Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Ok, should the cooldowns stay or not?

Which makes me wonder how many noobs that came in after cd was implemented voted yes, You dont even know how things were to even give any opinion!!

I hope you realize that your post is supporting cooldown. It implies that cooldown is such a good feature that newbies who come to the game with an unbiased opinion are bound to like it and vote favorable to it. It also implies that the only reason you have to vote against it is because you know how it was before and things were easy to you then. Knowing that most new players don't create forum accounts right away, according to your point of view, this poll is missing A LOT of cooldown favorable votes, which makes me come to the conclusion that it is in fact a very desirable feature. I rest my case.

I say give the mods a chance and lets see some new items and trust that they may make it better :). Besides, i've been looking at the same weapons armor accessories for over a year and it's boring :P. I vote yes keep cooldown

If the cooldown doesn't stay that doesn't mean an end to new weapons/armor/items. of course there will be more, however with the cooldown you will have them + a lot of other different items, mainly to work with the cooldown to present more strategy especially in battle. It basically adds something more to the game that creates more of a challenge for you guys with the cooldown. Because you can't just click potion click potion click potion..you have to think of what items to use that will best help you in a fight more thoughtfully (and with the new items they will help even more-sorry i can't reveal details about them)

We're not stupid, we know that a lot needs to be balanced-and it will be! That's one reason I created that new suggstions forum, so i can directly get your input on many subjects, many of which will be about balancing items for all skills. You complain about it effecting different types of players, well yeah, sure it will! Especially since i't not balanced yet. But we're getting there, one step at a time. Just have pateince and give us good input on the problems and things that are working!

I maybe stepping out of the box here..but I think that alot of people are voting yes because the think that there WON'T ever be anymore new weapons and stuff if cooldown goes away. voting yes (or no) just because there are new items involed is not the reason to vote.

If the cooldown doesn't stay that doesn't mean an end to new weapons/armor/items. of course there will be more, however with the cooldown you will have them + a lot of other different items, mainly to work with the cooldown to present more strategy especially in battle. It basically adds something more to the game that creates more of a challenge for you guys with the cooldown. Because you can't just click potion click potion click potion..you have to think of what items to use that will best help you in a fight more thoughtfully (and with the new items they will help even more-sorry i can't reveal details about them)

Ahh, thank you Roja. I think I finally get the whole picture. If I may: "While cooldown was originally expected to play a role in curbing overproduction, the developers have decided instead to focus on using it to build a more strategic fighting system. In fact, cooldown's impact on production has been minimized as much as possible, and other methods of dealing with production problems are in development."

Is that about right? If so, woohoo cooldown! :)

No in fact I said in another post in this thread I believe, that the cooldown wasn't meant to stop mass production(this is what entropy told me).

Thank you for your response, but I do want to ask the other part (reworded): If I vote yes now, and things are not looking so good after you bring in the new stuff, do I lose the opportunity to positively critique/make suggestions later?

Positive criticism is always welcome, unless we specify an interval where there will be no criticism. As the 1 month period is overt, constructive criticism is OK (on some other thread though).

Ahh, thank you Roja. I think I finally get the whole picture. If I may: "While cooldown was originally expected to play a role in curbing overproduction, the developers have decided instead to focus on using it to build a more strategic fighting system. In fact, cooldown's impact on production has been minimized as much as possible, and other methods of dealing with production problems are in development."

Is that about right? If so, woohoo cooldown! :)

The cooldown has multiple uses (in no particular order)

1. Making it slightly harder to macro.

2. Making the manufacturing process slightly more complex

3. Making use of some relatively unused items (meat, potion of fasting, etc.)

4. Together with some other things, add some strategy to the combat

Positive criticism is always welcome, unless we specify an interval where there will be no criticism. As the 1 month period is overt, constructive criticism is OK (on some other thread though).

Thank you Entropy, this tells me all I feel I need to know to vote now.

I have voted to keep cooldown.

can is not b possible if the cooldown goes to still implement new items? id love to see some new things in the game, i havent seen new items in a while (except 4 the 2 helms which in my view is rediculously over priced) and to me its unfair saying if we vote no well never get the new weapons, arnor and things, they should (in my opinion) be implemented anyway whether the poll says yes or no or even considered, would b nice to c new things in the game, iron sets r becoming in my mind 2 boring and common, mayb add new items where u get 2 colour armor say add x gold ore and a bunch of other stuff and get a manuer 2 mix them makes a gold plate, same thing could go with greaves and cuisses 2 make a gold set, silver set hell mayb even a tit set, if failed mayb the item could become damaged. just a thought because 2 me as i stated b4 its unfair u saying if we vote no well never c these items ingame, id welcome them but im not a fan of the cooldown which is y i voted no but well c how the poll ends. i congratulare the people who worked on this, it as a nice idea but implemented 2 me doesnt really work but was nice 2 c u r working on things 2 add 2 the game :icon13: just give us a little more warning b4 u implement them so i can b more prepared :lol:

Edited by Blaki

Think we've been told there will be new items whichever way we go - just, the currently planned ones are way overpowered without cooldown.

looks like the whole problem comes down to patience, or rather the lack of it.

basicly people only see the here and now, and never asks themselfs what more changes that can come.

the reason entropy says that new items cant come into play if they have to remove cooldown is because the very mechnaics of how the items work is based on the use of cooldown.

i say people should sit back and wait it out, see what entropy and crew are working on. yes, cooldown as it is now is a mess for some groups. but what you see now is not the status quo. it will not stay like this forever.

the reason that they didnt do the whole swap at ones was that they wanted mass testing of the code parts that was ready. that way its easyer to find any bugs that have escaped detection so far.

if they threw in items and other changes on top of the cooldown from day one, it would at times be hard to tell if the bugs where related to specific items or to the cooldown code itself.

give it time people! rome was not buildt in one day, and neither is this game!

removing cooldown at this time would be the biggest waste of coding time this game have seen so far!

and for what? some luddites that cant adjust to change? come on...

or is it because people loose the feel of leetness? that they can no longer make 2000 swords a hour or something?

i say adjust or get lost...

why the tone of this post?

because im dissapointed.

Edited by duran

It has been said that cooldown makes it hard for new persons. This is only wrong if you do not know how to work around it. You can start making reasoning potions and selling them for 15gc and then buy the feasting potions for 10gc. You will not make a profit to start with because you have to buy mana potions to get the vials but you can drink those potions while you make things like FEs without losing any time. When your failure rate drops and you have enough vials which you will then you will actually start to make a profit from feasting potions. This is a good reason for new persons to do it. You can also later mine titanium walk over to WSC sell it and then buy feasting potions. The price of feasting potions is not a problem as you can actually sell any ore in WSC and buy feasting potions just not as many with titanium.

These things along with selling vegetables to get raw meat and of course cooking your own raw meat when someone lights a fire at IP give quite a few easy and useful work arounds for FP. Money has always been a difficult thing for new players and FPs are a new opportunity to make money for new players if they want to go that route. The cooldown does have enough effect that the now truly outdated new help information needs to be rewritten but it does not make things harder for new players.

One of the hardcore pkers told me that you have to make things to get enough money to become a pker. That is easier to do without the delays in making things because you do not have to sacrifice experience points to make things now that the cooldown is in place. That means the entire skill list is now readily accessible to all players and diverity in the market is on the way with a game that is a lot more fun to play. Do not vote no because you think cooldown is bad for newbies because it is not.

TirunCollimdus Is it just my imgagination or did the poll results disappear?

hopefully someone did the smart thing and put a serpent sword thru it...

yes cooldown seems painful at first but what comes after is so much more.