Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Piner

A new spell

Hi all - I did think about a new spell: The spell of duplication. :blush:

This is what it does: If casted, there arises a clone of you (it would have to appear that both you and your clone arise at the same time on a different location than you have been seconds before). The clone would move the same way you do (not circling around you like summons do, just doing the same moves) as long as none is under attack. The clone is of course wearing the same stuff like the original char and has the same stats like you. He is not able to attack, but when attacked he will defend like you would - of course except restoring. When the enemy kills that clone, there would be no db - as it was just a hologram and not you dieing. :mace:

I think that spell (a highlevel spell to cast in my opinion) is useful for pkers to get enemies confused for a short time. That way they can easier escape or even attack better using the cover that noone knows who is the attacker and who is just the clone (esp. in multi maps). It is also useful for monster hunters (a fluff would maybe first attack and kill the clone, so it'd be severly injured when you take over). :medieval:

I could imagine that the exp. your clone gets is given to you, although that is not necessarily a good thing. It would be a nice defensive spell for pkers in any way.

So - that is my idea :pinch: As I am no Pker :blush: there sure will be some things to be fixed by the pros :D And of course - as it is my first ever suggestion - I am ready for all your critics. :bow_arrow:

Edited by Piner

Sounds good, reminds me of the spell mirror image used in many rpg's. When cast it summons 1 or more images, depending on your magic level.

I think it's a good idea, but maybe it should act a bit more like a summon. It might actually be under the summon skill instead of being a spell. It may or may not lose health as time goes on, but there's always the remote heal/heal summoned spell. I am wondering, though, what would happen if two friends duplicated themselves just for the exp. Would there be a way to stop that?

I have a lot of cool ideas too. Too bad they are very hard to implement :/
Maybe you too should post your ideas? That way people could present ideas on how to work them out...unless, of course, you've already decided that they can't work.

If I have ideas that work, I implement them (or put them on a "to implement later" list).

If I have ideas that I know won't work (or be too difficult to implement), then I skip them.

This particular spell is not unique, and variations of it have been used in other games (HOMM, Master of Magic, etc.)

If I have ideas that work, I implement them (or put them on a "to implement later" list).

If I have ideas that I know won't work (or be too difficult to implement), then I skip them.

So, this means this paticular spell belongs to the former, the later, or is this entirely unrelated?

This particular spell is not unique, and variations of it have been used in other games (HOMM, Master of Magic, etc.)

Neither is Heal, Remote Heal, Restoration, Shield, Harm, ... . It's hard to come up with the idea of a spell which has never been used before, and then it would most likely be either of the "hard to implement" category, or fall into the "know they won't work" category ;)

Cheers,

maj

How much modification to regular summoning would be needed to facilitate this spell?

Duplicates are 'enhanced actors' rather than plain creatures, and need different AI rules.

At a minimum, the lead's visible actions are mirrored to the clones -- lead takes off his hat, all the duplicates do so as well.

Movement -- if they are solid, not illusionary, they cannot walk through obstacles, so use the normal pathfinding with a destination of the nearest walkable tile to the lead's destination plus a fixed offset, to retaining a formation. (Each clone has a fixed offset to the caster's position which it maintains through out its life).

Extra bandwidth for enhanced actors -- compare a restricted number of mirror images against an unlimited (?) number of conventional summons. Multiple castings doesn't produce more clones, but might re-create lost clones and heal current ones.

Mirror images shouldn't have the same A/D/health as the real character -- that would get out of hand too easily.

The clones are magical entities; they shouldn't be rated against the caster's attack, defense, or health. Rather, base these on the caster's magical talents (magic skill and max natural mana). For example:
  • If
    illusionary
    : Attack is zero, Defense equals magic skill, and just one health point.

• If
    physical
    : Attack is magic skill, defense is zero (as with summoned?), and health is natural mana ((will + vitality)*4), or some such value.

Both cases armour points can be the same as that of the caster, as these are duplicated or represented.

If duplicates are illusionary, they could just take straight copies of the leads actions regardless -- including walking through walls etc. I would expect them to be dispelled if they take any damage (eg, 1 health, but with the leads defense and armour).

Initially create the clones (illusionary or otherwise) in a formation around the caster. However, 'swap' the caster with one of the clones at random to make it less obvious who is the real one. Possibly "walk" the clones (and caster) from the centre into formation -- one body splitting into several -- could be a nice effect (no new SFX needed).

Edited by trollson

I like this idea, but having the same stats as you seems a little unfair, maybe all the stats are halfed.

There are two ways I could see this working:

1. The clones are illusions; they look like regular characters but they cannot fight. They are models that follow the leader and do what the leader does as far as wearing items is concerned, but not much else. They would have effects on them, such as appearing to be healed when the leader casts the "heal" spell, but they would serve only to confuse PKers about what to fight, not to fight for the leader. They might also act as 'pets' if they ended up this way.

2. The clones are real; you can fight them. They will vanish like summons if you kill them. If you walk onto a PK map surrounded by these clones, they could a) attack the first person in their viewing range, like regular summons, B) attack only if they have been attacked, or c) attack if they, another clone, or the leader has been attacked. They could be programmed to fight as a team or as separate entities. There is, however, a definite problem with this: two friends in warring guilds that duplicate themselves in a PVP arena for the EXP. Any suggestions for preventing this situation are welcome.

This is just an idea for something that may or may not be implemented. You are welcome to look for mistakes in my ideas; I am still learning how everything works and fits together. So, watcha think?

Perhaps these clones could be programmed to only attack animals/monsters not PKers.

If they were attacked I see two possible solutions:

1) Make them unattackable, like the unicorns

2) They would defend themselves however the person who summoned them and the person who is attacking them would get 1/10 (if any) EXP.

Edited by Kieran13

Sounds Great but... People could just use the clone to do everything and the main char wouldn't have to lift a finger.

Sounds Great but... People could just use the clone to do everything and the main char wouldn't have to lift a finger.
I don't think that the character has any more control over the clones than over summoned creatures -- and unlike summoned creatures, clones wouldn't be able to initiate combat.

Whats the point of them then Trollson, if they have the same ability's as a Summon Creature yet they cannot fight. I dont see the point of them then.

Whats the point of them then Trollson, if they have the same ability's as a Summon Creature yet they cannot fight. I dont see the point of them then.

They may not be able to initiate combat, but that does not mean they cannot fight when attacked -- as with non-aggressive creatures. The purpose of clones (in the long tradition of this spell) is to confuse and divert opponents; they are indistinguishable from the caster, so opponents have to choose which one to attack or target (spell or missile).

The clones and caster must be indistinguishable; to bystanders when the spell was caste, and in the information sent to the clients (cf, caster beams out, six clones and caster beam back in). Make sure that speech bubbles don't give the caster away (at a guess they shouldnt?).