Eternal Lands Official Forums
MannyNZ

Broadening the repertoire of magic

Hi,

In MMORPGs I pretty much like Mage builds and the skill Magic.

Therefore its somehow sad to see that Magic only supports spells up to Level 50 (out of 179?) and personally I don't see the point to level beyond failsafe restore anyways apart from getting extra OA exp.

Therefore I want to suggest to broaden the repertoire of magic with additional high level spells, to give leveling magic skill again new aims.

Knowing that certain weapons have elemental additional damage and already having spells to protect against those elementals I'd like to suggest the counterparts of those protection spells.

At the same time i personally don't see any real use for Enriched Energy Essences so far and according to that http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59494 I'm not the only person here.

Now my suggestions:

* Conflagration: uses 1 Enriched Energy Essence, 2 Magic Essences and 5 Fire Essences

* Blizzard: uses 1 Enriched Energy Essence, 2 Magic Essences and 5 Water Essences

* Lightning Bolt: uses 1 Enriched Energy Essence, 2 Magic Essences and 5 Energy Essences

All of those attack spells do some ground damage depending on magic level + some extra elemental damage (heat/cold/radiation according to the order of names).

As those are just numbers I'd like to get some damage formula proposed by experienced players in order to not imbalance magic skill and provide a nice addition for Mages instead!

It also can be discussed if a new sigil should be introduced for those advanced spells or not.

Generally I would like to hear everyones opinion about my suggestion and hope that we get something useful out of this :)

Kind regards

Some spells I would like to see are:

• "freeze" paralyzes the opponent creature. Doesn't work in pk or on invasion monsters.
  • "disorientation" stops a creature from walking towards you and attacking you for 5 seconds.

We also really need to improve the role of offensive magic outside PK. I understand people are concerned things being overpowered in PK but we can create a spell that people have full resistance against so it is useless in PK. It does a constant 50 damage to any non-invasion/instance/invance creature regardless of caster magic level and monster. The spell can fail sometimes. The chance of success depends on the creature. Little failure on low creatures to fails a lot on dragons. Rationality has no effect on this spell and it uses 35 mana. It cannot be casted while in combat. The cooldown is 3 seconds.

The minimal level is 70. Failure decreases slightly ever 10 levels.

I think there is a lack of remote spells. Magic might be 'too powerful' for pk but what about to help others....

Remote heal is the only real helping spell and the amount it heals (if you are as low in magic as me) is ridiculous.

What about a Mana Replenish? Opposite of Mana Drain to send some mana to a fighter/tank who is in trouble.

Remote disengage. To diss a player off attackers.

Poison removal. To help a player about to die from poison.

Maybe also a teleport to me...to bring players trapped between multiple opponents out into a safer area. (I guess this might make it easier to kill them too)

I think everything that rings, potions and engineering items can do should have a magic equivalent. Most of them do but there are a few gaps.

Everything is a balancing act between value, worth and preventing people from abusing it, I guess.

I would love a poison spell that worked like a pcs. :P

Just a few remarks (and just my personal opinions):

- Mana replenish would be very expensive for the caster: it would cost the mana sent to the other player plus a certain amount to cast the spell.

- Remote disengage: open to abuse: pull a player off a monster you want to kill, just before it dies, and make the kill yourself (and get the drop), or just to annoy him/he.

- "teleport to me" would be very open to abuse: pull a player to a strong monster and grab the DB after wards, pull a player into a PK zone, pull a player into a zone you can't leave w/o spell/ring/beam, etc. Or the range would be so small that the proposed use just wouldn't work. And do you want it to break combat (like a diss ring)?

Maybe also a teleport to me...to bring players trapped between multiple opponents out into a safer area. (I guess this might make it easier to kill them too)

- "teleport to me" would be very open to abuse: pull a player to a strong monster and grab the DB after wards, pull a player into a PK zone, pull a player into a zone you can't leave w/o spell/ring/beam, etc.

TBH i love that suggestion made by SAWolf. I know that magic spell from an other MMORPG and its awesome. In order to counteract revi's worries about that spell getting abused its easy: Once a person gets summoned/teleported to your position, before that happens the other person gets a pop up and needs to confirm that it accepts being teleported to the person executing the spell.

This spell really makes awesome tactics in pk possible. Team pk events will have nice twists with mages executing such spells.

I do agree that this spell needs to be prohibited in some areas, like e.g. Hydro cave, otherwise ppl could bypass the pk areas on hydro runs.

But talking about those preventions of abuse and excluding them, would make that spell a nice interesting feature.

General thanks for those replies so far and for those many additional suggestions of enriching magic skill. Just wondering what do you think about my suggestions? Like/Dislike?

Kind regards ;)

Just my personal opinion on your question, to include enriched essences to the ingredients for these spells would make them probably used ingame as much as the summons which need enriched, which in my opinion is a pity :)

Would not be bad for EEEs to be used in special spells like group Intercontinental portal.

Manny and Hussam both your ideas are great.

I think that they might have to be a little more expensive though as anyone who has ever made Energy Ess has a couple hundred Enriched ones in sto. :D
* Conflagration: uses 2 Enriched Energy Essence, 2 Magic Essences and 50 Fire Essences.
* Blizzard: uses 2 Enriched Energy Essence, 2 Magic Essences and 50 Water Essences

(maybe this could have a freeze/disorientation effect to just give 5 mins of peace from att :) )

* Lightning Bolt: uses 2 Enriched Energy Essence, 2 Magic Essences and 50 Energy Essences

I was thinking that my ideas might have more place in an instance environment. :s

But I feel that posting ideas is futile, there isn't much chance of any being implemented it is too much work.

No, EEE's in spells are an unsustainable idea. They are cheap as hell now, because people make them but nobody can really use them. If they can actually be used, the price will go up until the spell isn't worth casting anymore and there aren't many EEE's on market...

Z

Agreed with Zilding here: now there are many EEE squirreled away in stores perhaps (as some keep making EnE, and thus getting EEE), but current stock has been gathering since December 2012 (say 2 years). Use them for a useful spell, and that stock won't last for more than 3 months, after which the price will start rising... and rising.

That there aren't many on the market isn't a reliable indicator for the number in game: some items like binding stones are hardly available on market, but there were more coming into game than being used (and what about EWE?).

All I want is an area of effect spell. Far too many times a fluff or smething has been under the water, under quicksand or under dirt and I have to wait till it moves to hit it. I don't care if it only does a few points of damage, just enough to get it to move it's sorry rearend.

Edited by Aquila