Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vaea

Suggestion: Level And Exp

Hello everyone!! In-game I am known as Vaea and many of you may know (or not) that I do not fight...

Now we begin this game by receiving 3 levels in Attack and Defense.My proposition (that I have discussed with Lotharion already) is to have the programmers maybe make an option to erase levels in certain skills as well as exp.

This would be much like the #reset option in the game..

Many such as myself would greatly appreciate it because as I've been playing...I've regretfully gained some exp. in the fighting arts mistakenly before obtaining the MM perk ...

Thankyou all for taking the time to read this!! :blink:

Edited by Vaea

If you don't want to gain experience in a given skill don't use it.

So, if you do not want to gain fighting experience, don't fight.

I don't want to fight...but when I was a Newb I didn't know about the MM perk, and I gained Exp in fighting

I think there should be the option to have A/D = 0

And stat builders like myself would appreciate if it could be done no other place does that and this could be the first

Edited by Vaea

I don't want to fight...but when I was a Newb I didn't know about the MM perk, and I gained Exp in fighting

I think there should be the option to have A/D = 0

And stat builders like myself would appreciate if it could be done no other place does that and this could be the first

163936[/snapback]

why? the only down side to getting levels might be that you gain slightly less when you're over the recomended level, and if you don't do it anyway... that's not an issue.

so how does dropping your skill help any?

I've regretfully gained some exp. in the fighting arts mistakenly before obtaining the MM perk ...

163863[/snapback]

So I take that to mean that something attacked you and you obviously got some exp in that fight (or more than one)...

But why is that a problem? What possible difference does it make to accidentally get some experience in a skill that you don't choose to do? It doesn't take away from your other skills, you don't get less experience somewhere else because of it...

:( I guess no one sees my point....

I just thought if it wasn't to hard to be done that it would be nice for people who don't like to fight...

Obviously I was wrong although I am still hopeful that my wish will come true..It isn't really a problem, but in Role Playing I enjoy only having exp. in certain things. I enjoy a challenge...... I also thought others might like the option to erase exp and levels from a certain skill..... I mean why have #reset? If you have pickpoints all it can do is help so why erase previous ones used and start over?? Of course I really like the #reset option...

Options are good, the more you have the more people can enjoy the game. Plus its something not offered anywhere else ^^

Edited by Vaea

:blink: Ok, you`re making no sense wot so ever. Why is it so bad to have extra experience?? Thats one of the main purposes in the game, to gain experience. If you`re roleplaying and faced with two screaming orcs charging towards you swords drawn.....what are you going to say, "No I`m sorry I`m not going to fight you, I dont want any combat experience, so if you just let me pass, I`ll be on my way" Then as ya laying in a pool of ya own blood.....ya life force draining away....ya suddenly think, well maybe a little experience wouldn`t be too bad. If you dont want to fight anymore, dont, nobody is forcing you too. But when you 1st start out, killing a few bunnies is a good way to gain a few levels and make a little money. Att / Def XP isn`t taking away XP from anywhere else, it adds to your OA levels. Taking away your att/def XP wouldn`t make any difference to your character at all. Resets are used when people want to respend their PPs, or change Perks, again, gaining att/def XP makes no difference to that wot so ever. If you read a good book, would you want someone to take away that knowledge?? How do you gain anything by that?? Maybe its just me, but I`m sorry, I really cannot see your point on this :huh:

:blink:  I guess no one sees my point....

I just thought if it wasn't to hard to be done that it would be nice for people who don't like to fight...

163968[/snapback]

Having fight lvls at 3 is like being Gandhi in this game, rest assured, you are not a fighter in any way shape or form. You can safely role play your non-fighter.

Its ok WildCard Im kinda weird ^^

Just nice to have an option like that :-P

Lets leave the rest to the Programmers

Edited by Vaea

Its ok WildCard Im kinda weird

164049[/snapback]

Vaea, lets see if a scenario can illustrate what you are looking for. What do you want your character to do when attacked?

• Abolutely nothing, stand and wait to die? Not currently an option, since the character will respond automatically.
  • Defend and hope to flee? Implemented by holding the "Home" key when attacked, but if the attacker is the aggressor there isn't anything to stop it from re-enaging you. Either way, you will get defence experience, and some attack.
  • Something else?

I fail to see any advantage in this, moreso, I fail to see any point in this.

Sorry, but I cannot see any real problem either...

I fail to see any advantage in this, moreso, I fail to see any point in this.

Sorry, but I cannot see any real problem either...

164137[/snapback]

I assume that Vaea wants the character to be an absolute pacifist? No reason in game terms, but may be due to role-play intentions. Though as described, there isn't any game mechanism to enable or enforce this (closest would be a negative perk to always only defend and disengage).

Pay Entropy $5 and he'll remove your excess experiance.

Now why you are even worried about it I don't know, but at least there is a way to get rid of the exp.

Pay Entropy $5 and he'll remove your excess experiance.

Now why you are even worried about it I don't know, but at least there is a way to get rid of the exp.

164141[/snapback]

That doesn't help him when he accidentally clicks on that bear walkin from lakeside to raven....he will get experience all over again. I think he wants those skill counters locked/frozen permanently.

No, actually, all Vaea's asking for is something like a #reset <skill> command, which would basically set any skill you define as zero.

So, in Vaea's case, he/she would like to #reset attack and #reset defence. If exp happens to be gained accidentally via combat, the #reset <skill> command can be used again.

Actually, I do kinda like this option myself. I can perfectly understand where Vaea's coming from... I want to roleplay a pacifistic healer, but I apparently have 3/3 in attack and defence when I don't want it. Likewise, the Mrs Lorpak quest gives me unwanted Manu exp.

For those of you who are talking about the idiocy of losing exp/skill levels... remember that not every player is focused on just achieving the max amount of exp they can get. Some prefer to roleplay, and will even take losses in exp if they can tell their story better. Since Vaea's a "stat-builder", I presume he/she wants to have a perfect stat record to support his/her role.

Now, can this be done fairly easily? It should just be a simple modification of the original #reset command, by the looks of it.

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

Fair enough.

I guess it will boil down to whether the difficulty level is worth it from a programmers point of view. :)

Thank you very much Lyanna!! You are the only one that understands where Im coming from ^^

Yes what she said is EXACTLY all that I want ^^

But if it can't be done...this is just a suggestion board...

Then again as I seem to be only one of a few that likes the idea.... it should be somewhat easy to implement?

Won't overload servers from over use ^^

Ty for listening and replying everone! :P

Edited by Vaea

A few things:

As for not being offered elsewhere, actually, this is somewhat like the Ultima Online system, where if you no longer use a skill, or don't want to gain, you can choose to reduce or lock exp. This only really matters when you reach their skill cap, which is 700 by default (can only get from 1 to 120(?) in any skill). Only difference is in that this game doesn't limit your exp. gains to necessitate this for gameplay.

As for "losing your knowledge", something similar was actually suggested before; to make books more valuable (by not using a book, you could forget the contents and be forced to read again).

I can see no gameplay benefit this could have, but it could be a god-send to roleplayers.

As for the comment about classes, while the game does not FORCE classes, there is no reason why players aren't free to choose to pursue only a certain class.

Here's my two cents.

Maybe we could be able to choose before starting the game in which 2 skills we would like to have this 3 levels (currently a/d). It would give the new players oportunity to decide about the char's development from the very beggining. On the other hand I am not sure if someone who starts playing EL, and doesn't have any idea about what kind of game it is, would know what s/he wants to become in game. Hmm ...

If there was a larger set of skills, then maybe players could choose which to learn (spending pickpoints, and/or research). Then give an experience bonus for having fewer skills active?

But maybe thats another game...

If there was a larger set of skills, then maybe players could choose which to learn (spending pickpoints, and/or research).  Then give an experience bonus for having fewer skills active?

But maybe thats another game...

164341[/snapback]

Yes, that would be another game.

Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!

Yes, that would be another game.
Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!

165019[/snapback]

Actually, nothing I said contradicts that. In fact it implements it quite well.

Edited by trollson

when eternal lands where first getting combat everyone started with 0 in both skills (you allso had a third skill, combat) but people complained that they died to much fighting rabbits. so entropy made new players start with 3 in each skill so as to make it easyer to start. now that we have more things to do in this game i wonder if those 3 levels are realy needed any more.

if your low of food you can allways head over to an area having vegetables and get some. or look for the bread-bag on isla prima (another leftover from the days when we had mandatory rather then recommended levels, you could basicly not pick vegetables or anything else unless your harvesting level was above a set point and newbies had the bad habbit of running out of food. maybe some still do).

as for pr skill resets, as long as you dont gain anything from it i dont see a problem. maybe one should allow for pr nexus and pr stat resets to?

remember that a reset do not recover points spent.

i allso dont se a problem of level locking as you then should not gain any exp for using said skill, so no overall increase either. only skill not lockable should be overall, unless someone feels like playing a eternal newbie that is.

i wonder how much coding this would take on the part of the server.

heh, maybe one should include a option for the mods to lock some ability of the character to punish the player for stuff done? or is that ability allready in?

allso, about classes or no classes. while there are no preset classes i do feel that the player should be restricted from becoming the best in all skills (maybe unless they take the penalty of slowed growth or something similar) so as to help the economy along. right now there is no need for specialized harvesters as anyone can do that given time. the same goes for every skill. but the user should do the picking so that they can form the character into what they want him or her to be. but when that is done we have to make sure that anyone can earn money from any skill, this means adding stuff that only a person trained in magic or summoning can make or do to earn money.

Edited by duran