Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cicero

Don't Click Teh B34rs

What would you give up to have auto harvesting on the server?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What would you give up to have auto harvesting on the server?

• Harvesting speed (once every 2 secs)
    • Harvesting speed (required level / 4 secs)
    • Harvesting speed (other, please specify)
    • Increased difficulty in harvesting
    • More bad events
    • My left kidney
    • Nothing
    • I don't care, I macro harvest all day
    • Other (please specify)

I use a auto clicker to save my hand from killing me worse than it is...lol... but just got non afk hav..... and watch dvd's and tv as i play... so never really gets boring hav. to me....

:P sounds like me,but i have small storage so it don't take long to fill one bag up

one thing bad about harvesting,the messages like "Harvest Failed" and "You collected # blah blah" they all go into your chat log,my chat_log.txt is now at 1.10 MB,and thats because i don't chat alot,im thinking off wripping it clean in a day or so

Edited by Buuhan1

I use a auto clicker to save my hand from killing me worse than it is...lol... but just got non afk hav..... and watch dvd's and tv as i play... so never really gets boring hav. to me....

B) sounds like me,but i have small storage so it don't take long to fill one bag up

one thing bad about harvesting,the messages like "Harvest Failed" and "You collected # blah blah" they all go into your chat log,my chat_log.txt is now at 1.10 MB,and thats because i don't chat alot,im thinking off wripping it clean in a day or so

There is an option in your config file (at least in mine) to not log things such as "you have harvested blah blah" and only log chat and stuff like that. Also you can ignore harvest messages. #ignore harvest (for the harvest failed messages) #ignore you (for basically any other messages including lvling and stuff)

Just wondering. In case, you know . . . we were going to put this in . . . or something. Just hypothetically, of course . . .

Of course B)

Oh no, not required levels again. I hated those...it made me feel so...bleh. I couldn't do anything when I had a low level and then there goes a source of money and food for newbs.

required level == reccomended level.

It was never really renamed on the server, the formulas were just changed.

required level == reccomended level.

It was never really renamed on the server, the formulas were just changed.

yes like lvl 0 harvesting to get snaps 8 for red roses 15 for sulfur then the newbies wouldnt complain that making ess was to hard cuz they cant get any sulfur... they would have to build there harvesting lvl up before they can start on the easyer stuff like alch

Would the people who want to keep sending automated clicks back and forth over the network, when they could just as well be done on the server be willing to pay the bandwidth bill?

I would not be surprised if these automated clicks are 50% of the total bandwidth used.

It isn't only the clicks, its the harvest messages as well. Even if you ignore them, they are still being sent to your system. Under the new serverside harvesting, you only get a harvest start and a harvest stop message.

Hmm, if you only send HARVEST_START and HARVEST_STOP, how do i know when i have to stop?

Lets say i wanna get 150 roses and 150 snap dragons, how do i know when i have got 150?

Because if you dont send a message for every harvested item, how will you update the amount in the inventory?

Piper

The amount in inventory gets updated as each item is harvested. What was removed was simply the text messages for duccess or failure of harvesting.

Ok i think i did note see this addressed anywhere other than the title of the post.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE BEARS???

with the new autoclicker will we be able to harvest for once in our life without having to worry about clicking on a bear... garg etc....?????

if that's the case i am willing to accept whatever the development team finds more suitable for compensating this implementation and balancing out the game.

Edited by giannis

B) sounds like me,but i have small storage so it don't take long to fill one bag up

My chat logs are together 43 MB and I have ignore the "you failed" etc...

My chat logs are together 43 MB and I have ignore the "you failed" etc...

I lost my original chat log :angry: My current one is about that big though, and I rarely play :angry:

Yeah, but it would be LEGAL afk macro harvesting. If you can't stop it, tax it and legalize it. Selling a kidney on Ebay. I tried it, cost me 30 cents beacuse it would cost them too much in shipping.

there is no such thing. it legal to auto-harvest.. macroing is a whole other story.

The amount in inventory gets updated as each item is harvested. What was removed was simply the text messages for duccess or failure of harvesting.

Ok... that sounds perfect to me. I think, ill love that feature ;-)

Its a little bit off topic, but when youre starting to remove useless messages, could we plz get rid of my ole friend, the "You are too far away" message and move the char instead to the position, where i clicked?

What i really hate is hunting creatures and then, when i click on them, the char stops moving and shouts "You are too far away". I KNOW THAT, SO JUST MOVE YOUR A** AND GET THIS NASTY RABBIT!! ;-)

Piper

Yeah, but it would be LEGAL afk macro harvesting. If you can't stop it, tax it and legalize it. Selling a kidney on Ebay. I tried it, cost me 30 cents beacuse it would cost them too much in shipping.

there is no such thing. it legal to auto-harvest.. macroing is a whole other story.

This is going into the client, hypothetically. If it is hypothetically in the client, it is hypothetically legal.

I already use MyMouse... I use a mouse too much and don't want RSI coming back (again!!!), and having my wrist strapped for another 3 months!

**or we could just give everyone 258 harvesting... (or is it still 120?)**

Hmm, as for a server side auto-harvester, will there be a configuration available, and now that there is going to be a server side auto-harvester, what steps will be used to prevent players from using it as just another means of afk harvesting? sure, you've taken away the pain that harvesting may cause legitimate players, but have you also not eliminated a step in the macroing process? :D

hmm, now where did my walk to go....

I mean erm, if I pick I macro harvest all day, am I going to get banned? :ph34r:

ehm, /4 sounds good to me... :P

~E.S.

With auto harvesting both legal, and easilly available, why trade of it being included in the server side for yet another nail in the coffin of the non purebread neg perk warrior. Its only an easy skill to level to the early 20's then the 120 harv limit, bites in and stops it becoming a dominant skill.

Might as well just remove harvest, alch, manu crafting and pot making while were at it.

or perhaps hav events like ingredients blowing up during pot making, or for alchemy yor screen can go blured for an hour if you get the random "you got high on mercury fumes" event. And we cant forget the unavoidable "you accidentally sat on the serp you were making" event.

Crafting has also been missed, Im sure a random event for that could be you swallowed the ring you just made and will take 1 hp dammage per second till it comes out naturally in 24 hours or so?.

Cant miss out summoners with the "the fluffy you summond has pmt" event, and of course spellcasting, perhaps give the portals room spell a 80% chance of landing you in kf.

Perhaps ive wandered into a bit of a rant, but really, the world of EL is not so slowly pushing the fighter class as the only viable option. Harvesters already have a rough enough ride, and really dont need to be asked what extra disadvantage would you like for us to ad a feature that is already commonly available in the form of a legal autoharvester?

EDIT:

I dont object to the server taking the harving burden from the client. Just the possability of trading it for another harvesting disadvantage

Edited by the_antiroot

erm, i like tht required lvl/4 thingy

but, what about level 1 harvestable items....... o.O and when u have a cloak/perk, uber harvesting speed!!!!! >.<

My thoughts:

Harvesting (and manuing for that matter) as it is currently implemented is repetative and tedious.

Repetative & tedious tasks are more suited for a machine rather than a human.

This is why human players of this implementation choose to use macros and autoharvesters. (to shift the burden of the repetative/tedious tasks to the machine)

(I realize there are, and always will be, some players who just want to cheat. I am not talking about these players)

This is a role playing game and should be interactive. But Click, click, click, click, clicking... is more mind-numbing than interactive.

Therefore:

Any change in the game that shifts repetative/tedious tasks to a machine will eliminate the motive for players to automate these tasks themselves. It shouldn't matter to the typical human player whether they are implemented in the client or server, as long as they don't have to deal with it themselves. (Although server side changes can better address the bandwidth issue.)

My ideas on how harvesting could be done:

Click on item to be harvested -> Dialog pops up ->

"How many Red Snapdragons do you wish to attempt to harvest?"

user input: 5000

"Sorry u cannot harvest more than u can carry."

user input: 200

Harvest attempt begins:

(Players don't seem to mind waiting as long as there is some feedback as to the progress of the action. Progress bar? Scrolling text? whatever.)

Wait time could be determined by harvest lvl of player, difficulty of item, current nexus, randomized, or be a combination of these factors.

Harvest attempt ends:

"You successfully harvested 170 of 200 Red Snapdragons receiving XX Exp Points. You were stung by a bee and lost 5 health. You found 5 gold coins. You must wait X minutes before harvesting again."

Situation 2 (Sapphires):

"You harvested only 2 of 100 sapphires, and you broke your pickaxe. Try increasing your harvest experience.)

Of course, events and success rate would vary depending on the item harvested and player lvls, etc. These are just 2 simple examples to give you a feel. Use your imagination.

Side note:

Manufacturing could be improved using these same principles.

Conclusion:

If the developers are considering server side changes anyway, I think this is a better way to go about it. The need for autoclickers would be ELIMINATED and macroing would also be reduced.

LOL the server update happened while I was posting this.

I like what I have seen with the server side autoharvesting. It can still be improved.

The Manufacturing however is even MORE tedious than before. It could be easily corrected with a 'Mix all' option.

Edited by Geldon

I wouldnt give up anything for the changes that has been made, unless it goes alot faster.

Geldon made some nice suggestions imo about the messages, I don't even know when I'm full now.

But PLEASE make it faster, harvesting is my main profession, and this really ruined the game for me.

Greetz,

Salem