad at him more than the admin or automated program who reduced your skill level?

I think if u don't know yourself there is no sense in explaining :D

But not for everybody else.  I don't pk either, or bagjump, or scam...but I don't expect it removed just to make my life easier either.

I DO NOT EXPECT THAT!!! It was a suggestion! S U G G E S T I O N ! OK?

There have been several other threads on this issue.  You should check them out.

I did a search for "curse" and "trap" and got no result.

What I see now is, some of you still have no clue WHY I made this suggestion...

Erm you still died, it was still your mistake you died.  It isn't the death-bag taker's fault you died.  Why would you be mad at him more than the admin or automated program who reduced your skill level?

How do you think about tomb raiders in real life?!

Ok before i rip your head off for totaly ignoring the points. Lets go into a Role Playing part since this is a RPG...

1. A thief is a Perfectly legal job profession. But you MUST say that you stole from them. ((eg: ;leans down while running and snatches up the bag)). In this sense, you are just adding to the Role Play. So sthu.

Ways to immoblize are complete Econmic blocks, embargo's, Total war...*Edited by Aisy* (pm me yoshi)

Oh, I'm so sorry... Stupid me making suggestions to improve the game...

Suggestions are welcome. I'm simple saying that We are busy with the Huge update coming out. So you will probably not get a reply until they finish with the update..

If you read the first post, you may get an idea why I posted this suggestion HERE.

This is Outlaws, you declare who is a bagjumper/pker/scammer, NOT WAYS TO PREVENT THAT! that is a Suggestion as to how to prevent the illegal actions. Mind you that you can't think 5 minutes infront of you.

Ill defend Aisy here.

PLEASE take a thought on NEWBIES, can you?

The Dev's and teams ALWAYS(let me repeat this so it gets through your thick skull)ALWAYS try to make the game easier and more interesting for the Newbies. We try to aim at the lower level of players as well as the higher level also.

I think if u don't know yourself there is no sense in explaining

Oh please do, right now i think you just want the easy way out. and i think thats what others are thinking aswell.

When you die you might loose yor stuff (the bag) for a number of reasons. This is all part of the game.

So, as always, never play with something you can't afford to loose. The dropping of items is a penalty. See it as such and try to avoid dying. It's all part of the game, and be grateful to the fact that you don't die for real in the game (ie character deleted).

Lets go into a Role Playing part since this is a RPG...

A thief is a Perfectly legal job profession.

thats true!

Ways to immoblize are complete Econmic blocks, embargo's, Total war...

Thats an option but newbies (and some other players) dont know the evil guys!

for sindatas sake your retarded.

I really like u calling me a retarded ... just like I insulted you, right? :(

Suggestions are welcome. I'm simple saying that We are busy with the Huge update coming out. So you will probably not get a reply until they finish with the update..

Thats just fine and I know the devs are busy. But the reply just sounded like "do not make useless requests".

This is Outlaws, you declare who is a bagjumper/pker/scammer, NOT WAYS TO PREVENT THAT! that is a Suggestion as to how to prevent the illegal actions. Mind you that you can't think 5 minutes infront of you.

Well, I apologize then. I thought if it's connected with outlaws it belonges here :-\

Ill defend Aisy here.

The Dev's and teams ALWAYS(let me repeat this so it gets through your thick skull)ALWAYS try to make the game easier and more interesting for the Newbies. We try to aim at the lower level of players as well as the higher level also.

fine!

Oh please do, right now i think you just want the easy way out. and i think thats what others are thinking aswell.

Okay. I already sait it ... I know how to prevent being killed, ok?

Today I helped 2 newbies. You know what they did? They harvested lilacs in VOTD because they lost their (tutorial) weapon and armor when they died. Then, to one of them I showed how to "use" pick points....

When the update has been done (which means that there are no more lilacs in front of the flower shop) I bet more newbies will degress... since they cant efford buying new stuff. So they will not have fun!

I really think of just let bags disappear and not helping newbies now - careing only makes me get grey hair :blink:

Anyway, looks like I jumped on lots of peoples feet! :blink: So how do I close this thread?

Edited by Asmodis

Reopened this thread at Asmodis' request, now that everybody has cooled off, maybe this topic can be discussed some more :)

Reopened this thread at Asmodis' request, now that everybody has cooled off, maybe this topic can be discussed some more :P

196233[/snapback]

Hi Aislinn.

Thx for reopening! :o

Hi all.

Well, I changed my mind a little. My intention was making all virtual peoples life easier.

Now of course you are right: there has to be a penalty for dying and imho the recent "penalty" is good for people which played eternal lands for a while.

But I still think that there should be an easy way for newbies to keep their tutorial stuff or get new. As we know weapon is not needed, but armor quite useful - if not even needed...

New idea:

Since #beam me is / will not be possible for users above level 20 ... why shouldnt players below lv 20 keep their stuff or - maybe more realistic - the chance to loose each item be reduced to 25% for people below lvl 20?

As for the update all flowers in front of the flower shop were removed there is no justifiable way for newbies to get new armor... well, some beg for money or items, but I think we all do not want that.

Please don't get me wrong. I always disliked the VOTD storage since it was crowded and some more reasons. I am happy that the flowers on the graveyard were removed!

Now, what do you think?

~ Asmodis

Ummm..I never once begged for armor when I was first starting out...and I never harvested lilacs either. I killed bunnies and beavers and when I got 100 furs and meats I'd sell them on market channel.

There are plenty of ways for newbs to get money for armor, just some require a little bit more work that it took to run from the lilacs to the flower shop.

For instance:

Fire essences- newbs can still make FE's and sell to the magic shop for 3gc each.

meat- last time I checked raw meat was a hot commodity on the market channel.

rabbit furs- can be sold to players, or for a minimal investment newbs can make warm fur gloves and sell them to the general store for 7.5 gc each iirc.

Fruit in Portland- granted they have to have MM cloak or perk to dodge teh gobbie, but it is very quick money.

Veggies southwest of raven- only a hop skip and a jump from the veggie patch southwest of raven to the tavern.

Blue Lupines in Portland- granted they don't pay as much as lilacs did, and you need MM cloak or perk (or lvl 21 def), but there is a 3x BL bush not far from the flower shop in north portland.

I for one am happy to see the flowers gone. It was pretty depressing when I worked hard to get what I have and didn't take the easy way out, saved for weeks and weeks to get a MM cloak (back when they were still 10k), only to see people that have played less than 24 hours running around in an MM cloak asking me how do I eat?

This game isn't supposed to be easy, and I think the recent changes will help boost the economy a bit, because it cut out one source of easy money.

I hate bagjumpers, and always return bags to people who lose them.

Although, it is part of the game.

Some people might want to be a "thief" class...

I think it should just be left without traps, but people really shouldn't do it.

Ummm..I never once begged for armor when I was first starting out...and I never harvested lilacs either. I killed bunnies and beavers and when I got 100 furs and meats I'd sell them on market channel.

There are plenty of ways for newbs to get money for armor, just some require a little bit more work that it took to run from the lilacs to the flower shop.

It starts with the tutorial... Newbies may be killed in WS when they enter the map coming from IP at night time (doing the tutorial quest -> touching the tavern bars) when meeting a gargoyle next to the port. "Tutorial players" & newbies usually don't have MM perk or cloak.

If there wasn't channel 1 - and I think a game should be "playable" without getting tons of suggestions from experienced players - they would not know that WS is NOT safe at night time... Anyhow the solution is "to be on the safe side when doing the tutorial wait 2 hours until its daytime" ... great!

For instance:

Fire essences- newbs can still make FE's and sell to the magic shop for 3gc each.

To do that they need lots information:

"What are the ingredients? When I have them, how do I make FEs?"

"Which map on do I get sulfur? How do I get there? Where is the Crystal Cave, how do I get there? Where in the CC do I have to go ... or how does sulfur look like? There is no map and I got lost in the CC - it's huge and I can't even find the way out... I am where the sulfur is but I didn't knew that I need gloves where do I get them?"

"Where do I get red snapdragons and red roses? How do red snapdragons look like?"

"Where do I sell the FEs I made? ... I made 10 FEs, why doesnt anyone on channel 3 buy those? Oh, really? 10 FEs is like nothing and nobody would buy 10 essences? How many do I have to make? My alchemy level is zero - how long will it take to make 100 essences?

I cant make more essences. The game says I need to eat, but where do I get food from? I could buy some from the tavern but I lost all my money when I did the tutorial and died three times when a rabbit, a beaver and a rat killed me."

meat- last time I checked raw meat was a hot commodity on the market channel.

Not 10 pieces. Maybe 100...

rabbit furs- can be sold to players, or for a minimal investment newbs can make warm fur gloves and sell them to the general store for 7.5 gc each iirc.

Not 10 fur. Maybe 50...

Fruit in Portland- granted they have to have MM cloak or perk to dodge teh gobbie, but it is very quick money.

"I tried to harvest fruits when I've seen some in a house. But the game said I cant harvest those! Where do I get fruits from? ... What's PL? ... Okay, PortLand ... how do I get there? ... A ship from DP? Which one? Now I am in PortLand. Its quite as big as other maps. Where do I find the fruits? ... omg a goblin killed me!"

Veggies southwest of raven- only a hop skip and a jump from the veggie patch southwest of raven to the tavern.

Right, so ppl usually tell newbies when they see some to go there? I'll pay attention on that when I'm next to Raven.

Blue Lupines in Portland- granted they don't pay as much as lilacs did, and you need MM cloak or perk (or lvl 21 def), but there is a 3x BL bush not far from the flower shop in north portland.

PL: please see above

I for one am happy to see the flowers gone. It was pretty depressing when I worked hard to get what I have and didn't take the easy way out, saved for weeks and weeks to get a MM cloak (back when they were still 10k), only to see people that have played less than 24 hours running around in an MM cloak asking me how do I eat? 

I agree. But a MM cloak is somewhat different to a leather armor!

This game isn't supposed to be easy, and I think the recent changes will help boost the economy a bit, because it cut out one source of easy money.

Sure. But when ... lets say a 15 yo new player ... dies doing the _tutorial_ five times its GAME OVER -> means (s)he'll leave the game for good.

I really salute players which got that far as you got having no help at all. But IMHO thats not realictic to play the game that way.

When I do critizize that doesnt mean I dont like the game... I like if a lot... I wouldnt spend that much time playing it if I did not. Nontheless the start is much too heavy!

I hate bagjumpers, and always return bags to people who lose them.

Although, it is part of the game.

:)

Some people might want to be a "thief" class...

I think it should just be left without traps, but people really shouldn't do it.

Thievery will NOT be removed from the game. Trust me!

So if thievery is a profession players can choose, there should be thief-related actions/skills as well!

! Curse casting and trap making for everyone ! :D