Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kami

Quick Suggestion

Small Suggestion but one I feel is needing concideration.

How about we change the name of the "Potions" skill to Apothecary? It's a little more accurate being that the Making of Potions is more to do with simply mixing Drugs and Medicine and not quite as closely atuned to a form of Magic, which is so often assumed. (Although, technically, an Apothecary is one who "Mixes" Potions, not the process itself.)

Regardless, We need a new name; one that isn't so closely associated with Magic. Not only does giving the Skill a better name make the game feel more "authentic" and Archic but use of the word "Potion" has been used for so long in RPGs that it's been overly (and inaccurately) ingrained into RPGer's Minds. For years the word "Potion" has been use to Label Magical Exilers created by Witches and Magicians that bestow Magic Properties on the one who drinks it. I feel that that is not what this game in striving for.

Although it is true that the Magicially Learned Do Mix Potions as a Practice, it is not a true branch of the Magical Sciences. It should have a Name and a Branch all it's own.

Anyone else agree?

Edited by Kami

Just more confusing to newbies.. sorry. ;)

While we're at it, let's scramble their minds some more and rename 'attack' to 'skirmishing,' 'magic' to 'diabolism,' and 'harvesting' to 'garnering.'

Some things are just better left simple, Kami. ;)

While we're at it, let's scramble their minds some more and rename 'attack' to 'skirmishing,' 'magic' to 'diabolism,' and 'harvesting' to 'garnering.'

I think you've got something going there. Would be interesting to see a bunch of confused newbs running around not knowing why the skill they have been training seems to be gone. :lol:

Rabbit

Omg I just realized that I'm a forum newb ;)

Edited by Lord_Nightmare

the Making of Potions is more to do with simply mixing Drugs and Medicine and not quite as closely atuned to a form of Magic, which is so often assumed.

what do you do make potions in the bathtub of your house?

Not only is this a wierd idea but what puropse does it

Even serve....changing item names to

Represent exactly what an item

Does is crazy and a waste of time.

;)

Well, I like the idea, but I'm going with the 'too confusing' side... there's a ballance between being well set in the timeframe intended and being easy to learn/use.

(for a really extreme example, back in those days, how many people would have been able to write or even read? you could have some pretty shocking fonts to imitate this ;) )

But as I said, I like the idea, so if you come up with names that are as well based in the timeframe but still glaringly obvious, I'm all for it.

one other point, many people in EL don't speak english as their first language, many may not know a lot of english. They would know what 'potions' means, but maybe not 'apothecary'. anouther area where keeping it simple is safest.

one last point, if EL ever does get to the stage where you can load different language 'packs' to change all of the words client side, you'd be able to put together a 'fantasy' pack as well, for those who like that... setting up such a task isn't simple, though, so don't hold your breath for EL client to be completely translatable

:)

163238[/snapback]

i make potions in my bathtub when i need a large quantity, lol

:):P:P

Just more confusing to newbies.. sorry.  ;)

Some things are just better left simple, Kami.  :P

163218[/snapback]

Nothing to add. Or... you should remember that people all over the world are playing in EL. For some of us skirmishing/garnering would mean more less the same as 'natarcie'/'gornictwo' for you. That's why I'm for leaving it as it is - clear and simple and accurate.

Just more confusing to newbies.. sorry.  :)

Some things are just better left simple, Kami.   :D

163218[/snapback]

Only difference in that case is using such names are actually Less Accurate!

A Skirmish implys a short, Minor Dispute that avoids any direct conflict. Although I'll admit our Attack system isn't exactly "fighting" in true fashion, It is a Little more Like a "Melee."

Diabolism is too religiously provocative and it implies that our system is Based on Dark Magic as well and not true magic.

And Gardnering Implys that the skill only applies to Picking Flowers. While I'll agree that Harvesting is not much better and needs a new name also well, the available options aren't exactly veried.

Besides. If we're really trying to base a game of "simplicity" then all we'll get is a game meant for Simpletons! The Game's way too "dumbed-down" as it is! We should have some Class, Even if it means that it's players have to run to the Dictionary ever once in a while!

163238[/snapback]

Let's See:

Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble,

Eye of Newt,

Toe of Frog,

Wing of Bat,

and Blood of a Virgin

Mix in a Large Black Couldren until Ripe.

As uposed to:

Mix 1 Gram of Benzine in a three-part Solution of Onxy-Chorlindrate. Simmer on Low Heat until Mixture forms a thin film on surface. Add one part Chemical Derivative of Helianthus annuus until Color changes to light Orange. Maintain at Room Temperature.

Now. Which one sounds more like "Mixing Potions in a Bathtub" and which one sounds more like Actual Science?

Not only is this a wierd idea but what puropse does it

Even serve....changing item names to

Represent exactly what an item

Does is crazy and a waste of time.

:ph34r:

163238[/snapback]

Oh. god Forbid We deviate form RPG Tradition and Use a more Accurate word.

They would know what 'potions' means, but maybe not 'apothecary'. anouther area where keeping it simple is safest.

163252[/snapback]

As a matter of fact, the word apothecary is still more widely known and used in Many parts of the world;even more then in English speaking Countries, Like America, who would only know it from Video games! You really don't give people enough credit! Not every Country has it's school System in such of a Bad State of disrepair as America.

one last point, if EL ever does get to the stage where you can load different language 'packs' to change all of the words client side, you'd be able to put together a 'fantasy' pack as well, for those who like that... setting up such a task isn't simple, though, so don't hold your breath for EL client to be completely translatable

163252[/snapback]

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing that too. That could open some interesting Possibilities.

Edited by Kami

And Gardnering Implys that the skill only applies to Picking Flowers. While I'll agree that Harvesting is not much better and needs a new name also well, the available options aren't exactly veried.

garnering, not gardening. Yes, it's a rarely used word. but garnering means getting stuff, basically.

As a matter of fact, the word apothecary is still more widely known and used in Many parts of the world;even more then in English speaking Countries, Like America, who would only know it from Video games! You really don't give people enough credit! Not every Country has it's school System in such of a Bad State of disrepair as America.

163462[/snapback]

Well, if it's as well or better known, go for it.

I'm certainly not from America, though (see 'From' to the side)

Edited by ttlanhil

I happen to agree with Kami. I'd like more authenticity, and whats so wrong with newbies having to learn that Apothecary is 'potion making'?

I can safely say I had no idea what alchemy meant when I started (after coming from games such as EQ and MUD's).

I don't think the concern here is with newbies, i'd like a bit more authenticity and originality to continue in this game. After all, its what I started EL for - originality and authentic ideas.

Seriously, whats so hard about chaning a name? Are newbies REALLY going to be that confused.

In short, no.

Alchemy and potionmaking has a certain 'fantasy-feel' to it.

So it is not like making newcomers/oldbies learning something new, but to keep it non-RL.

A few examples:

In RL we talk about "physicians", in a fantasy setting we say a "healer"

In RL we say "scientist", in a fantasy setting we say "wonderbringer" or something similar.

It is all a matter of keeping it off from reality, it is about persuing a dream - a fantasy.

Oh, I'm all for the fantasy feeling.

I still think we can elaborate on some of our terms and item names, and still find names and descriptions that fulfill both the medieval fantasy and are more informative and authentic.

garnering, not gardening. Yes, it's a rarely used word. but garnering means getting stuff, basically.

163463[/snapback]

Oh. I just thought he misspelled it. I guess "Gathering" might be a slightly more accurate term in this case, Though I don't like that word. Too simplistic. <_<

someone needs a girlfriend................big time

<_<

163470[/snapback]

That's very good that you can finally come out and admit that. Acceptance is the first step to solving your problem.

But really, this isn't the place or time to go into your Love Life, is it?