Eternal Lands Official Forums
Jezebelle

recyncing client

How can it be that a client is so much recyncing that you cant play?

Its running under windows xp pro and has a ati 3d rage lt pro 8mb graphics card.

The machine works fine and has 320 mb, it ust cant run EL properly.

The machine is on a LAN network and connected to the internet by cable

I set the ini files to poor man and the performance on best.

Any ideas?

*hugs*

Jez

There should be no relation between poor_man and lag, unless your cpu quota usage grows really high for a continued period of time. I think the problem could be in the network. Check:

1.- #ping, both in game, and from a console (ping eternal-lands.solexine.fr)

2.- Make sure that your firewall settings are not so restrictive to play el.

3.- Use some kind of monitoring program to monitorize your cpu and mem usage before, during and after you use the el client.

4.- Make sure that you haven't a worm virus or something similar being catapulted thru your net, that could be the cause of laggy net traffic, and maybe ping could reflect that as well.

< edit typos as usual :P >

Edited by m_bee

......and has a ati 3d rage lt pro 8mb graphics card.

174831[/snapback]

Are you sure about the 8 MB? that would be totall insufficient for most applications I think.

the ATI rage card is really really old and if you got such a card in you pc, your pc is usually really old (by old I mean PIII CPU and older).

So believe me, buying a new graphics card is futile, as long as you keep the rest of your PC.

A current, average buisness computer is more than enough for an application like eternal lands and not as expensive as you might think. So maybe you should consider buying a new PC.

by old I mean PIII CPU and older

You just broke my heart. A P3 is old!?!?

Anyway, Jez, as I told you, I think it's the video card. I seems unlikely to me that it's the connection, and I suspect the machine's connection is shared with yours. However, just to be sure you can #ping on both machines, and see if one gets a significantly higher value than the other.

i have same problem with this config

win xp pro

athlon 64 3ghz

1gb memory

nvidia fx5700 256mb

connected by lan

adsl 20mb

a lot of resync since the last updates....

i have all last drivers, no virus, my window is clean, i tryed with linux and got the same

not each time but some times i have resync each 5 seconds

Edited by shenriss

I'm not sure you get resynch problems from old hardware - I think it's more likely you would get a very jerky screen / low fps. But I'm not sure how hardware problems manifest in the EL app, so I could be wrong.

Therefore I think the most likely cause of the problem lies in your connection, either the EL server, internet, your local trunk, your lan, or your pc connection.

If it doesn't happen to all users at the same time, it isn't the EL server.

If you get this problem fairly regularly, it isn't the internet (you would need a serious/catastrophic event for this anyway), and I doubt it's your local trunk.

Therefore it's either your lan or your pc connection.

LAN:

Does your lan have heavy users, ie, ppl who download stuff, or stream data? Are there ppl who have kazaa or whatever running all the time?

PC CONNECTION:

Does your pc have background services running, or adware or spyware?

Close all other programs. Use spybot and Lavasoft to find ad/spy ware. Do you have kazaa or similar? If so - I would uninstall them. They come with other stuff that is very invasive.

Obviously you have checked for viruses.

These are only the first checks. After these comes the router/switch checks, etc.

I had a router with an intermittent problem - was the devil itself to track down. Replaced it and all fine now!

(edit: sp)

Edited by MarantZ

My hewlett packard runs an auto updater that unless shut off will slow down el quite a buit and cause lots of resync. I suggest Ctrl+Alt+delete before you play an check to see if you have any automatic agents running.

I'm not sure you get resynch problems from old hardware - I think it's more likely you would get a very jerky screen / low fps. But I'm not sure how hardware problems manifest in the EL app, so I could be wrong.

Therefore I think the most likely cause of the problem lies in your connection, either the EL server, internet, your local trunk, your lan, or your pc connection.

If it doesn't happen to all users at the same time, it isn't the EL server.

If you get this problem fairly regularly, it isn't the internet (you would need a serious/catastrophic event for this anyway), and I doubt it's your local trunk.

Therefore it's either your lan or your pc connection.

LAN:

Does your lan have heavy users, ie, ppl who download stuff, or stream data? Are there ppl who have kazaa or whatever running all the time?

PC CONNECTION:

Close all other programs. Use spybot and Lavasoft to find ad/spy ware. Do you have kazaa or similar? If so - I would uninstall them. They come with other stuff that is very invasive.

Obviously you have checked for viruses.

These are only the first checks. After these comes the router/switch checks, etc.

I had a router with an intermittent problem - was the devil itself to track down. Replaced it and all fine now!

(edit: sp)

175541[/snapback]

it's my job you know :angry:

i have better configuration as possible for optimized my material, i have resync since last updates of the game...

In general I've noticed many more resyncs as well, so there might have been some changes some place that are making it worse as well.

I'm running a 64mb nvidia geforce 4x pci video card, 768 mb ddr ram, 2.53 gh Intel proc and WinXP and my system still resyncs like mad. The only thing I can do is disconnect from the internet several times and finally it will stop.

Edited by LadyWolf

Seems to me that if ppl have resynch problems and want help it would make it easier to diagnose problems if they could include the following:

1. Do the above checks (no file sharing, no data streaming, no other apps open, no ad/spy ware, virus checked, etc) and confirm here that they did this and still have problems. This will avoid repitition of advice.

2. Outline their hardware.

3. Outline their network (if applicable). Include size of lan, amount of typical usage (students in a hall downloading? At home streaming data?).

4. Your highest/lowest fps.

5. Your connection type and speed (broadband? Dial up? 2mb? 56k?)

6. How long you have had this problem? (Since update? Today? Weeks?) and frequency (Everytime you log on? Every couple of days?)

7. Do ctrl alt del and write down number of Applications, Number of Processes, and CPU usage.

8. Ping the EL server and write down the response times during a resynch episode, and a non resynch episode. (During a resynch episode there could well be some 'ping timed out' messages. Keep trying and write down what results you do get when/if you do get a response).

This way a lot of the typical problems will be sorted during the first stage, and there will be some info for ppl to have a go at suggesting what to do for the next steps.

It will also give a picture of what CAN be expected with certain setups as well! ;)

(sp)

Edited by MarantZ

You have all my system stats on a separate thread. I get one, two or three resync messages at game start and map change pretty much guaranteed no matter what the network/memory load is - with the new graphics mods in place there is some _heavy_ abuse of the cpu and gpu, so they really should be expected, <wytter>for a short while at least.</wytter>

You have all my system stats on a separate thread.

Not just for me - for anyone who cares to help.

And I am not going to trawl through the threads. If you want help then please do the courtesy of helping us help you by posting information here. ;)

Having said that - from the minimal info you haves supplied it seems it MIGHT be a hardware problem - the sudden increase in processing at start up and map changes is inducing resynchs. However it could ALSO be background services incurring processor overhead (and the map changes pushes it just that bit more), or background services or network activity, any of which you could have running at abnormal levels anyway, and the map changes etc just give them extra load therefore resulting in a resynch. Or it could be anyone of a number of other things.

This is why if you, or anyone else, supply the requested info people can give much more guided advice! :ph34r:

(sp)

Edited by MarantZ

i have same problem with this config

win xp pro

athlon 64 3ghz

1gb memory

nvidia fx5700 256mb

connected by lan

adsl 20mb

a lot of resync since the last updates....

i have all last drivers, no virus, my window is clean, i tryed with linux and got the same

not each time but some times i have resync each 5 seconds

175004[/snapback]

I didn't have time for proper testing but I believe the issue to be the athlon64. I recently built a athlon64 3.4 with a gf5600 1gig ram. It performed relatively poorly on every operating system I tried. It works superbly with other things even when running GL.

I didn't have time for proper testing but I believe the issue to be the athlon64. I recently built a athlon64 3.4 with a gf5600 1gig ram.  It performed relatively poorly on every operating system I tried.  It works superbly with other things even when running GL.

176780[/snapback]

this config work better than p4 3ghz for all things exept making video file, i have same problem with my penthium 4, i think there's problem with internet, not at home but between me and the serveur...

A rough idea of what can be achieved....

I have a P4 (1.7) and a Radeon 8500, half gig memory - hardly cutting edge!

I have no viruses and no ad/spyware.

I don't have any other apps open when I play EL other than a couple of browser windows, and maybe an office application.

I am on a Lan, behind 2 routers, both subnets have less than average usage.

I have a 2mb broadband connection.

I have fps ranging from 15 - 120 and rarely have resynch problems!

Edited by MarantZ

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.