Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DogBreath

Camo cape might hide name

Was thinking that the cape of passive camoflage might be more useful (if not more used) if it maybe hid the name and/or health of the wearer.

This could be countered by truesight or possibly enough perception, perhaps.

Please feel free to counter or add to this suggestion.

Awesome idea! :(

Would be a useful cape to have in PK and will probably be a favourable cape for the scammer/BJer. Imagine, a BJer grabs the bag contents and runs before anyone even knew who it was :)

Moderators would need to be exempt from this.

Does this imply the need for a #moderator on/off command, as a they would gain an added advantage in pk if not? If I understand what you mean: moderators need to be able to see names. But only if they're actually "moderating" at the time. If they're out pking, then they should switch it off?

Does this imply the need for a #moderator on/off command, as a they would gain an added advantage in pk if not? If I understand what you mean: moderators need to be able to see names. But only if they're actually "moderating" at the time. If they're out pking, then they should switch it off?

moderators are always on duty, even while playing if we see something needing our attention, we handle it.

moderators are always on duty, even while playing if we see something needing our attention, we handle it.

Yes, I understand what you mean. I guess I meant it like teleportation skills that a moderator might have, surely they can't 'use' those to their advantage in pk. I didn't mean to imply they aren't always on duty. :)

Sorry if it sounded that way... (maybe a #truesight on/off instead, for moderator pk only would have been a better way to say it)

Edited by DogBreath

No, we aren't allowed to use the teleport commands or any for that matter, for personal benefit.

However the problem with an on/off command for seeing names and/or other character info is that turning it on after the fact makes it rather worthless.

No, we aren't allowed to use the teleport commands or any for that matter, for personal benefit.

However the problem with an on/off command for seeing names and/or other character info is that turning it on after the fact makes it rather worthless.

I guess this would just be an added bonus of being a moderator then. :) (or possibly this is a reason not to implement this idea, depends how you all feel about that.)

Edited by DogBreath

I guess this would just be an added bonus of being a moderator then. :)

Lol well in the 4 years I've been here, I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone pking and even less for bagjumping :) . No bonus here :(

I guess this would just be an added bonus of being a moderator then. :)

Lol well in the 4 years I've been here, I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone pking and even less for bagjumping :) . No bonus here :(

hehe :)

Someone just asked me this, so I thought it'd be worth asking as well here. Does that mean perception has no effect on a moderator (meaning they have maximum perception so they can see at maximum distance no matter what?)

And, how does this affect the upcoming stuff that perception is part of? (sorry if we're drifting off topic...)

Someone just asked me this, so I thought it'd be worth asking as well here. Does that mean perception has no effect on a moderator (meaning they have maximum perception so they can see at maximum distance no matter what?)

No.

And, how does this affect the upcoming stuff that perception is part of? (sorry if we're drifting off topic...

It doesn't.

Not being able to see a name and more at all is a far cry from the perception factor, which is only a distance limitation, which we have anyway with or without a perception factor.

No.

And, how does this affect the upcoming stuff that perception is part of? (sorry if we're drifting off topic...

It doesn't.

Not being able to see a name and more at all is a far cry from the perception factor, which is only a distance limitation, which we have anyway with or without a perception factor.

Fair enough, ty for your thoughtful replies :)

I have allways been wondering why we actually DO see other people's name in combat/pk area.

It would be logical that we see the names of people we know/like, as in guildmembers and buddies,

but it isn't logical that we see the opponents name.

Without opponents name/health points/health bar, he can be sitting in a bush, where everybody walks past him and nobody sees him.

It truly adds more tactics to the pk (ambushes, who is fighting who, camo-cape more functional, etc. etc.)

:rolleyes: would make pk-life more interesting :laugh:

Edited by GarfieldClown

I have allways been wondering why we actually DO see other people's name in combat/pk area.

It would be logical that we see the names of people we know/like, as in guildmembers and buddies,

but it isn't logical that we see the opponents name.

Without opponents name/health points/health bar, he can be sitting in a bush, where everybody walks past him and nobody sees him.

It truly adds more tactics to the pk (ambushes, who is fighting who, camo-cape more functional, etc. etc.)

:laugh: would make pk-life more interesting :omg:

I agree.

But name should become visible when opponent attacks you, else it will be annoying :rolleyes:

If you want that, press alt-n, alt-h and alt-b :rolleyes:

You soon learn who people are from their basic appearance and clothing anyway.

If you want that, press alt-n, alt-h and alt-b :)

You soon learn who people are from their basic appearance and clothing anyway.

It's more about not being able to, not necessarily wanting to see no names. As someone else said, dress like your fav pker and who knows who you are? :P

What would be the difference between a person being unseen due to a cape, and being unseen due to distance/perception of the mod?

and also what about invis?

surely if mods can work with such issues already, a few people in rare capes are not a big issue?

Because nobody would be able to tell us who did the "crime" either. And to turn on the "see" command after the fact and the player is gone is rather pointless. I know if I had to juggle yet another command along with everything else, i would always leave it on anyway, and I expect all the mods would. *shrugs* Just one more hassle in doing an already difficult job.

Personally, I don't like the idea. I don't like the idea of people being able to be anonymous, and i think it hurts the idea of socialization in a mmorpg. I like seeing who people are, and personalizing conversation with a name, and knowing when I am conversing with the same person a second time. But if by some chance it happened to get put ingame, I really dislike the disadvantage it would put the mods at, especially with some of our players who will grab any chance they can get to make trouble, especially if they think they can do it anonymously.

Invisible is a royal pain in the ass for moderation, to put it bluntly. Luckily most of the issues that have arisen from it have logs that eventually we can piece together a reasonable scenario. But it sure wastes an awful lot of time and I sure as heck don't want more of the same hassles.

Awesome idea! :D

Would be a useful cape to have in PK and will probably be a favourable cape for the scammer/BJer. Imagine, a BJer grabs the bag contents and runs before anyone even knew who it was :D

It already is a useful cape for pk. Between the hours of 4-6, feel free to afk harv flowers in KF with it.

biggrin.gif would make pk-life more interesting

GarfieldClown: 

Physique:	20/20
Coordination:	26/26
Attack:	55/55
Defense:	56/56
PK Score:	0.000000 (Well you need >120 to get them anyway)

....OK :)

When I use this cape as its currently design for, people have to nearly run into me to see me.

Here is a suggestion. Try to actually use an item for a while before we suggest changes. Hmm? :icon13:

I think I will second robotbob's opinion here.

If one's perception is low one cannot spot people being far or using camouflage cape. Thus, you can't see this person name either. Once one has a high perception one can see other in greater distance and people using camouflage cape being not very far from him. Hence, it is logical that he can recognise a person he sees. Hence, he should know the encountered character name. All in all, this idea doesn't seem a good one. I would say it's pretty redundant.

That's from myself as a player.

As a moderator I have to admit that invisibility is a royal pain in arse. Especially during events I happen to run from time to time. I never can be sure whether players are cheating or not. Makes me unwilling to run any events that leave possibility of cheating. This feature would make my 'life' even worse. Thus, I'm strongly against it.

Maybe this implies moderators should have truesight on by default, and only a command to turn off if they're going to pk? Then it fixes the 'old' problem with invis and takes away any 'new' problems associated with this addition?

Just an added thought :)

Just like with invisibility, there is always a counter such as true sight. This cape won't be cheap of course, and as we all know, most rule breakers are low-levelled newbs. For the higher levels that could afford such a cape, this will come in handy for legal actions such as PKing and scamming inconspicuously.

As ville-v has pointed out, the name will appear when combat is initiated, but not before-hand. This way, low levels wont be pwned as soon as they enter a pk map and high levels wont have people running from them on sight. Much better imo.

Lets implement this idea into the camo cape!