Eternal Lands Official Forums
Brom

EL Live CD

You want to make the game bigger? I dont know how difficult it is to create a liveCD but it would be really neat if we had one.

Here is the idea:

Somehow, someone, somewhere creates a liveCd (for those of you that do not know its a CD that boots in startup to its own OS, completely seperate from the Hard drive.) We load the newest version of EL onto it (no need for a large OS just something that can run EL and find networking, etc) then we (all of us around the world) download the ISO and burn lots of copies, take them down to our friendly neighborhood Cyber-Cafe's and throw them on the desk saying something like, "This is the best game in the world, simply put that CD into your CD-rom drive and restart" Volia, a new person who likes EL.

Downside, the server is already getting bogged up, if we were to get that many new people wow we might need a few servers.

Another Downside, new versions of EL will need to be reburned, this one is not that hard to fix. I for example would only place 5-10 of these CD's on the front desk with a nifty sign highlighting some of the games appeals (FREE MMORPG) and when the new version comes out I would play frissbee with the rest of them, just like I do with all my AOL CD's.

Positives, you could take one of these CD's with you on a roadtrip, throw it into your grandmothers computers and play there, without installing anything on it. MUAHAHAHA.

Another positive, go over to your friends house, put it in his CD rom drive and leave :unsure: when he turns the computer on, Bam he is in EL :)

Note: this I think is a little out of our power at this point but, yeah it would be sweet :)

Great idea! One problem: If you need to post chatlogs online, you don't have a browser, and if it doesn't put anything on your harddrive, where are the chatlogs? Maybe an option in el.ini for that. But, yeah, it's a good idea. And how about it's also an installation disk so people who you give the disk to can update it without downloading the whole game again.

We could use some existing live cd as a base, maybe Morphix or Knoppix.

Get rid of unnecessary soft, install EL, nvidia module for nvidia cards and voila.

It wouldn't be very difficult.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Get rid of unnecessary soft, install EL, nvidia module for nvidia cards and voila.

Regards

Chryzopraz

this is stupid - no one will configure his inet con and maybe lan everytime s/he wants to play the game.

this is stupid - no one will configure his inet con and maybe lan everytime s/he wants to play the game.

Don't be quite so negative....

It has some serious technical challenges and may not even work... but it's worth thinking about.

The live CD versions of CD's could write to a temporary folder on a HDD couldn't they...

and I'm sure that a script could be written to detect, at least the most common vid cards/LAN setups (would not be easy, but could be possible).

There are some other serious challenges....

They would have to have the server update the client on every load automatically... (that could add up to a lot of bandwidth).

Would never be able to work on Every computer that the full client install would work.

Any significant upgrade to the client, even new maps and such, would mean a new release of the CD (and brand new coasters) :)

Et Al.

I think it is a good idea when the game is out of beta and is 'finished'.

Kenneth916

Right on! excellent advice

kl4Uz-

No! this is for testing, not for permanent play! of course the full version will still be avaliable. and recommended.

Chryzopraz

It sounds easy, let me add to your list Dynebolic, but its not THAT easy.

goatsgomoo

As liveCD's work they put files into your RAM, but a liveCD (at least this one) will be severly limited, just be able to Play el, Maybe browse the internet, but as I said, its not to play the game permantely, it is for people to get a taste.

Installation CD also, Excellent! I think this will be possible

Ive found another problem with this idea, Names, if we give out these CD's to friends and such, there should be a way to use a guest account, otherwise lots of crazy names will be created and used once, then never reused. humm. What do you think so far?

Edited by EWQ222

Regards

Chryzopraz

knoppix with a minimal base ... no kde ...no netscape ... only X and el .

This can actually work . Good ideea . For temp dir using a minimal ramdisk ... etc...

Maybe add the Linux install too. Just put the install files in a compressed folder, zip for Windows... whatever Linux uses for Linux.

Chryzopraz

It sounds easy, let me add to your list Dynebolic, but its not THAT easy.

It's not very easy, but it's not too difficult to try doing it.

I have already modified knoppix for my own needs. I removed some office applications and added one I needed. Also change in default startup parameters.

Changing default module and configuration for nvidia cards would be a little more tricky.

But it is doable.

Unfortunately I can't do that due to the permanent lack of time.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Does anyone have the knowledge/ability to actually create this. it would boost EL a whole lot. :) thanks for the nice comments.

Well, take it easy now. Think about hosting - a liveCD is a LARGE download. EL is not (nor will it be) a distribution.

It's not that hard to create a custom liveCD. The problem is hosting; I'd say concentrate on EL, that's what's important. A liveCD would of course be nice to have, but is not important imho.

Well, take it easy now. Think about hosting - a liveCD is a LARGE download. EL is not (nor will it be) a distribution.

E-mail it to a bunch of people with broadband and use Bit Torrent?

Look there is no such thing as an autoinetconfigurationscript, neither is there one that really autoconfigurates the hundreds of thousands of different networks and ics...

why don't just create a CD with an EL version that doesn't need to be installed? That wouldn't be a problem. And you could do it both for Linux and PC - and even for PPC with Panther or MacOS X

Much easier, same effect.

The only problem I see is that, since the game is unfinished, we update it pretty often. this will happen for at least another year, until we finish all the maps, add all the monsters, items, etc. After that, the updates will be more rare.

I think the best way to increase the popularity of EL is to convince some Linux distro to include it by default.

Yes, that would do it. What Linux Distro does not want to include an MMORPG on it :rolleyes: but I do see this point repeated and it makes sense, this is a great idea but not the right time. When the time comes Ill probably be back posting this topic again. Good luck.

You mean a CD with the entire EL file system? I did that. Copy-paste to hard drive, double click on el.exe, play.

even easier - the game would just create a temp file somewhere on the hd - the rest would stay on the cd

The fact that the client is not licenced under GPL makes it difficult for a linux distro to accept it on a default install I think.

The fact that the client is not licenced under GPL makes it difficult for a linux distro to accept it on a default install I think.

Why?

No. Only debian has such strict rules regarding licences. Other distributions can happily include EL client.

Regards

Chryzopraz

PS.

In fact in gentoo it is already included :P

No. Only debian has such strict rules regarding licences. Other distributions can happily include EL client.

Regards

Chryzopraz

PS.

In fact in gentoo it is already included :huh:

Last time I checked, the XWindows server is not GPL, and it's included in prety much any Linux distro, inluding Debian.