Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vwpro

xfire

I didn't know much about xfire, so I searched and found out that it allows to talk to online players without being logged on a game. And that is a feature I would really like to see in EL.

I also found that there's an xfire plugin for Gaim, called gfire (not supported by the official xfire team). That allows Linux users (and Gaim users on Windows, of course) to use the xfire protocol.

Peeps,

Just a reminder. If we want Xfire to implement EL we need to show that we have demand for it...

Posting only once on the Xfire forums won't be enough, because then the thread will just fade away and be forgotten.

We need to keep posting there and bumping the EL thread back up to the top.

Xfire devs said they add the games with the most demand each update.

This doesn't mean we'll never get supported though. Just keep posting there!

Not sure why the requirements would say only windows XP/2000, I've used it on 98 for quite a while.

Yes, apparently it does work for 98 :)

Some functions don't operate properly I've heard though.

And yes, there's a plug-in that allows Xfire to work on UNIX and Mac based systems. :)

But these aren't official (yet), since the Xfire devs say that Windows has about 92% of the gaming market. But yeah anyways, keep supporting! ^^

-Sist

Just an observation...

Maybe some of you who shall remain nameless *stares VERY hard at scarr* ought to clean up your posts. I know I wouldn't want to look at us with some of those posts representing EL in their forums.

I'm wondering, is ent planning to look into this? Afaik they said a game admin needs to take the first steps... I'm not sure he did this already, or is(n't) planning to?

From what I know, there's no need for the game dev/admin to do anything.

The only thing that needs to be done is adding the code that was given to the Xfire guys by the EL players. And of course, they'll need to test it before making it official, so they'll have to download EL and give it a go too. :icon13:

(edit: Ent uses *nix peeps)

Edited by sisteMa`

Hi guys. An update on things. Two things actually.

First of all, I've finally got everything working, this includes the In-Game chat menu (ScrLk+X) which is used to chat/respond with your Xfire friends (regardless of what game the friends are playing), the Built-In screenshots (ScrLk+S). Xfire now automatically detects if Eternal Lands is installed on your machine or not. One-click joining (which means if you see a friend playing EL, just click the 'Join Game' button on him/her and EL will launch) works. It's all good.

The only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is the menu appears only when I go FullScreen (which I guess is acceptable), but when I do so the client gives me weird graphics. :S

eeeky graphics

another one

But on my first try it all seemed fine:

w00t, it works!

If anyone is willing to help me out, I'd really appreciate it, I need to know if it's only my machine that's giving me this problem. You can get the Xfire client here.

Since EL is not supported (yet), you will need to manually enter the code for the client to detect it.

You will need to add this to the file 'xfire_games.ini' in the Xfire installation directory. Just throw it in down in the bottom. The number in the brackets [99] is the game's ID, it's 99 because Xfire has left that ID for testing out games.

[99]
LongName=Eternal Lands
ShortName=el
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eternal Lands
LauncherExe=el.exe
DetectDirDefault=C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands
ProcessWindowTitle=Eternal Lands
Launch=
_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% 
_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS% 
_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%
InGameRenderer=OGL
InGameFlags=DISPATCH_CONURE_MESSAGES|OGL_EXTRA_HOOKS|USE_DINPUT1

If further help is needed you can PM me here or in-game, or just post in this thread.

Second news is I've found out about Xfire Plus, which is a modified version of the original client (made by the same volunteers that have been helping out Xfire from the start) who are more willing to get all those games out there to be supported. I've requested EL to be supported, everything is done and our status is now 'Pending'. If we do get added to Xfire Plus, I'm quite positive our chances to be supported by the original Xfire will rise.

If we do want support by Xfire, we need to keep posting regularly on the EL thread in the Xfire forums, I've said this before and I'm saying it again. Posting once isn't enough. I'm asking those who have posted so far to keep posting, and those who haven't to start.

Thank you.

- Sistema.

edit: you can add me on Xfire, username: sistema

(and tell me who you are in-game if you don't mind :))

Edited by sisteMa`

I think what you have done is great sistema, a big congrats...

I've copied that into my xfire, and it now shows when I play eternal lands etc...

this now gives me insight to start using xfire again, thanks alot

ps. I've added you, and if anyone wants EL xfire friends feel free to add me on: Rockfall

I have recently tried it out and It works great (in windowed mode)!

I have the same problem when going to full screen. Also, when taking screen shots, the screen shot appears all black.

Also, when taking screen shots, the screen shot appears all black.

Yes, same thing happens to me, but it works fine in fullscreen mode.

Great work sisteMa`! I hope you will get the xfire developers to support EL. Personally I don't use it, but it will surely be useful for many others.