If you are too lazy, just check the notes below, it's a small summary of what I will be explaining.
I hope you've enjoyed my journey. I also hope I was able to answer most of your questions. If you have anything else to ask please do so, I will update this as I answer your questions. I'll be here waiting, or will I?... I know, you may think I'm a weirdo, but that's who I am. I might be a self controlled bot which belongs to Learner. I might even be a snowman in Trassian. Or wait, I might just be your imagination.... I might not even exist? *winks*
* You check the notebook: *
- Things involving real $:
- A guild map costs 200 USD. We have to talk to Entropy and Roja about how we have to pay.
- We can edit our map(if it is already in the game), but we have to wait for a client update for them to be implemented(unless it's a def file fix only, which you have to wait for a server update) It costs $10 to change/fix your guildmap each time you wish to send in a new version! This means you do NOT get unlimited uploads until the client update for $10. It is $10 per upload! So make sure you have all the things you want added and all the bugs fixed before hand.
- It is $10 for a .def file update and $10 for an .elm file update--so if you wish to update both your map and def file that would be $20.
- We can only change the entrances/exits if a fee of $10(USD) is paid specifically for this purpose. This does not include the $10 fee to update your map as described in the point above, it is extra. Also the entrances/exits must ALWAYS get approval by Roja first!
Things you can/cannot have:
- A guild map's size is 64x64, which is four times bigger than Isla Prima.
- We have to choose where we want the guild map's entrance & exit. They must both be on the same continent. There can only be 1 entrance and 1 exit.
- The entrance can be any map except for other guild maps and Isla Prima, and any object as long as any existing map isn't altered in any way. (Entrances have to be approved by Roja)
- The exit cannot lead to portal rooms, the underworld, another guild map, or any other "strategic" location.
- We can only have one harvestable object; a fruit.
- We can make the map ourselves, or we can get a mapmaker to make it. Getting a mapmaker to make it would be better.
- Gather some ideas for the map with the guild.
- We can't have special teleport rings.
- We can't restrict the map to guild members only.
- We can't have Storage NPCs.
- We can't have fast regeneration areas, nor can you have fast reading areas.
- We can't have summoning areas either.
- We can't have areas that give you extra experience.
- We can have multi combat areas.
- We can have PK areas, or even a battle arena!
- We can have cold/heat/poison damage areas.
- We can not have campfires.
- We can not have books.
- We can test it out on the test server-but only after we have paid for the map.
I am here to enlighten you on the subject 'Guild Maps'. Have you ever wondered what these cool maps are? Or ever wondered how you can have one for your guild? Ever searched for details, but couldn't find any? Then this guide is for you! If you haven't wondered before, I'd still suggest reading; it might come handy later on, hehe.
I'm about to take you on a journey, you will learn many things on the way. Well, are you ready?... Oh ok, nature's calling eh? I'll wait......... back? Great! Here, take a seat and relax. Oh, you might want to take notes as well.
* Clicks fingers and the surroundings suddenly become white. Two wooden stools and a notebook suddenly appear. *
Right, now that you're comfortable I'd like to get started. We're currently in an empty program which is located in the Matr- in your imagination. Heh.
A guild map costs 200 USD. Yes, I know what you're thinking, it's too much. This is the hardest part, once you've passed this barrier the rest will be a cake. And I can tell you that it is worth it, imagine a whole town or a big dark cave which belongs to your guild! How cool is that? You can have guild meetings in your hall, you can gather around and tell stories by your campfire, you can invite friends and show them around, or you can just sit down and relax in your hot water spring. Thirsty?
* Clicks fingers and suddenly two bottles of ale appear. *
Heh, I just love my fingers.
You might want to contact Entropy or Roja about the cost and the payment of the guild map. Eternal Lands is a free game which is probably the best reason of it being so great. Developers and volunteers give so much time to help make and maintain it. And this is where the cost comes in. We can call it a way of supporting the game creators.
Now, I'm pretty sure you have dozens of questions in your mind. I'll try my best to answer them all. How big is a guild map? Well, think of it this way. We all know the size of Isla Prima, right? A guild map is four times bigger than IP. Wow, I know! That's huge.
Where's the entrance to your guild map going to be? Well that is absolutely up to you! It can be anywhere your guild wants, Desert Pines, Portland, Valley of the Dwarves, Tarsengaard, anywhere. But I don't think Isla Prima would be a relevant place. Oh, you can't have entrances or exits to other guild's maps, neither can you have exits to portal rooms. That's just plain selfishness! You also cannot have exits/entrances to both continents, only one, so choose carefully!
How do you get in? Well, in Eternal Lands we use the 'use' button to enter and exit places, you know, the pointy icon? Guild maps are just like this, just choose an object in the map you want the entrance. It can be a light pole, a tree, a rock, a crate, a sign, a book, anything... but I'm afraid we're not allowed to edit the existing maps to meet your likings, sorry. Oh, you're allowed to have one entrance and one exit. One thing though, you can't have the entrance/exit strategically chosen. For instance, one in the Morcraven Marsh caves and the other near a storage... Hehe.
Harvestable objects and spawns you ask? That's an easy question.
* Clicks fingers and suddenly a white rabbit and a diamond appear. *
Don't ask me how I do the clicking thing, I don't even know. It's actually here to gain attention, heh.
I'm so sorry to say this but, we're not allowed to have anything harvestable or have any spawns (creature and item) in guild maps as it can cause many problems. You can have flowers or crystals in your map, but they just won't be harvestable. There's an exception though, you are allowed to have one harvestable object, and that's fruit. Let me guess, you're bored?
* Clicks fingers and suddenly a remote control appear in your hands. *
Just think of a song you'd like to listen to and click the pink button... Great, let's continue!
Ok, you're wondering who actually makes the guild map, aren't you? Well, there's a file called 'map_editor.exe' in your EL directory. You can always try making your guild map yourself, but it can get very hard and not so good if you don't know how. Most guilds let the official mapmakers do the job, as they're experts and do it professionally. But they will want a payment, as they have to work on it for many days, weeks or even months. If you don't have the talent for it, titanium mining is simpler than mapmaking.
If you're going to get a mapmaker to do it for you, I'd suggest gathering ideas from your guild mates. Have small meetings, or make a thread on your forums and discuss what you want in your map. How would the map look like? Would it be a snow/desert/jungle/volcanic map? Would you want anything specific like meeting halls/statues/fireplaces/houses? You can find a list of official mapmakers on the Eternal Lands website, under the 'developers' section.
Also, here's something very important to know. If you're going to have houses/tents/buildings and want them to be enterable, the insides or interiors, which ever suits you, will have to be on the same map, on the one guild map.
You can test your guild map on the test server before it gets implemented. You can edit your guild map when need be. But you'd have to wait for a client update for the changes to take place. But remember though, from now on you can only send updates/fixes of your map and your definition file to us ONCE every update.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
You don't get to have special teleport rings to your guild map. You can't restrict the map to guild members only. You can't have any Storage NPCs or Chat NPCs or anything like that in your guild map, it ruins the concept of it being a private/secret place. You can't have fast regeneration areas. You can't have fast reading areas either. You can't have areas that give you extra experience points. You can have lightable campfires. Cold/Heat/Poison areas are allowed. You can have multicombat areas in your guild map. You are allowed to have a Guard Bot which costs extra money; it'd protect the map from unwanted guests. And this means you can have PK areas, or even a battle arena. You have the choice of making some areas of the map PK and other's not. But unfortunately you can't have summoning areas, they're just like the fast reading and regeneration areas, too much of an advantage. Heh.
* Clicks fingers and suddenly a sand clock appears. *
When would it get implemented? Well, you'd have to wait for a client update. That is if your map is finished and ready to be implemented. Just be patient, as it is your most powerful weapon. If you've paid for your guild map, it will be implemented. Well, I'm exhausted; I hope you've taken notes.
Until we meet again,
- Sistema Silverwish.
* Clicks fingers and you suddenly snap back to reality. *
Edited by Roja, 10 May 2011 - 07:55 PM.