Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

El 145 RC1 is here!

If you do not read everything, then make a mistake, and report it as a bug, you will be banned from the forums for a very long time

If you do not understand what you will read, either ask, or do not participate in this test.

Here are the instructions:

Download the sound and the installer:

Sound:

http://files.filefront.com/soundzip/;8928074;/fileinfo.html

Install:

http://files.filefront.com/el+145+install+...;/fileinfo.html

Run the installer. This should install EL in: c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands Test1\

If it doesn't by default, MAKE SURE IT DOES!!!!!!

After everything is installed, the el icon on your desktop will be pointed to this RC version, so if you want to run the normal el, you'll have to run it maually from the directory you installed it.

This RC contains files and code that is NOT compatible with the main server, so don't use it there! It's only for the test server use, and the el.ini comes configured accordingly.

Ok, now that you installed the RC, unzip the sound zip in such a way that it creates a /sound directory in the RC root/main directory.

Then start el.exe and enjoy. If there are problems, post them here, along with your machine specifications (OS, video, sound ram, etc.)

**For Windows Users:

Your Config directory is now located in: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\elc

The User is whatever user you are using or have it installed under.

This is where your el.ini will be located, along with your chat log, etc!

Major new things that need to be tested:

#1 and more important: sounds.

*Note that they are not finished yet.

-Testing fighting is very important, especially on a large scale, multicombat, different monsters/animals.

-Walk through different maps

-Play with all the sound options in the updated Audio window in the config panel.

Known issues-Please do not report these:

-There are not sounds for all animals or maps. Some areas will not have any background environment sounds.

-Some walkable areas will not have the correct footstep sound(such as you may hear water when walking over a bridge)-this happens because the footsteps sound comes from the ground tile, so if you are on a bridge over water and I did not define a "bridge" area, you will hear water footsteps.

#2. New character models.

Try on EVERY, and I mean EVERY wearable-visible accessory you have. When you do this, sit down & stand up. If you can, post a screenshot here, if not just describe the problem in detail.

Is anyone else having a problem with the link? I've tried it several times, but it always ends up with the

"There was an error processing your request. Please wait while your request is retried in 10 seconds..." error, and it doesn't matter how long I wait.

Edit: I appologize if this isn't a problem for anyone besides myself, and if the question isn't relevant.

Edited by LIGHTspeed

No problems installing but i did find a few bugs

the Tailoring skill comes with 42 exp and requres over 1k to get a level (not sure if intended)

bug2.jpg

SEcondly

small but the Engineering skill on the skills page shows up in only lower case bug1.jpg

ok when i try to go into a building, cave, or even swap maps i do not get a door icon as usual i must use the use icon to swap maps. has anyone else encountered this problem or is it only me?

Sound bug: I light the campfire, but the fire sound did not start for me. I had to turn off the sound and turn it back on, then the fire sound started.

Also, the fire died out, but the sound did not..it continues. And if i turn the sound off/on, it's still there.

Have this in the error log:

[22:54:51] Error creating buffer: Invalid Operation
[22:55:22] stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value
Last message repeated 7 times
[23:03:52] Error creating buffer: Invalid Name
[23:05:03] stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value
[23:05:51] Error creating buffer: Invalid Name
[23:07:02] stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value
Last message repeated 12 times
[23:21:55] Error creating buffer: Invalid Name
Last message repeated 1 time 
[23:22:03] Client closed

ok when i try to go into a building, cave, or even swap maps i do not get a door icon as usual i must use the use icon to swap maps. has anyone else encountered this problem or is it only me?

This is because your data directory is pointed wrong.

This option allows you to specify a directory other than the current directory to load data from.

This needs to be set to where you installed EL.

For Windows users, the default is "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\".

For Gentoo users, the ebuild installs in /usr/share/games/eternal-lands.

#data_dir = "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands Test1\"

Make sure the bolded line is where you are running the test el.exe file!

Sound bug: I get the gulping sound when using a potion through the inventory and quickbar, but I don't get it when I use the keyboard shortcuts (ie. Ctrl + 1-6).

edit: the same thing goes for vegetables. I'm pretty sure all items are like this..

Also, I found a typo in the description of Black Dragon Helm, it has "reistance" instead of resistance.

-Sist

Edited by Sistema

i was testing fighting, and i used a Evasion pot and the symbol didnt pop up at bottom left.

:/ not much but all ive seen to see wrong with mutli / fighting so far.

Edited by Zerobaum

I was testing multi with Shodo just now and my titanium greaves degraded, was wondering if that was suppose to show on counter or is it just when a item Breaks?

some of the spells have sounds, but the restore has the sound of a goat O.o intentional?

Yes, its intentional. At least, that's how its configured at the moment.

At first I didn't have very many sounds (just a few background sounds and some character ones) and so I needed something different to make sure it was working. For whatever reason someone had added the "sheep" sound into the collection and so I used that for my CVS test package.

Other sounds have since been made and Roja has included them into the config and changed things around, but she left restore with the sheep sound... maybe for old times sake.

Sound bug: I get the gulping sound when using a potion through the inventory and quickbar, but I don't get it when I use the keyboard shortcuts (ie. Ctrl + 1-6).

edit: the same thing goes for vegetables. I'm pretty sure all items are like this..

Yeah, I forgot about keyboard shortcuts. I added the sounds to the "click" events of buttons and things and most of the time keyboard actions trigger the same code as the mouse click and so it works.... but I'm sure there are places it doesn't work (like those). Please test them out so I can fix them all. :-)

the Tailoring skill comes with 42 exp and requres over 1k to get a level (not sure if intended)

There is a fix for this pending upload into CVS.

This was due to nobody removing the temporary data (probably so the client could be used on the main server).

small but the Engineering skill on the skills page shows up in only lower case

This appears to be correct in the code, so I have to assume it is a mistake in the translation files. Check languages/en/strings/stats.xml.

For Gentoo users, the ebuild installs in /usr/share/games/eternal-lands.

Gentoo users (have to) use the CVS client, because after last update when the ebuild maintainer asked for a list of FEATUREs for the official client, nobody knew/was able to supply that list (it's in Programming forum somewhere). (Using CVS client and no ebuild means: download data to somewhere which is unlikely to be /usr/share/... /usr/local/... is more likely, personally I'm not so orderly and just have it in a subdirectory of my home folder :unsure:; however if there was an ebuild, that path above would be correct :icon13:)

[ Results for search key : eternal-lands ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  games-rpg/eternal-lands
  Latest version available: 1.3.3
  Latest version installed: 1.3.3
  Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
  Homepage:	http://www.eternal-lands.com
  Description: An online MMORPG written in C and SDL
  License:	 eternal_lands

*  games-rpg/eternal-lands-data
  Latest version available: 1.3.3
  Latest version installed: 1.3.3
  Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
  Homepage:	http://www.eternal-lands.com
  Description: An online MMORPG written in C and SDL
  License:	 eternal_lands

Maybe for this release whoever builds the Linux client can note the features somewhere so we can get back into portage :P

Gentoo users (have to) use the CVS client, because after last update when the ebuild maintainer asked for a list of FEATUREs for the official client, nobody knew/was able to supply that list (it's in Programming forum somewhere).

<snip>

Maybe for this release whoever builds the Linux client can note the features somewhere so we can get back into portage :icon13:

The list of default features _should_ be whatever is set in make.defaults. When I returned to Australia (and time + internet access) I noted there was an issue and updated make.defaults correctly. However, the only features that needed changing were minor options should should never have affected the distribution or not of a new client release into a Linux distro.

As it turns out with this coming release all the code for new server features is built into the default CVS client options (except MINES), thus breaking it on the normal server as of about a week ago.

There is a fix for this pending upload into CVS.

This was due to nobody removing the temporary data (probably so the client could be used on the main server).

Yeah, I knew that was going to be forgotten. I didn't know the RC was about to arrive otherwise I'd have reminded folks. Anyway, I've removed the fixed values in my build and tried Entropy's formula, it works fine and exp advances to the next levels as expected. Counters work fine too.

some of the spells have sounds, but the restore has the sound of a goat O.o intentional?

Yes, its intentional. At least, that's how its configured at the moment.

Other sounds have since been made and Roja has included them into the config and changed things around, but she left restore with the sheep sound... maybe for old times sake.

Major new things that need to be tested:

#1 and more important: sounds.

*Note that they are not finished yet.