Eternal Lands Official Forums

Personally, I like the deathbag system (*prepares to be shot*).  I don't think it's unreasonable to lose things when you die-I'd rather lose items than experience.  Also, it makes fighting fun for me :) I enjoy the adrenaline rush when I misclick or when I am feeling daring enough to wander a pk map.  Of course if I lose something valuable I'm upset for a few minutes, but in my opinion, this makes EL more of a thinking game. "Do I want to carry this with me and take the risk of losing it, or not take it and bear other consequences?"  I like the challenge, risk, and decision making that goes into evaluating whether you should carry a certain item with you or not, especially when you are pking.  I'm not a pker, but I would imagine that pking would not be as fun and exciting if there were no more "spoils".

Naturally, it's upsetting to lose things and also to have them not returned, and of course people complain.  But, they will NEVER stop complaining.  It is impossible to remove all complaints from EL-it's just human nature to find something to complain about :)

Technically, you can play EL without ever losing a single item, except while you are still brand new (harvesting events :) ). 

Furthermore, I think that the fact that there are deathbags gives people a chance to show their "true colors".  You recognize who is truly kind and who is truly greedy by observing whether they return deathbags.  It makes people who find a deathbag choose between being known as a kind player or being known as a theif.  This seems more fun to me even though I'm always mad at the person who stole my bag :)  Maybe it's just me....:P

Anyway, those are my thoughts for the day. :)  Please don't kill me for wanting to keep deathbags ;)

160670[/snapback]

I agree, having the items be bought back or simply disappear would for one thing smeg up pking, and also, with the current amount of monsters ingame you will have to train on something you are not ready for at one time or another.. or just get crap xp on something you can kill easy :P

There HAS to be a penalty for dying. It's your fault after all. I can't think of any MMORPG that would let you keep your stuff when you die without any consequences. EL is quite liberal, on dying you lose about 50% of your stuff, in RS or Ultima you lose everything you are wearing.

160516[/snapback]

If there has to be a penalty for dieing like in other MMORPGs, there should also be a penalty added to affect players who do loot like in other MMORPGs, IMO. Simply put, if someone wants to play a dark character, let them pay the consequences.

Where my addition to this is from: Ultima Online - When you die, you drop everything that you have, except for certain "blessed" items, and anything you "insure". Now, yeah, you have to fight your way passed whatever monster to get your stuff back, or someone can loot you. But, if they loot your corpse, they go "Criminal", which makes it hard for them to go to town or interact with NPCs.

Maybe someone's already suggested it elsewhere, but I think we should have a set system of "good vs. bad" ingame. (Again, also from UO.)

Although, I do like the solutions Lyanna, ProJoe, and Crannog posted.

EDIT: I wonder, would the major PKers here like a title like "Murderer"?

Edited by Arnieman

If there has to be a penalty for dieing like in other MMORPGs, there should also be a penalty added to affect players who do loot like in other MMORPGs, IMO.  Simply put, if someone wants to play a dark character, let them pay the consequences.

160759[/snapback]

Why do we have to be like other MMORPG's??? I think most people here are here because it's something different. I get so tired of people saying something should be changed or can't be done or should be done because other games do or don't do it.

Actually the terms robbers (chiefly for player killers) or looters (chiefly for so-called bag jumpers) would fit better IMO. And we should not forget about them, removing death bags would completely prevent robbery, making lots of characters useless and the game even more calculable. Please don't expect dozens of new quests to be implemented just for returning items lost when dieing.

The UO system sounds somewhat attractive to me, though I think karma should remain something informal, as it is hard to expatiate rules for it, and they could never be a replacement for human judgement. If you kill, loot or scam, you'll have a hard time when trying to trade, for instance. This doesn't affect NPC, of course, but if you ask me there're too much NPC anyway. Why a storage NPC? This is a perfect job for a bot. All you need is lockable rooms and storage objects*. Voilà, you have storages, furthermore, they are market driven and thus would have suitable fees, so you wouldn't have to wonder about fair taxes.

Got somewhat offtopic, sorry. I hope you got the basic idea: this game relies on player interaction, and death bags are an important part of that. We still need more ways to make players interact, and thus removing one is probably not good an idea.

With regards

Lachesis

*) coming along with the new storage interface

And remember, I'm not a fighter either.

160498[/snapback]

or a player ;/

or a player ;/

160822[/snapback]

Not much of one currently, but I have a lot more hours playing under my belt in EL then other people.

Personally I think the current system works pretty well, but Lyanna's Reaper idea has some merit, I don't know which I would choose if forced to.

Regarding Aislinn's comment about originality.

I didn't start to play EL because it was different - I played because it's free, sorry to break it to you, but I suspect it isn't just me, either.

Games like UO have become so popular because their ideas work.

Some of the original ideas in EL seem to have been implimented for the pure sake of being different, which isn't always a good thing. Character classes, for instance, force players to make stark choices, and promote community spirit - you can't do everything yourself, so you end up becoming friends with those who can offer these services.

While I applaud the intentions of the makers, change for it's own sake isn't always the best option.

Why do we have to be like other MMORPG's???  I think most people here are here because it's something different.  I get so tired of people saying something should be changed or can't be done or should be done because other games do or don't do it.

160810[/snapback]

I bolded that for emphasis, for 2 reasons:

1.) While it would be nice if all the ideas in EL could be original, some importing of other ideas would be nice, IMO.

2.) I was making a point toward Mireille, so I emphasized the very point used in the argument Mireille presented.

Also, I think most people that are here are here because it's free. When I am here, I appreciate the work the developers have put into programming the game. But, Aisllinn, while I can somewhat sympathize that you dislike people bringing in an idea or shooting another down because of other games, I also think we CAN use other games to see what works for people, and what doesn't. Just because someone else does it, doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't, and the people who think that we HAVE to be completely different are the ones who irritate me.

Summary of that last paragraph: Consider ideas on their merits, not whether someone does or doesn't do it.

Why do we have to be like other MMORPG's???  I think most people here are here because it's something different.  I get so tired of people saying something should be changed or can't be done or should be done because other games do or don't do it.

160810[/snapback]

I'm not saying that we have to be like other MMORPGs, I just think that good ideas should spread. And a penalty for dying is a good idea.

Regarding Aislinn's comment about originality.

I didn't start to play EL because it was different - I played because it's free, sorry to break it to you, but I suspect it isn't just me, either.

Games like UO have become so popular because their ideas work.

Some of the original ideas in EL seem to have been implimented for the pure sake of being different, which isn't always a good thing. Character classes, for instance, force players to make stark choices, and promote community spirit - you can't do everything yourself, so you end up becoming friends with those who can offer these services.

While I applaud the intentions of the makers, change for it's own sake isn't always the best option.

160855[/snapback]

Well I chose EL because I wasn't forced to make a class choice. I like to try it all. And I still become friends with others, and still trade/buy/sell with them too, even though I can do those skills myself. I don't know any all-arounders who don't do that.

And I think you will find that most people here could afford to play a p2p game, but choose EL because of it's differences. At least most of the adult players I have found see it that way. Of course there are the ones who chose it because it's free but I don't think that is the biggest reason people choose EL.

And no, of course good ideas should be considered, even if it's done elsewhere, but not if it jeopardizes what EL is all about. You misinterpreted what I said.

hahahahahahahah afraid to lose ur thermal Serp sword richboy ???!??!!?

Well I chose EL because I wasn't forced  to make a class choice.  I like to try it all.  And I still become friends with others, and still trade/buy/sell with them too, even though I can do those skills myself.  I don't know any all-arounders who don't do that. 

And I think you will find that most people here could afford to play a p2p game, but choose EL because of it's differences.  At least most of the adult players I have found see it that way.  Of course there are the ones who chose it because it's free but I don't think that is the biggest reason people choose EL. 

And no, of course good ideas should be considered, even if it's done elsewhere, but not if it jeopardizes what EL is all about.  You misinterpreted what I said.

161215[/snapback]

I play a few P2P games, Wow being my primary game right now, i'm an adult player, but I don't play for the oiginality, if truth be told it's the communtiy that has kept me here so far.

Jeeze, NO! Why WOULDN'T you allow deathbags.

If you don't like losing stuff, be more careful!!! How about if you die you get 10k and a thermal serp?

I honestly think this is obsurd. If you can't be careful enough with your stuff, or if your taking risks when fighting, take someone with you to watch your bag.

It really isn't that hard! Dropping items is one of the primary ways of helping the economy. If you take that away, you'll complain "the market suckz0rs!!~1"

:ph34r:

nice text placid the idee sucks really hard. Its your own problem if you die. Dont try to use magic restore @ level 21. :)

DONT REMOVE BAGS !

WHAT DO WE WANT! ...DONT REMOVE BAGS!!!!

WHEN DO WE WANT? ...NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well iono if it was mentioned..im lazy.. :) anywhooo, if you dont lose anything aka death bags, pk'ers oh hiya shiv, wouldnt have a reason to lvl, 2nd if it was just a damage thing like 100% u die = 95%, tankel..would be beaten to a bloddy pulp after a week lol....oh ya forming a kill tanekl guild pm me :)

I know this has been said time and time again, but it gives me chills when I am in VC or some place simular, and a newbie says, hey, whats in here? Oh, I just started today, and got mm, so wandering around...

Deathbags are part of this game, but if changes are to be made (game in Beta) in other games I played in the past, the body of the person who died stays, the higher the level of the person, the longer it stays, but all stuff drops on the body. You can recover the stuff, but if you are in a dangerous area(PK) you have to fight to get to it, without armor. after a while, maybe like 10 minutes, then somebody else could loot, or some other idea like that.

Just an idea....

I'm not a big PK like Shivar up there. I mostly work on my manu. BUT I still agree Death bags are part of the game. I hate bag jumpers like everyone else but you should loose stuff when you die. And a PK should be allowed to collect their spoils. Its part of the game and if I go in to a PK map and get PKed or die fight gargs I expect my bag might not be their when I return. If it is I just won the lotto. If not no biggie I should have known better than to die.

Imagine this

You kill a rabbit what happens when it dies it dissapears for there is no bag

Or youre pking and you fight a hard fight and theres no death bag

the list goes on

leave the bags

You die too bad if you just lost xp every one wouldnt be afraid to die

I say leave it the way it was

And that is all

Tootles <_<

Imagine this

You kill a rabbit what happens when it dies it dissapears for there is no bag

Or youre pking and you fight a hard fight and theres no death bag

the list goes on

leave the bags

You die too bad if you just lost xp every one wouldnt be afraid to die

I say leave it the way it was

And that is all

Tootles <_<

163918[/snapback]

And, in addiction, consider also this: milliions of newbies attacking high level players in pk, and making them fight untill they get bored, because they have nothing to lose.

Dude, you are dying, there have to be any negative thing in that, no? :(

Ok, my sugestion was that you drop all your stuff, but have to fight to get it back, in the case of a non pk, area, thats where mm comes in handy, but nobody can loot your stuff for so many minutes.... if its pk, you still can get it, but you just have to be patient, and cant take it and run, when they come back, then you have to kill them again, so they cant get there stuff, until the time runs out, when you can loot. (gives others the opertunity to kill you, while you are waiting to loot...)

Does this make sence...

And for the nonfighter...? Mother nature is nasty, and people still want their stuff back from her.

I think it should stay the way it is, perhaps a 10% out of the 50% already for it to just go *poof*, and hell should be more challenging. Getting a deathbag back should be an accomplishment, not a requirement.

hmm remove rostogol stone and then u cant lose items til u reach a/d 40