Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cicero

Testing New Formula

I lag in console mode in fullscreen. I don't think that I would be able to harvest anything with this new idea Lyanna has come up with.

It was originaly duran's idea. I agree, this may lag, but more to the point, i really dont like the 'whack-a-mole' idea in a game like this.

I agree with you Placid 100%, the "wack-a-mole" idea is not appealing to me at all.

Wytter's idea, however, sounds fun, perhaps a card game or something that you can play in a tavern or some kind of chess game.....

Edited by Derin

Wytter's idea, however, sounds fun, perhaps a card game or something that you can play in a tavern or some kind of chess game.....

Indeed, with time I planned this for Barren Moon, but could easily be ported to EL as well... I do not have time for that right now, however :)

Since everybody seem to agree that this (test-server harvest system) is much better, when do we get it implemented in the 'real' game?

This seems to be the tweaking that was needed to get the system accepted.

The question is now: this system seems to be better. However, is it the best we can do? May there not be an even better solution to the harvesting situation? Would it be better to implement this new formula now, and later change it again if another better suggestion is developed, or would it be better to just develop one of the suggestions straightaway, and implement it in lieu of this formula?

-Lyn-

It is better but this is not as cool as it was before Lyanna. Havest is not broken, don't need to be fixed.

I'd like to know why Cicero and Learner perisist with that change instead making server side autoclicker

and make harvest speed as it was before. Still I'd like to hear 3 valid arguments to make harvest slower

- I am not flaming, full relax and simple question that itches me badly.

Regards.

Lyanna,

With this new version, even if it's not completely ready, it's a nice basic start, since all things were taken in account, like Harvest skill etc.

So I don't really think it would harm to use this.

Sure it can always improve, but if you want to make harvest more complex you can start from this base.

The previous update was just a too big difference for harvesting, things can always improve, and frankly I never really thought anything was wrong with harvest, sure maybe it was a bit too fast, but isn't that fixed with this thing now ?

I just hope there will be changes made, harvesting is no fun nemore :/

Greetz

i think it would be best to implement the new formula even if you are working on something better. The way it is now, everything is too slow to be exciting. I personally loved the mother nature update because it added spice to harvesting, but the new update makes it too slow to be interesting.

Lyanna,

this system seems to be better. However, is it the best we can do?

I don't know, but it sure is better than the current one

Would it be better to implement this new formula now, and later change it again if another better suggestion is developed

Yes, it is better to do this now and then (if there is a real need) change it again, like it have been done before. This change (the current one, not the test system) is not fun at all, so improving harvest speed with harvest level taken into account is much better.

just to add my two cents, i don't find the current system too bad, it's not very fast, but it's much faster than harvesting systems in other comparable games (anyone ever played atitd? i remember *days* spent on harvesting grass..) and it doesn't strain the finger joints as much as constant clicking..

i think part of the game is that you just shouldn't be perfect at everything (with the same character), but rather decide what you want to focus on, so some people will just invest so much into harvesting (excavator etc.) that they're really fast, others can do other things..

all in all, great game :ph34r: [apart from storage.. <_< ]

i think part of the game is that you just shouldn't be perfect at everything (with the same character), but rather decide what you want to focus on, so some people will just invest so much into harvesting (excavator etc.) that they're really fast, others can do other things..

Well, this is a quote from the official homepage www.eternal-lands.com

Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!

So, you see, the idea is that you don't *have* to focus in a special area.

And, what if you want to be a good harvester/manufacturer/crafter.... then you need it to be endurable, hence the suggestion to speed the harvesting up. Like the system that is on the test-server.

I have a problem understanding the issue over the harvesting speed...

The current harvesting system was put in with very little play-testing obviously, as it has caused SO many difficulties/boredom for SO many people. Yet this system was installed anyway...

Now on the test server, it's been tweaked, and we've been encouraged to actually go test it, with new chars, current chars, etc... just test, test, test!

So, a LOT of us have gone and tested it, and there hasn't been any negative feedback - its much much MUCH better.

But for some reason, the version we players have tested (and like a lot more!) isn't going in yet... This is despite the problems we have with the current system - which could not have been tested too well, by the nature of so many people being annoyed with it!

Why delay something which is tested and satisfactory, when SO many users are affected by the current system??

This does NOT make sense to me... I have over 22 years of systems analysis/dev/implementation experience, and user-satisfaction is always a major criteria :(

you also probably have 22 years of sales, and in sales its about getting what you want by making the numbers look to be in your favor, and yes there was alotof complaining about the harvesting, and yes many people didn't like it at first.

HOWEVER, i have been in the veggie patch and portland fruit stand for abour 4 days and people that i harvest with are actaully starting to like it more.

Reasons?

1. it encourages AFK play, which lets us do things like

-wash the dishes

-take a bathroom break

-fix something to eat

-run to the store

-have a conversation on the phone

-get schoolwork done

-get bills done

take your pick, there is more, and i cleaned my entire room yesterday and made 5000gc doing it.

not many games explore the possibilities of AFK play, and this is in fact a brilliant idea, because if you are harvest and have even one other ability, you can ddo that all day, and when you need to take a break, set him up harvesting and come back every 1-10 minutes.

Yes there is the problem of Nexuses, Bee stings, and finding gold or whatnot. but I have gone four hours of straight harvesting without any of these thigns. other nights i have been teleported six times. It happens.

Overall you can't say 'Everyone' enjoys the old way of harvesting, as plenty of advantages have started to unravel themselves, and people are starting to enjoy it and change thier style of play, which is also rare in an online multiplayer game

you also probably have 22 years of sales, and in sales its about getting what you want by making the numbers look to be in your favor

Nope, I'm not a salesman at all... as I said, it's analysis/dev/implementation experience. (Mainly high-impact stuff for large multi-nationals on AS400s)

And as for your comment about:

HOWEVER, i have been in the veggie patch and portland fruit stand for abour 4 days and people that i harvest with are actaully starting to like it more.

Reasons?

1. it encourages AFK play, which lets us do things like

-wash the dishes

-take a bathroom break

-fix something to eat

-run to the store

-have a conversation on the phone

-get schoolwork done

-get bills done

take your pick, there is more, and i cleaned my entire room yesterday and made 5000gc doing it.

I thought one of the reasons for the changes was to prevent AFK'ers? Edited by avon

Avon has an excellent point....it's tested, encouraged and accepted as opposed to the current system which isn't. Why the delay in implementation?

MooCow, no offence but 'afk play' is quite the paradox and pretty much what I'd think the devs are trying to avoid to a degree. imho, you're either afk, or you're playing, but not both. =)

Ultimately though, it's by far the general concensus that the server side autoclikcer is an improvement, so much so that I'm sure it's staying. The only thing in question really is the speed, which under the new system seems to be improved (not tried it myself yet but doubt it could be any worse heh).

I never heard anythign about preventing afk play, but by doing enabling the system they have now it sure encourages it. Not to say they are not trying to get rid of AFK play. However even though it is a 'paradox' it is one of the reasons i play the game, because anymore i have no time so 'farm' off of animals or monsters for countless hours just to buy better eq.

I played FFXI for 10 months and the hours put into making money as opposed to playing for fun was almost not worth the money i spent per month. I like this because it makes a point of keeping you in the game, even if you yourself are not at the computer, adn you can get soemthing done in game, and RL at same time.

I understand that many of us have no life to worry about ( Like myself for the past two years or so) but for the people who play games to have fun, having the option to make money being important to do, yet not important to be there while its being done, that saves us a whole load of trouble and frustration when we get home from work and want to fight a goblin, but cant afford that new titanium chainmail which is neccesary for the armor boost.

Also it is not like we are AFK all of the time, because obviously you cannot be gone longer than ten minutes before your load is either complete, or some other random event has stopped your harvesting (bee sting, TP nexus etc.) so it encourages you to stay near the computer, just makes the money flow into the games economy lower.

I 'AM' against macro bots however, which are programmed to harvest, sell, harvest, sell allnight and day. as long as it is the person on the other side of the screen giving orders to harvest and sell I see no real problem with it, because i don't know how they expect you to 'play' while you are harvesting if you cant even move a few steps while doing so.

I see no real reason why both of these features of harvestign cannot be availible, in a toggle mode, where you can toggle either/or. The only thing I can think if is programmign that in would take some time, but so does anythign to be programmed in.

Also it is not like we are AFK all of the time, because obviously you cannot be gone longer than ten minutes before your load is either complete, or some other random event has stopped your harvesting (bee sting, TP nexus etc.) so it encourages you to stay near the computer, just makes the money flow into the games economy lower.

Try 30 minutes or more to complete a full load, and people are missing the point. This isn't about auto-harvesting, it's about harvesting speed.

Oh look here, we finally are back on topic :ph34r:

YES, It is only about the Harvest speed, the system how it is now is beautifully perfect and still open for additional changes, it's only the speed that we are opposed to atm.

And like MooCow pointed out very well, doing things afk IS NOT the issue here.

Special events make you stop harvesting and other stuff which I really don't need to repeat.

I really don't know what they are waiting for, since they never really give us a straight answer, so I think they just mean we should have a little more patience or something. Not that I don't want it fixed ASAP :rolleyes:

Sure, same as alot of people I am too loosing my patience, harvest at this slow rate, but I'm therefor not leaving.

I know alot of people here, including mods, they all are trying their best to make ths game good, it's still BEING made though, which most people forget about .

Greetz,

Salem

I liked to try out the harvesting on test server with one of my main chars, but I couldn't log in

(player unknown), so I created a new char and got this results while harvesting:

50 Red Snapdragon's (i.e. 25 clicks) with levels 1-4 harvesting (rec: 0):

1st run: 30s

2nd run: 34s (including harv event, and a slight move, that's why it's significiantly longer)

50 Red Roses with levels 4-7 harvesting (rec: 6):

1st run: 101s

2nd run: 100s

20 Sunflowers with level 7 harvesting (rec: 12):

1st run: 134s

2nd run: 128s

50 Tiger Lilly with level 7 harvesting (rec: 0):

1st run: 50s

2nd run: 50s

Because of the experience with the time needed to harvest sunflowers I decided not to try out

veggies/fruits B)

Although the time to harvest sunflowers seem to be very long, I think those values are

reasonable if you take into account, the difference of 5 levels between my current harvesting

level and the recommended level for sunflowers.

I harvest 7.5 tit ore/min with harvest lvl 34.

This question has already been asked but no one has answered yet: What is the exact formula?

can anyoen teach how to change port please

Edit the file el.ini in your EL folder, and change the line

#server_port = 2000

to

#server_port = 2001