Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

The Responsibility for Rraisa the Spambot

Of late every bot owner is probably getting a bit sick of this constant barrage of messages from Rraisa...

[09:06:12] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #wanted]
[09:06:23] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #invr]
[09:06:40] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #wanted]
[09:06:56] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #invr]
[09:07:13] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #wanted]

[09:28:29] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #wanted]
[09:28:40] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #invr]
[09:28:57] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #wanted]
[09:29:29] [PM from IWannaRock: PM received from Rraisa: #invr]

Usl has not logged in for over a year (per mercator), and no one else has claimed any responsibility for handling Rraisa.

If no one can reach Usl to get this fixed, or can claim to fix it themselves and take responsibility for this bot, then Rraisa needs to be banhammered until someone does fix it. (Regardless of its supposed usefulness.)

Edited by Burn

I tried a boot to see if that restarts the bot, it looks like it might have.

If that works, fine. I'd rather not kill a bot that has been paid for without a very good reason.

Otherwise, perhaps you can get your bots to ignore Rraisa (yes, I know that makes her

less useful, so does locking her).

Oh, and just to be crystal clear, the above does not mean I am (or want to be) in any way responsible for Rraisa.

This was just a stopgap to alleviate the problem.

Edited by revi

Seems to have done the trick for now at least. Last couple hours have just been the normal occasional single PM.

(But yeah, hammering it until someone could fix it is a last option, if there were no other means to kill the spam.)

Given that any PM to/from Rraisa to your bot is uninteresting and this is not the first time I heard people get annoyed with bot PMs, it might be a good idea to have some way to disable PM forwarding in your bot client for communication between bots.

While that sounds completely reasonable (just like an option to have your bot ignore players or bots),

you might have a better chance of success proposing that to your bot coder/hoster. Or switch hoster, or code

your own bot and host it yourself (not realistic in many cases)

There is no way the EL client can take care of that, and no (reasonable) way for the server to do it, either.

Keep in mind that bot code has basically nothing to do with the client code (other than that it's easier

to grab some functions you need anyway from the client instead of reinventing the wheel)

Basically all that can be done from the EL side is locking a troublesome bot or banning the hosting IP

(and think of the effect that would have against an El-services bot...).

Actually there are ways to have bots ignore other bots. its set into the Botcode then that bots do not respond to other bots. this is done by a regular check on online_bots and player page. But rraisa would be an exception to it as people do want her to pm it.

On the other hand the problem with rraisa only happend because usl acidently started 2 instances of rraisa, which did do a fight on who gets to be online, and so started to asks for the item lists, went through some bots, got kicked out by other client who did do the same and so on. making  the same few bots to answer the same few questions over and over and over again.

It happens and after a contact mail to him it was looked after too.

Also revis kick of one of one instance of rraisa helped there too.

Edited by vinoveritas

It does beg the question:

Has Rraisa had its day?

I doubt many people still use Rraisa to check prices - and am thinking of getting my bots removed from Rraisa - anyone else?