Eternal Lands Official Forums
dust

Old Laptop Works, New PC Does Not [SOLVED]

I just downloaded the new client on my laptop and it worked fine. My new PC is another story though.

EL will not start and I almost instantly get a MS Error Dialog box showing Eternal Lands Client Error. When I check the details, it shows the AppName - el.exe and the ModName - sdl.dll.

I tried using the sdl.dll from the 1.3.3. client and it will not work with the 1.4.0 build. I tried downloading sdl.dll and get an entry point error in the dll, so obviously that is no good.

I have also tried all the modified clients posted here without success.

My PC info is:

Processor - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 @ 2.66GHz

RAM - 4096MB

Graphics Card(s) - Radeon 8800 GTX with 768MB RAM and a Ageia PhysX Processor

Hard Drive Space - over 100GB free

Version of EL - 1.4.0

OS - Windows XP Professional SP2 with all updates and patches

No error_log.txt is created in the EL directory

Connection speed - 1.5MB

Nothing else is running - no Norton, no firewall, no TSRs, nothing.

Any assistance or advice you can offer would be appreciated. Playing EL on the laptop is a non-starter, as hubby normally has it with him.

Sounds like you need to disable the sounds in el.ini:

in your new EL folder is a file called el.ini, open it

look for a line that reads

#enable_sound= 1

and change it to read

#enable_sound= 0

save the file, and run the client.

I downloaded the client again and installed in onto a different hard drive (the boot drive vice an application drive). I get the same error as before. I disabled sound in the el.ini as well. No change.

The only real difference in the laptop and desktop is the processor. The laptop has a dual processor and the desktop a quad processor. Naturally the desktop has newer, more powerful components, but I do not understand why one would work with no problem and the other not.

I *guess*, with a lot of hard work, you can mess up the registry that much that windows changes the search order, where its looking for *.dll's.

That may be a difference between your laptop and your desktop pc. Maybe you installed a game or any other applicatiion which just messed up your registry on your desktop pc.

Well, just an idea :P

Piper

I *guess*, with a lot of hard work, you can mess up the registry that much that windows changes the search order, where its looking for *.dll's.

That may be a difference between your laptop and your desktop pc. Maybe you installed a game or any other applicatiion which just messed up your registry on your desktop pc.

Well, just an idea :P

Piper

Windows is obviously looking for the dll file in the Eternal Lands directory, since it changes errors when I use an old (or different) one in that directory.

The laptop and desktop are almost identical in reference to software loads. XP Pro SP2, Office 2003 Pro, and four games. Nothing else.

Please try the debug client Labrat posted in the other thread, and post the content of your error log after you run it (but delete the errors log prior to run it).

Please try the debug client Labrat posted in the other thread, and post the content of your error log after you run it (but delete the errors log prior to run it).

As requested.

-----------------------

Log started at 2007-06-04 21:34:58 localtime (US Mountain Standard Time)

[21:34:58] main.c.Main:242 - Debug: beginning init_translatables (called from main.c:main)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:702 - Debug: beginning init_groups (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:706 - Debug: beginning init_errors (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:711 - Debug: beginning init_console (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:715 - Debug: beginning init_help (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:719 - Debug: beginning init_spells (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:723 - Debug: beginning init_stats (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] translate.c.init_translatables:727 - Debug: beginning init_titles (called from translate.c:init_translatables)

[21:34:58] main.c.Main:246 - Debug: beginning init_vars (called from main.c:main

[21:34:58] main.c.Main:250 - Debug: beginning init_stuff (called from main.c:main

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:551 - Debug: beginning int_text_buffers (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:560 - Debug: beginning init_chat_channels (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:567 - Debug: beginning init_fonts (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:573 - Debug: beginning read_config (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:579 - Debug: beginning read_command_line (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:586 - Debug: beginning setup_video_mode (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:594 - Debug: beginning load_translatables (called from init.c:init_stuff)

[21:34:58] init.c.init_stuff:599 - Debug: beginning init_video (called from init.c:init_stuff)

----------------------------

Edited by dust

Ok, that helps a lot.

It seems that you have a problem with your video card..

Try to update your video driver, from the ATI site.

Ok, that helps a lot.

It seems that you have a problem with your video card..

Try to update your video driver, from the ATI site.

I updated the drivers yesterday as well. Have tried everything I can think of, including completely deleting the old client (and the new one), rebooting, downloading the new client again, making all the ini changes to reduce the unknowns, checked every available video setting on the desktop and in the client. Nothing worked, but yes, I agree it appears to be video card related.

Appreciate the thought provoking suggestions.

The problem has been resolved.

I tweaked the Nvidia Control Panel settings and now the client works. A bit 'slow' and jerky (<100FPS for some reason), but I can fix that tomorrow I imagine.

Thanks again.

A bit 'slow' and jerky (<100FPS for some reason), ...

I set FPS cap to 20, and I think the game runs fine (neither slow nor jerky). Anyway, nice hardware specs, I am jealous. :happy:

Cheers,

maj

Appreciate the thought provoking suggestions.

The problem has been resolved.

I tweaked the Nvidia Control Panel settings and now the client works. A bit 'slow' and jerky (<100FPS for some reason), but I can fix that tomorrow I imagine.

Thanks again.

Umm, didn't you have an ATI card?

Well the Radeon is the ATI brand, but an 8800GTX is definitely an Nvidia card. I'm guessing it was a simple mistake.

Well the Radeon is the ATI brand, but an 8800GTX is definitely an Nvidia card. I'm guessing it was a simple mistake.

I have always called them Radeons, but the boxes say Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX Superclocked. I used to run in SLI mode (dual cards), but found so little actually supports that, I had hubby remove one and I am thoroughly thrilled with the performance.

I enjoy the new toy ;-)

Thanks for all your assistance in getting this annoyance resolved. The little message that comes up on login says my card will support all future features of EL. Should be a hoot.

Here woofie, woofie, woofie...